Who's got a staff?

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Kima
OBOD Bard

Re: Who's got a staff?

Postby Kima » 01 Apr 2011, 08:43

What is a staff for?
Beating up demons unfortunate enough to step into my circle.

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 01 Apr 2011, 09:12

What is a staff for?
Beating up demons unfortunate enough to step into my circle.
What!? You discriminate against demons? I thought druidry was all-inclusive and all about peace, free love and understanding?
Demons go through hellish times anyway, with less and less people believing in them.

Say, DJ, isn't it time for you to start a new pet project? Like a "Save the Demons" campaign? Or perhaps we could all curse water at a set time and provide a home for them in the crystals that form?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 01 Apr 2011, 16:02

@ Nico

I like to use a small staff to cast my circle. I'm not sure why but it makes it a lot more real. And the wand's too short to beat anyone up, really :shrug:

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 01 Apr 2011, 16:33

@ Nico

I like to use a small staff to cast my circle. I'm not sure why but it makes it a lot more real. And the wand's too short to beat anyone up, really :shrug:
true... but I don't like beating up people or things with a staff. That is soooo BC.
I use swords and spears for that. I once killed a Holly King with a sword with Midsummer, and the Oak Queen 6 months later. And twice a Beltane Queen with a spear. And my own throat was cut with a knife once or twice with Lughnasadh.
I wonder if druids in the future will use guns for that, because it has a more authentic feel than phasers.

Anyway, I did make a staff, but I have never used it because I don't really know what to use it for.
I use my finger or a wand to cast a circle, but that wand is just an undecorated stick that I found.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 01 Apr 2011, 17:36

Wow Nico, you are really taking this "wild druidry" thing seriously eh? :daraoi:
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

skh
OBOD Ovate

Postby skh » 01 Apr 2011, 17:58

To lean on while standing in the circle in group rituals?
I don't think anybody ever died thinking they loved people too much, or had too much joy, or made too much music.

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 01 Apr 2011, 18:09

well, skh, during my first group ritual that I facilitated (with someone else) I nearly died from stagefright so yes, to lean on...
Last edited by Lily on 01 Apr 2011, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 01 Apr 2011, 18:48

The staff (or wand) I use now comes from a beech branch that stood in the way of my circle. I decorated it a little by removing strands of bark. It is curved at the end which makes it easy to hold when I walk (although it's not big enough to lean on properly) and which I also use to cast the circle. I might add an owl feather, but am not sure yet.
That would make it look a lot more New Age :anx:

Daire

Postby Daire » 13 Apr 2011, 19:14

Anyway, I did make a staff, but I have never used it because I don't really know what to use it for.
I use my finger or a wand to cast a circle, but that wand is just an undecorated stick that I found.
Haven't found much use for casting circles, but this sounds much like me. I have had a staff now and then, undecorated just a large stick. No idea why, or what to use it for, but Druids always look cool holding one.

Dáire

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Postby cursuswalker » 14 Apr 2011, 18:02

This thread is the ideal arena for this little bit of self-satire :)

THE STAFF DELUSION

Once there was a Druid
Who had a mighty staff
‘Twas six foot long and of good girth
And impressed his other half

And then one day he lost it
Or did he throw it away?
In any case from that day on
Other druids were made to pay.

For from that day he loudly claimed
At gorsedd, moot and grove
That there was no evidence for staffs
And for arguments he strove.

Now some among the druids
Were patient to explain
That the gurt big sticks they held aloft
Could be used just like a cane.

While others there were among them
Who asked why he could not see
That it was clear that there were staffs
So why not let it be?

He replied with a certain brashness
That the objects they held were posts
Or staves at best, or even poles,
Walking sticks at the most.

And from that day on when in a robe
He carried a bag of twigs
For this, he declared, was the reality
For a druidic-staff skeptic.
ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 14 Apr 2011, 18:58

awesome :shake:

Lily

-Ben Goldacre

bioai

Postby bioai » 17 Apr 2011, 22:07

I've found this thread very useful, as I too am looking at making a staff, thanks everyone.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 18 Apr 2011, 00:02

I have two staves. One I found walking my dog...it is about 5' long and has a knot of wood at the end that looks like a dragon...including a bit of moss for hair...I haven't done anything to finish it, but it has natural worm etchings that look like elf writing...I marveled at it on the forest path for a long time, until a dog snatched it from me and I chased it down and wrestled the branch from it, and explained to the startled and frightened owner that it was my stick. I've used it at a few group activities because it lends balance to the robe and makes me feel druidy.

I have another straight and hefty branch, about 6 feet, with a pair of deer antlers attached to the top. The antlers were in the basement rafters of our house when we bought it...I remember seeing them when we did the tour and hoping that they would leave them. This staff rests in the corner of my basement pub looking magnificent.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

penyou
OBOD Ovate

Postby penyou » 14 Nov 2011, 08:31

Hi

I have a staff that was gifted to me from our 3rd order grove member. It's a maple staff, was gifted at my initiation at Beltane. I have decided that i would like to use pyrography, to symbols on my staff, and i practicing on odd pieces of wood that i have salvaged from a friend of mine who is a cabinet maker. Im from Swansea, but i now live in Canada, hence the maple.

Ade Sundog
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ade Sundog » 19 Nov 2011, 15:03

I have a staff , or more likely , a stick ( a thumb stick ) . It is made of Hazel , it comes from a Hazel thicket i was coppicing , a few years
ago. It is nice and straight. I left the bark on , and sanded it down lightly ,then rubbed linseed oil in.

I used to think i needed a staff , then i wondered what for. So now it's a walking stick , and very nice too :)
:sun:

Og - Ha - Be

Make Tea Not War :greenpeace:

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Postby Twyrch » 19 Nov 2011, 17:45

I am considering making a staff out of the branch of a young elm tree and would like to know more about the way others have done it. Can you describe your staff, the reasons why (and how) you made it, and what you use it for? I want to make sure that if I decide to go for it I will do every step thoughtfully
:a:
I got a staff, but I bought mine. It was hand carved by someone in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and has the Green Man carved into the top of the staff. It's 6 feet long and is made of Ash wood. I love this staff and felt a connection to it, even though I didn't carve it myself.
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Karl

Postby Karl » 28 Nov 2011, 23:25

As Winter is getting on here in the UK I've been seriously contemplating cutting myself a staff, more for walking in the snow and ice than anything else. However I have one small conundrum.

I'm a very 'earth' element person, prefering the deeper, more ancient aspects of things, looking back instead of forward, and so forth. SO I am tempted to have as decoration at the head of my staff the rootball of the small tree. Of course this means that the wood of the staff would be inverted, and the tree would be (gasp) upside down! Which just doesn't seem right. So I ask you all what your opinion on this matter is?!
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

Duellist
OBOD Bard

Postby Duellist » 29 Nov 2011, 15:35

I have a staff, but (to my shame) I am not actually sure what species of tree it comes from. I found a branch in roughly the right size, broken free of a tree by heavy winds, then trimmed off the jagged edge at the wider end to make it the bottom. I really should work out what family of tree it belongs to, but it was kind of sitting there in the path waiting for me rather than something I went looking to acquire.

It's been about a year since I found it and it is half-stripped of bark, unpolished, unwaxed and waiting to be finished. I think I kept meaning to do it 'before the next grove celebration' and then failed to make it to one since last year. (my wife can't get weekends off work)
Sanity is overrated...

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 01 Dec 2011, 15:44

I am tempted to have as decoration at the head of my staff the rootball of the small tree. Of course this means that the wood of the staff would be inverted, and the tree would be (gasp) upside down! Which just doesn't seem right. So I ask you all what your opinion on this matter is?!
That's what Gandalf has in The Lord of the Rings, and his pipe is hidden among the roots :o

Karl

Postby Karl » 02 Dec 2011, 14:33

:o If it's good enough for Gandalf it's good enough for me!
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

Return to “Greening Gaia”