Hazel Grove – Project

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Re: Hazel Grove (update)

Postby Zylah » 17 Sep 2008, 20:22

!! :boggle: Romelia!! Girl, you are AMAZING! I just found this thread today and am so inspired and thrilled! Total respect! :tiphat: May the fruit of all your labors be as sweet and fulfilling as it looks.

Wish I could bring a bottle of Captain Morgan :mead: and sit by the chiminea with you! :hug:
Where the forest murmurs there is music: ancient, everlasting.
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 18 Sep 2008, 15:46

Thanks Z!
Wish I could bring a bottle of Captain Morgan and sit by the chiminea with you!
You can in spirit my friend! :gulp:

BB

Romelia
“Millennium hand and shrimp”
http://solitary---romy.blogspot.com/

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 02 Oct 2008, 15:28

Hi folk a few more pics I took today! Everything is nearing an end at the grove apart from a few winter greens and some pumpkins. Now everything is dying back hopefully we can begin construction of an outhouse and sort out next years beds.

Image...Image

Image...Image

Image...Image
Last edited by Romelia on 04 Oct 2008, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ade Sundog
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ade Sundog » 04 Oct 2008, 13:27

Romelia - thanx for the pics , they are an in-spireation , keep up the good work . :D
This tread rocks my world .

:peace:
:sun:

Og - Ha - Be

Make Tea Not War :greenpeace:

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 04 Oct 2008, 18:15

Thanks Wintersundog :oops:
Ill try to do my best! :D

BB

Claw

butterfly watcher
OBOD Bard

Postby butterfly watcher » 20 Nov 2008, 13:31

Hi romelia, looks like you had a good year at Hazel Grove. :D How did the problem with the Japenese Knotweed go? My brother in-law had some sprout up in his garden. :o
Butterfly watcherImage

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 20 Nov 2008, 14:17

Hi BW,
Yeah it was a good year at the grove. But I didn’t get all the things done that I wanted. Now I have a new job in education, and it means I get more time to go and play there. So hopefully next year a lot more will take shape.

The knotweed came back. But I have decided not to waste my energy on it. Apparently there is a new bug that eats it, so ill keep an eye open to new developments on that.

I would hope that next year ill have started my cob hut and finished the nature pond. Im currently studying an environmental course that’s helping me understand the management of ecosystems. It’s going to come in very handy.

BB

Romelia :curtsey:

butterfly watcher
OBOD Bard

Postby butterfly watcher » 20 Nov 2008, 15:11

I saw the bug on T.V, lets hope it just destroys the Knotweed and not everything else. Sometimes when people introduce new animals and plants they don't think very far ahead and whatever they have introduced goes on to become a bigger problem than their original one. :roll: Like the cane toad problem in Australia.

I think the cob hut sounds great, if I built one in my garden I would end up living in it. :D Good luck with your education job and for next year at Hazel Grove. BW
Butterfly watcherImage

Aleph
OBOD Bard

Postby Aleph » 24 Dec 2008, 04:11

What is an allotment? It sounds like someone gave you free land. Do they give away plots of land in the UK, just for asking? :huh:

Corvin

Postby Corvin » 24 Dec 2008, 05:12

Just discovered the thread. Thanks for sharing with us. Your hard work is evident.

Nathair Mac Brighit

Postby Nathair Mac Brighit » 24 Dec 2008, 10:17

It's amazing^^
you are making a good work! Hazel is the most powerfull tree of protection and wisdom...so, good luck!!!

Nathair M.B.
Beo fada Is Bas in Eirinn

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 24 Dec 2008, 12:11

Hullo folks,
I was hibernating under the knotweed and heard some voices so I thought id come out and say ta for the visit!
Once again not much has happened here due to the calls of duty at work and home. But now it seems the local school where I work is very interested in my expertise in environment and the grove :whistle: . Next term its my duty to sort out there green house and in turn my own .Im lucky as the school looks over the grove, and in the spring/summer I look forward to popping over in my lunch to sit and day dream a while.....
What is an allotment? It sounds like someone gave you free land. Do they give away plots of land in the UK, just for asking?
An allotment is an area of land that can be rented from the local council for a reasonable price to grow fruit, veg and keep small amounts of livestock. Its handy if you don’t have the space at home. However theses days there are long waiting lists as it’s rather fashionable to have one. A bit annoying really, as I know people with huge gardens who have got or getting allotments.
During the war it was common to have an allotment. I think they provided a large portion of food for the towns at that time. It’s a shame that we don’t all try growing like that again. Builds responsibly and community I think.

Thanks for poping in.....

Now I really must get back to stuffing the gooses arse*! Happy Christmas Everyone!
Romelia :curtsey:

Aleph
OBOD Bard

Postby Aleph » 24 Dec 2008, 20:53

What is an allotment? It sounds like someone gave you free land. Do they give away plots of land in the UK, just for asking?
An allotment is an area of land that can be rented from the local council for a reasonable price to grow fruit, veg and keep small amounts of livestock. Its handy if you don’t have the space at home. However theses days there are long waiting lists as it’s rather fashionable to have one. A bit annoying really, as I know people with huge gardens who have got or getting allotments.
During the war it was common to have an allotment. I think they provided a large portion of food for the towns at that time. It’s a shame that we don’t all try growing like that again. Builds responsibly and community I think.

That is an awesome idea. I wonder if there is a way something like this could be implemented in the states? Does anyone have links to specific law/policy regarding this? I would love to do some research on the matter.

Corvin

Postby Corvin » 24 Dec 2008, 23:47

Any more news on that man (should i say person?) hole you found on the property?

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 26 Dec 2008, 09:05

Any more news on that man (should i say person?) hole you found on the property?
Ah yes the man hole thing......In short I won the battle! Its still there but i rearranged it so that it becomes one of the levels in the pond. It was where the deepest point was going to be. But I shifted it to the side of the hole a little.

BB

R
:curtsey:

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 27 Dec 2008, 17:27

Just thought id post a few recent pics of Yule and The Grove

Image.Image
Image.Image
Image.Image

Have a wizza New Year folks!

BB

Romelia

Saule
OBOD Bard

Re: Hazel Grove – Project

Postby Saule » 30 Dec 2008, 17:51

Very nice Romelia. I get very excited when this thread is updated. Thank you.

Abhalainn

Postby Abhalainn » 17 Jan 2009, 04:01

So very beautiful and inspiring! :D
It's been great to see how everything has grown, and all the pictures are wonderful.
We are renting and the garden is looking all dry and pitiful in the hot weather, but I'm starting to feel motivated now... thanks! :applause:
Vivemus et amemus- Ovid

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 25 Jan 2009, 18:30

Here are a few more pics from today’s trip to the grove.
There are a few more ideas bouncing around my head about the use of cob. So I hope to put them in to action this year, and hope things start to take a bit more shape

Image.Image

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Postby Hennie » 25 Jan 2009, 18:42

Looks great!
California sunlight, sweet Calcutta rain
Honolulu starbright - the song remains the same
I always loved Led Zeppelin :grin:

Hennie