Need advice-Planting Grove?

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Ouroboros
OBOD Bard

Need advice-Planting Grove?

Postby Ouroboros » 22 Mar 2013, 15:49

Greetings!
We are blessed to live on 3 acres and to have quite a few established and quite powerful trees on the property. Including many oak trees, maples, tulip tree, evergreens and an old apple orchard. Quite a few trees have had to be cleared over the years due to die out as well as neglect prior to us living here. I have always been drawn to planting sacred trees and developing a grove here on the property. I have a million questions, however, I especially need guidance on the following:

Is it necessary to plant trees in a circle? Could I just plant trees throughout the property that is more ecological and build up plant communities with companion planting of shrubs, herbs etc?

Is it technically a Sacred Grove if I don't plant in a circle? What are the benefits to doing this vs. planting throughout the property Celtic Ogham trees and building a sacredness to the entire property?

I have a circular garden I plan to use as my circle for outdoor rites. I have a path that runs E to W and I will install one that runs N to S and a path all around the outside for sun-wise working in a circle. The flowers and shrubs will just be our guests inside. :)

Thank you for your help and advice!
:smgrove:
Ouroboros
Three Things Cannot Be Long Hidden:
The Sun :sun: The Moon :loony: and the Truth. :awen:

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Re: Need advice-Planting Grove?

Postby Fox » 22 Mar 2013, 21:42

You are asking a bunch of Druids for "the rules"? :boggle:

I would say plant as you wish, and leave a loose clearing somewhere for a grove, if you wish. Nice to be among the trees for ritual. :tiphat:
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

Ouroboros
OBOD Bard

Postby Ouroboros » 23 Mar 2013, 00:18

You are asking a bunch of Druids for "the rules"? :boggle:

I would say plant as you wish, and leave a loose clearing somewhere for a grove, if you wish. Nice to be among the trees for ritual. :tiphat:

Thank you Fox. You are so right, I am finding this to be the largest group of free thinkers!
:fox:

Ouroboros.

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fox » 23 Mar 2013, 01:14

I would say that the sacredness of your grove comes with the intentions when you plant your trees, and your intent when you do your rituals. Apart from that just let them get on with being themselves :)
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

Ouroboros
OBOD Bard

Postby Ouroboros » 23 Mar 2013, 03:43

I would say that the sacredness of your grove comes with the intentions when you plant your trees, and your intent when you do your rituals. Apart from that just let them get on with being themselves :)

Thank you for your wisdom. I tend toward over-thinking things.

:roll:

Ouroboros

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 24 Mar 2013, 11:49

Fox is right, I have something to add though. I am developing 2 large sites with an awareness of their sacredness (it's my job, I'm a gardener) and one thing that I find really must be used is a "time travelling eye". It's a good practice to visualize through the future in your mind's eye, pathworking time if you like, and investigate the future implications of what you plant where. The lives of some trees are long, and some are shorter lived. What will the pattern be in 200 years time? 400? 1,000? do you need to shapethe ground at all? You have an opportunity here!
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Postby Dathi » 24 Mar 2013, 15:25

Hi,

Agree with all comments above. Just a further 2c worth.

Have a look at the interactive map of the garden linked below. Plenty of inspiration, it is a stunning place.
http://www.brigitsgarden.ie/

Some general comments. I guess that the ring of trees is a romantic notion more than a historical "druid fact", and that the nemetons / groves of old were more likely to be "circular" because that was the shape of the clearing in the woods.

"Native" trees are best. Even more so, local native trees are better, because they will have higher survivability in your area.
If you want a circle, a bunch of rocks will be more immediate than young trees.
What is your budget? Bare root trees will be much cheaper than rootballed trees - but you had better be quick, or wait till next winter.
You mention an old orchard. Can't go wrong with apple trees. Nice and "Druidy", functional and pretty too. Get a good mix of varieties, preferably heritage apples.
If you have a circular garden, what about a labyrinth? Copper beech does the job nicely.
Spacing is important. You may wish to start with "whips" at 2m intervals. Later on you can move them depending on performance / vitality.
Right trees for the right ground. Any boggy bits? Consider alder or willow.
On the subject of willow. Cuttings take in most places with minimal effort (just stick em in), but you can play around with "fedges" or other willow structures.
Prepare the ground well for the trees. I know this is an Aussie project, but the advice is good anywhere: http://permaculturenews.org/2010/11/20/ ... -planting/

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best is NOW :treehug:

Dathi
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

mabby
OBOD Ovate

Postby mabby » 24 Mar 2013, 15:34

I have a bit of practical advice. Take the burlap off, or at least cut big slits in it all . And find some dirt that worms are raised in and put a lot of it in the hole first. Then make sure you fill the hole half full and then make mud so as to eliminate air pockets. Then fill it up and tamp the earth to eliminate more air. I see so many baby trees struggling to get their baby roots out of that burlap and search for food and water. And remember, they are babies and need extra care. They need nuitrition (like that good worm dirt) and they need water in time of drought. And when you water, water deep, deep to keep those little roots down and not turning up to find surface water. If you do this, in five years, you will have a strong, healthy grove that can withstand what Nature delivers, and you will have also developed a relationship with each tree. They are creatures of few words, but they have a lot to teach us.

Ouroboros
OBOD Bard

Postby Ouroboros » 25 Mar 2013, 02:32

Thank you sciethe, dathi and Mabby for all of your insights and practical advise. I have decided I am impatient and I will be saving to buy one large tree at a time rather than planting twigs and hoping for the best. I am looking for a Alder or Hazelnut tree now. Not very easy species to find.

May life's blessings gently breeze into your lives like the rustle of the wind in the trees.
:coad:
Ouroboros.

mabby
OBOD Ovate

Postby mabby » 25 Mar 2013, 14:24

You might want to check with a arborist about your choices to be sure they are native to your area. Hazels are not native to Michigan. The problems start when you plant a non=native (or invasive) species the native bugs will not be able to obtain nuitrition from this interloper, and then the native birds also go hungry because the bugs are not nouishing them.

RedSky
OBOD Druid

Postby RedSky » 26 Mar 2013, 12:49

Check out arborday.org Tons of information there, even free trees. They helped a friend return 80 acres to a woodlot back in the 80's.
perhaps your land will lend itself to a clearing sort of feature for future rituals.

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 27 Mar 2013, 15:09

May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “Greening Gaia”