What's everyone growing, harvesting, wildcrafting?

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Shaun

Re: What's everyone growing, harvesting, wildcrafting?

Postby Shaun » 16 Jan 2014, 11:30

Thanks.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 24 Apr 2014, 00:54

I guess I could say im growing bees and making wine and im trying my hand at drying mushrooms
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

beaux08
OBOD Bard

Postby beaux08 » 23 Aug 2014, 17:45

Deepwater, I have been wanting to raise bees but must wait until I move to a different location. How long have you been raising them and what kind?

This year has been odd for my garden, I planted son heritage melons but winded up with butternut squash instead! This is the second year in a row I've planted tomatoes, they grow really large but barely make any tomatoes. Planted onions for the first time this year, I think they should be ready soon, I can't wait!.My basil has been doing well, both the purple and green. Other than that just some strawberries, corn and eggplant though they aren't doing as well.

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 24 Aug 2014, 06:35

It is the season for fungi here (mostly Gomhidius glutinosus, Leccinum varicolor, Leccinum scabrum, Albatrellus ovinus, and Albatrellus confluens this time), some lingonberries (starting to get ripe), some billberries and even some wild raspberries. Also collected some Usnea lichen to dry and use on wounds.
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 26 Aug 2014, 00:24

Well about the bees,,I only have one hive now as the other 2 were empty of bees by May,,I started over with my monster hive 3 inches thick solid base and new bees,,They have filled my hive up so fast the guy helping me wants me to build him some thick hive bases,,The bees have been using all 3 holes in the hive boxes but really like using the top vent hole more than anything,,Maybe its because its 4' off the ground,,The black berries are not doing well,,,We only have 5 gals of berries so far,,last year this time we had 35 gals,,Well I did find a huge elder berries patch and picked 3 gal today and will get 6 more in 2 days when more look riper so its elder berrie wine this year,,, the black trumpets were huge this year,,,some were over 5" tall and 4" across the bell,,just one pick and the cooler was full and it weighed a full pound at the store,,I have been selling trumpets there for almost a month now :gulp: ,,,pays for the beer,,,Lobster shrooms were up but the bugs got to them soooo fast so we spent most of the time just walking in the woods,,The acorn crop looks great and we have several deer down by the firepit so im thinking ill get some use out of my smokehouse this fall making jerky :grin: ,,My boston whaler is now being use in florida by a great family,,it feels good knowing its wet again after sitting for almost 12 years,,,well that's about all for now its time to get a drink and watch the sun set
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 28 Aug 2014, 12:39

Alright, I will out myself.. I may be a Druid (or at least on the way to becoming one, if I ever make it past Ovate), but I do not have a green thumb. Anything I try to raise will either survive in spite of me (I have plants that are 30 years old....) or die in spite of any effort I make. So I leave the growing to the soil, water and sunlight in my garden, and harvest and enjoy the things that grow on their own. Allowing one's garden to grow can be a challenge all in itself, one I have to meet with clippers, ties and in the case of my beloved brambles, leather gloves!

Serpentia
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 30 Aug 2014, 08:19

Soooooo I guess as a Druid your not a healer using herbs :grin: ,,You can still forage and dry things or make things from wood bone and stone :old:

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 30 Aug 2014, 16:33

All winter last year, I had dumped food scraps next to the house. The animals got them, and what they didn't would go back to earth, I figured.
In thanks, the earth has given us several very large and very unexpected tomato plants....
Curious to see what will come up from this year's scrap heap next summer...

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 01 Sep 2014, 04:25

Alright, I will out myself.. I may be a Druid (or at least on the way to becoming one, if I ever make it past Ovate), but I do not have a green thumb. Anything I try to raise will either survive in spite of me (I have plants that are 30 years old....) or die in spite of any effort I make
Gather the wild harvest. Fungi, berries, herbs for tea...

Skogsvandrare
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 01 Sep 2014, 14:02

Ahhh a distinct lack of pruning in some of my garden hedges has now produced a nice crop of blackberries :grin:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 03 Sep 2014, 05:57

Last year we picked almost 50 gal of blackberries,,,This year less than 10,,I think all the rain beat the flowers off the bushes

IsabelC
OBOD Ovate
Location: Northern California, WAY above the Bay Area in in the Great Sacramento Valley

Postby IsabelC » 26 Mar 2015, 23:12

Hi everyone,
My partner Alder (Adiantum here) are in Northern CA with about .75 of an acre in food production (1.5 total acres landholding). We've been here 4 years and there was only a pear tree when we got here, but there are thousands of massive oaks around us so we are learning to harvest and process acorns.
He's growing barley, wheat and favas at the moment-last summer we had corn and tepary beans...
We've added fruit trees (apples, apricots, persimmon, plum, peach, fig, olive, lemon...) as well as nut trees (almond and pistachios) and berry bushes (raspberry, fejoa, thornless blackberry, blueberry and eating and wine grapes)...we're planting lots of perennial veggies (artichokes, asparagus) but lots of things have to be caged underground do to moles, etc. And we always have greens (the kale is perenializing and growing into trees about 3-4' high now!) mustard, arugula, chard, broccoli, cabbage...
In the summer we grow zucchini, (I eat A LOT of zucchini fritters!), other squashes, tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos...
Hubby has also made nice raised beds (with metal on the bottom) so we can grow sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and assorted root veggies...and we can and freeze everything we get!
I also have a rockin' herb garden...rosemarys, oreganos, sages, thymes, marjoram, savorys, leaf celery, parsley, lovage, basils, cilantro...and lots and lots of medicinal herbs-this seems to be the place to grow salvias and artemisias-all the volatile oil kind of plant medicine...
We try to practice permaculture as much as possible here-especially around water conservation-it's a dry land (~24" of rain per year) and we're in a severe 4 year plus drought...
Oh we also have chickens and get six eggs a day, for 2 people...that's a lot of eggs!
Unfortunately we can't grow chocolate, or coffee or things like sausage, so we still have a food bill! Maybe someday!
But it's a pretty sweet little spot! :cloud9:
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, 
finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything. I would not change it. -Shakespeare
ImageImage

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 27 Mar 2015, 14:00

It sounds like you have a pretty sweet place there, very nice
zucchini, (I eat A LOT of zucchini fritters!),
aka courgettes over here... by the end of August the family are usually glad to see the back of 'em :-)
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 01 Apr 2015, 02:50

We still have 2' of snow here,, I think im going to try the hanging bucket for tomatos

Return to “Greening Gaia”