Ceremonies for Tree & Grove Planting

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Ceremonies for Tree & Grove Planting

Postby Dryadia2 » 11 Sep 2007, 22:09

Here is a link for a Ceremony for Planting a Single Tree:
http://druidry.org/obod/sac_grov/ceremonytree.html

Here is a link for a Ceremony for Planting a Grove:
http://druidry.org/obod/sac_grov/ceremonygrove.html

Peace and Blessings,
:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ceremonies for Tree & Grove Planting

Postby Fox » 26 Feb 2008, 00:10

Thanks for that, Dryadia, we will be planting some trees in our communal courtyard soon, so these ceremonies should come in handy! :tiphat:
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

kproefrock
OBOD Ovate

Postby kproefrock » 26 Feb 2008, 03:55

Hello Dryadia!

Those are beautiful rituals!! Thank You for the link!

Here is a link to a tree planting ritual from a slightly different Druidic perspective.
All in the name of diversity.
I love them all :)

http://www.whiteoakdruids.org/ritualswh ... sItemID=24

Have a wonderful day!
Kenneth
We did not arrive, like birds on barren branches; we grew out of this world, like leaves and fruit. Our universe "humans" just as a rosebush "flowers." Alan Watts

D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Postby D'Arzhur » 26 Feb 2008, 09:40

Sunday we worked in our garden and digged out a fire pit in the middle of a grass area next to a bench made of an old beam and 2 boulders... I have marked the 4 directions with stones and we had our first ritual fire... (and cooked potatoes and onions.. :grin: )...I have decided to plant one tree, a white birch (around 3/4 meters high)... not far from the fire pit to complement the already present ornamental cherry tree and a "baby" tree (gifted by the wind !)...
I have mature trees in the garden already but this one is an offering... :warm:
I am really looking forward to a ceremony when planting this new tree ...so thank you both for sharing those planting ceremonies :) :hug:
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage
Image :daraoi: :awen:

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 26 Feb 2008, 19:30

Thanks for the additional link, Kenneth!
Diversity is lovely! :cloud9:

If anyone else has any other tree or grove planting rituals they would like to share, please feel free to add them! :shake:

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

trishiow

Postby trishiow » 28 Feb 2008, 00:14

Could anyone tell me if its ok to plant Elm saplings in a tree circle. I have some proected species along with some oaks that need planting but the elms are not in the list of trees.
Thanks

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 28 Feb 2008, 04:40

Greetings and Welcome Trishiow!

You should certainly plant whatever trees you wish. Many people have special attractions or a closeness with tree types that aren't even native to their area, let alone Ogham trees. I have elms in my yard, but actually have pecan trees included in my backyard grove, amongst the oaks (which were already here when I moved in). I particularly love pines, and have planted 2 just outside the grove area, so they could get more sunlight to grow. I have planted different types of trees in various parts of my yard where I thought they would have the best chance of growing and prospering, not necessarily in the 'grove' area.

You might want to consider things like soil type, climate, water requirements, how fast (or slow) the trees will grow, whether they like full sun, or partial shade, etc. when planning your grove, and considering what trees to plant.

Bright Blessings and Happy Planting! :treehug1:

Lora
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lora » 04 Mar 2008, 16:49

I agree with Dryadia, plant what you want, but take the conditions into consideration. I think it's a great idea to plant elms if you are in an area where they will not succumb to Dutch Elm Disease or if you can find disease resistant cultivars.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 25 Apr 2008, 05:37

Thanks for the sacred words,, This fall when the mast crop falls i will be collecting and grading only the best acorns to be planted in honor of all the birthdays so far
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Nanigae
OBOD Bard

Postby Nanigae » 20 May 2009, 14:10

Thanks for sharing this ceremony. I planted a beautiful River Birch in my yard last night. She's just wonderful! I included a small beaded token in the ritual for the tree fairies to encourage them to watch over this birch long after I'm gone.

/I\ Nanigae

Dragonling

Postby Dragonling » 22 Aug 2012, 20:25

Here is a link for a Ceremony for Planting a Single Tree:
http://druidry.org/obod/sac_grov/ceremonytree.html

Here is a link for a Ceremony for Planting a Grove:
http://druidry.org/obod/sac_grov/ceremonygrove.html
Since the update to the OBOD site in February (or possibly before, since the last post on this thread was from '09), these pages have vanished without a trace, and I've not been able to find a cached copy. :( Would anyone happen have a copy they could upload or know where I might find them?

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 22 Aug 2012, 23:38

Sorry, Dragonling.
The links are five years old. I haven't got a clue what they were to. A quick look on the OBOD site says "create your own ceremony". Maybe somebody else knows.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 13 Mar 2014, 22:16

Well for several years now I have planted hundreds of oaks all over my 2 acres and on lots of open areas along the trails,,Many took well only to be eaten by deer (deer eaten by me :grin: ),,,In the last 6 years I have many that are in the 5 foot range and with gental clearing of some whitepine and brushy scrub ill have a huge oak forest all around my home,,My ceremonie starts onmy knees and placing the acorn in the hole with a prayer for long life
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Return to “Greening Gaia”