Horse burger anyone?

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
kukl

Horse burger anyone?

Postby kukl » 16 Jan 2013, 08:50

Here we go again! U.K. supermarkets have been selling beefburgers that contain up to 30% horse meat. It's too easy to rant on about the supermarkets. Sorry but I can't have sympathy for anyone who bought 'budget' branded burgers. Have more respect for the food on your plate. Anyway if you can eat dead cows why not dead horses.
I know this probably doesn't apply to the users of this forum but we all know people who don't consider where their food comes from don't we?
The lessons are clear.
If you're going to eat meat, buy organic / local / traceable.
Avoid processed food. (Processed. That word sends shivers down my spine).
Less meat / more veg.
Try vegetarianism.
Love Gaia.
Make love not war.
Turn on, tune in, drop out.
Ok rant over.
(Sorry about that last bit. Too much coffee).
And I dreamed I saw the bombers riding shotgun in the sky, and they where turning into butterflies above our nation. Joni Mitchell

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Re: Horse burger anyone?

Postby Bracken » 16 Jan 2013, 16:54

:-)
Ten out of ten.

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 16 Jan 2013, 17:19

Turn on, tune in, drop out.
Ok rant over.
(Sorry about that last bit. Too much coffee).
Apologies for veering a bit from your original topic, kukl, but I saw a billboard here the other day advertising a public service program on a local radio station that said, "Turn on, tune in, help out." I thought that was a nice druidy sentiment (probably not considered in those terms by the advertiser, but still...) and goes along nicely with your list.
[/off-topicness]
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 16 Jan 2013, 17:54

So, if anyone asks me have I ever eaten horse meat before, I can say I probably say yes. :blink:

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 16 Jan 2013, 18:27

You could say, "Not intentionally..."
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 16 Jan 2013, 20:50

I happen to like horse meat. It used to be looked down upon but now is really popular here.
I know it is a touchy subject but as kukl said, IMHO there is no difference, ethically, to beef.
It's just got to have been happy.

In fact, one local breed would probably be going extinct if not for breeding for meat.

Of course mis-labeling is really unacceptable.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 17 Jan 2013, 03:07

To each his or her own,,I have eaten most every kind of creature that walked swam or flew,, yes horse was one ,, its a plesent taste just something i would not have more than 2or 3x in my life
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 17 Jan 2013, 05:01

Dead critter is dead critter, as far as I am concerned...it is all dog-food (possibly literally) to me...but I think this is the salient point in this story:
Of course mis-labeling is really unacceptable.

:bs: :deadhorse:

Over this way, our "conservative" government thought a good way to trim some ...ermm...fat...from the budget would be to slash food inspectors....want fries with your E. coli 0157 Burger?
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 17 Jan 2013, 07:58

Pigs are really cute and intelligent too.

Even as a horselover (in the petting, riding and grooming sense of the word) it would be hypocritical to not use an animal to it's fullest, including meat, whether for myself or my animals. One of the local specialties here should be made with "foal"meat. Usually it's beef or old horse though. Since the economic decline many healthy pethorses are being slaughtered and it's a shame that this food is wasted or exported. It's meat from usually healthy and happy horses. If we would eat it here, we spare the animals a horrific trip in packed lorries to eastern or southern europe.

There's the mayor difference though between a fresh horse-steak from a local butcher and the manufactured "made with all beef" patties that include rubber, ammonia, pink slime, meatglue, old beef residue from all continents and yes, also a bit horse. The horse is probably the best bit of the budgetburger.

In essence we may conclude : people are stupid :grin:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 17 Jan 2013, 10:11

I think this is one of the cultural differences between the Brits and us 'continentals'.
We eat horses, they eat sheep intestines. There has been quite some confusion over the matter, especially with the french (who eat everything).
:grin:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 17 Jan 2013, 15:55

Its my "stable " diet! :yay: Lol

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 17 Jan 2013, 20:42

In essence we may conclude : people are stupid :grin:
thanks for summarizing :-P
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 18 Jan 2013, 09:54

We eat horses, they eat sheep intestines.
And anyone that's eaten a sausage has probably eaten pig intestines. :D

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 18 Jan 2013, 15:49

[...of course...as an American I see people putting Ranch dressing on everything.....so....that says alot alout us right there eh? :-)
Esh, that they do! Cracks me up when someone orders to salad as to watch their health, and they put so much ranch on it its just a few lettuce leaves swimming in the end...yuck! lol

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 18 Jan 2013, 20:15

I went into the cafe at Tesco for lunch and ordered one of their award winning burgers, apparently mine had won the Grand National. The woman serving asked me if I wanted anything on it so I had a tenner each way. When it came I took a sniff and it smelled like faeces so I took it to the manager who sniffed it and agreed, it did smell a bit pony. Anyway the manager gave me a voucher to make amends so I bought a bottle of Bacardi, some Captain Morgan and a box of frozen burgers and I left the store with white rum, dark rum and Red Rum...

Aiiiithenkyoh!

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 20 Jan 2013, 16:08

Hi, in Wales we like curry sauce with everything! What is ranch dressing? :grin:

Return to “Greening Gaia”