Permaculture: A druidic way for reviving horticulture

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Mesotes

Permaculture: A druidic way for reviving horticulture

Postby Mesotes » 02 Jan 2013, 00:58

This druid would like to share with you, the reader, a profoundly new, groundbreaking revival of being true stewards of the earth: permaculture. This is what I do with my spouse, not just as a hobby anymore, but it's become a way of life on our little homestead in the Pacific Northwest, USA.

I could write pages upon pages of this, but for an introduction, I'll first present a lecture, discussing this lifestyle from an historical perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLKHYHmPbo

And also, here is a link to how we can apply it. Information of all sorts, involving forum posts, back and forth discussions with people who are experienced in this type of living. Lots of information on this site:

http://www.permies.com/

Enjoy!
The fowls of the heavens, and of the beasts whatever is beneath the earth, or upon the earth, and the fishes of the sea, these are they that draw you unto the Divine.
Oxyrhynchus Papyri (Gnostic fragments in Greek)

ecstaticearth
OBOD Bard

Re: Permaculture: A druidic way for reviving horticulture

Postby ecstaticearth » 02 Jan 2013, 05:29

Being a permie myself the principles of permaculture are intergrated within my approach to Druidry.

Although I am an aussie Toby Hemenways 'Gaias Garden' is one of my favourite permie texts.

I realise this is not an actually druids grove, but I really like this idea for the possibility of a grove for practicing Druids - http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/ ... -classroom - http://www.beaverstatepermaculture.com/ ... aculture-3

Not sure if I would say permaculture is new, although it is groundbreaking, having been a termed approach and philosophy since the 70's.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 02 Jan 2013, 06:38

I'm on the permies-board myself, it's a great source of info.
Permaculture in all aspects is something I'm cultivating and growing in my life, it's a journey.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Mesotes

Postby Mesotes » 02 Jan 2013, 09:32

Excellent. It's nice to know we have some practicing here on this board.

Maybe I'd missed something related to this topic already on this board, but I figured I'd share it anyway to see if anyone was familiar.

It's certainly not something "new" in the sense of just being brought into existence as a concept. But in the context of being something on the rise, certainly here in America compared to the conventional monoculture food farming, we have something special.

It's good to see people already picking up on this. I'd just like to continue to spread it, because now I'm seeing more and more people coming on to it; something "new" for them. :)
The fowls of the heavens, and of the beasts whatever is beneath the earth, or upon the earth, and the fishes of the sea, these are they that draw you unto the Divine.
Oxyrhynchus Papyri (Gnostic fragments in Greek)

GreenOak51
OBOD Ovate

Postby GreenOak51 » 27 Feb 2013, 04:01

As Susan Weed would say "Green blessings" everyone. :D Another permie here.

Thank you for sharing that youtube video, Mesotes. I've just watched it - because it's always good to hear who's saying what, seeing what's new out there and finding places and people from whom we can learn. I have to say it's completely friendly! It isn't mired down in technical speak, it isn't overwhelming in approach and the lead up from the beginning of homo to now is easy to understand. A little depressing but we're finding our way forward.

What my guild has realized is that while permaculture is spreading, the word itself is intimidating to people who don't know where to start. We're trying to find ways to 'friendly' that up to take to our communities.

Thanks again!

Peace,
T
/|\
Every blade of grass has its angel bending over it whispering "grow, grow!" ~~ The Talmud

IsabelC
OBOD Ovate
Location: Northern California, WAY above the Bay Area in in the Great Sacramento Valley

Postby IsabelC » 26 Mar 2015, 23:26

:yay:
Add another couple of Permies to the Druid boat!
I'm Isabel and my partner Alder (Adiantum on here) just signed up for the OBOD Bardic course. We were teaching in Georgia, and have 11 years experience together (he has another 10 or so on top of that) in permaculture sites and heavy duty permaculture design.
We're in California now, on a new site for 4 years now.

But yes, we are both very spiritual and very plant oriented people and Druidry just seems to mesh incredibly well with Permaculture. It's like the practical and the spiritual side of the same way of life! I envision the day when Druid gatherings will include a permaculture class :)
Glad to find another Susun Weed student on the boards too-she's been a great teacher.

Good to know there's some permies on board!!
Isabel
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, 
finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything. I would not change it. -Shakespeare
ImageImage

Return to “Greening Gaia”