What's everyone growing, harvesting, wildcrafting?

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
feranaja
OBOD Bard

What's everyone growing, harvesting, wildcrafting?

Postby feranaja » 26 Jun 2013, 00:45

This is one of my favorite topics, so I thought I'd jump in and ask away. :rose:

I have a small herb garden, and grow many of the standards; 2 chamomiles, mugwort, calendula, hyssop, skullcap, mallows,echinacea, feverfew, the usual culinary herbs; also yarrow, monarda, borage, motherwort, and more. I am also lucky in that I can wildcraft almost every medicinal herb I would ever need,locally - with a few notable exceptions(no turmeric, cinnamon or ashwagandha in this area). This year has been cool and damp and just very strange, so I've not harvested much of anything so far - I took some comfrey and mugwort recently, and rose-gathering is an all-summer event, but a strange year with only the silver lining of far fewer bugs.
So - what are you all harvesting and making these days? I have a rose tincture and a vinegar,also a gulkand (new technique for me) some mugwort drying, a nettle tincture, comfrey salve..that's about it so far.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: What's everyone growing, harvesting, wildcrafting?

Postby Aphritha » 26 Jun 2013, 01:25

Just growing a vegetable garden this year. I've got endive, but its getting bitter, and I hear it will go to seed soon. Still a pretty plant, either way. My fava beans are starting to bear fruit. :) The beets and carrots are coming slowly but surely. The tomatos are flowering, and the squashes are really taking off quickly(pumpkins, zucchini, acorn, spaghetti). I've got a few cucumbers and okra plants popping up, and we gave a shot at watermelon and it seems to be coming along alright. However, my green onions never came up, and my pepper plants don't really seem to be thriving. Still waiting on the broccoli and cauliflower.

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 26 Jun 2013, 01:32

Oh yes - fruit and veggies! My partner grows beans, tomatoes, lots of squash, arugula,beets chard and so on...and he digs up the burdock roots for me, too. Sounds like you have a great garden, do you can and preserve for the winter at all?

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Jun 2013, 02:14

I haven't before, but I'd like to. This is my second garden. Last year's wasn't so hot due to the drought, though, so there wasn't enough for preservation, not to mention it had to be abandon(long story).
I'm going to attempt to can tomatos and make pickles, maybe saurkraut if all goes well. :) Freeze corn if there's enough of it...I love frozen corn.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 26 Jun 2013, 15:29

All these plants were seeds I collected or cuttings I took 18 months ago, and the ground was builder's waste, rubble, docks, thistles. Really enjoying doing it! I love my job.
S
Attachments
New border.JPG
New border.JPG (195.98 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Jun 2013, 15:38

That's really beautiful! Amazing how you put it all together on your own.

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 26 Jun 2013, 16:01

Sciethe - that's just beautiful!

So much of what I grow is for medicine, so it's incidental when it looks pretty - but I think I will pay some more attention to adding beauty for it's own sake. Love the shades of your poppies... wow.

What is the rounded-looking shrub in the back of the photo?

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 26 Jun 2013, 16:13

Thanks Aphritha!
It's my day job, and that's one little corner of what I've done this year. Work by myself for very rich non-gardeners with only the plants for company, different places, total 16 acres/ 7 hectares. Very peaceful but hard work. The best bit is that the reward is all mine when things go right!

Feranaja- Here's some of my favourite poppies, in bloom right now. The round looking shrub is false box, lonicera millifolium if the Latin follows common sense.
S
Attachments
poppies.JPG
poppies.JPG (178.74 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 26 Jun 2013, 16:23

Or maybe these? All of them are proper medicinal opium.
It's ok to grow them in the UK ( in moderation) as long as it's for garden use rather than to ingest in any way. The police might have something to say if I produced a field of them and started harvesting!
S
Attachments
poppies2.JPG
poppies2.JPG (111.6 KiB) Viewed 5247 times

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 26 Jun 2013, 16:52

Oh, but they are so, so lovely. I use a fair bit of Eschscholzia californica, California poppy, in my practise but have never grown it! I'd just like those amazing colors popping up around my property. Really vivid and eye-catching.

Ah, so that's your honeysuckle... I don't know the spp. - but I use a lot of honeysuckle medicinally, mostly wildcrafted from around this area. I have a very pretty Lonerica sempirvirens (trumpetflower) here I've long wanted to make medicine with, but it's growing too close to this (very old) house for my comfort zone. I use the lovely wild japonica all the time, though, one of my best-loved wildcrafted medicines. you have done such great work on your land!

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 26 Jun 2013, 17:35

:) So great that you make your plants part of your life through medicine.
The false box is not typical of lonicera in the UK, it doesn't flower, just grows insanely fast to make close hedging which looks great but falls over if you don't grow it carefully. The typical British lonicera is the honeysuckle, produces so much nectar that kids (like me) used to pick the flowers and suck them for the sweetness. It grows wild in woodland as well as in gardens, probably the same as yours, and looks like this: (in my dear old mum's garden)
S
Attachments
Honeysuckle lonicera.JPG
Honeysuckle lonicera.JPG (187.45 KiB) Viewed 5241 times

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Jun 2013, 17:39

The poppies are very pretty. :) My husband tried to grow some but they never came up...think he waited too long to do it.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 13 Jan 2014, 01:27

We dont grow much but tend the things we have,,We might poke a hole and drop in accorns or buckeyes or move some ferns about ,,We harvest mostly wild herbs berries and shrooms maybe a deer or turkey,,Its like one huge bonsi bush ,,I walk around trimming off a branch or twig,,thinning it out for sunlit or air
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 14 Jan 2014, 08:00

I keep chickens & a small vegetable patch in the backyard. At the moment we've got chillies, zucchini & egg-plant. We had a decent crop of silver-beet until I let the chooks out for a pick around the yard & they destroyed it. We've also got some tomatoes but at the moment they're still green & a few pumpkins that haven't flowered yet.
Feeding the chooks & chipping a few weeds on a daily basis keeps me reasonably centered.

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 14 Jan 2014, 09:37

Like Sciethe I really love my job as I feel truly blessed to be able to grow and pick flowers and get paid for it.
Actinotus helianthi - White Romance - massed group.2 - Copy.JPG
Actinotus helianthi - White Romance - massed group.2 - Copy.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 14 Jan 2014, 17:19

I keep chickens & a small vegetable patch in the backyard. At the moment we've got chillies, zucchini & egg-plant. We had a decent crop of silver-beet until I let the chooks out for a pick around the yard & they destroyed it. We've also got some tomatoes but at the moment they're still green & a few pumpkins that haven't flowered yet.
Feeding the chooks & chipping a few weeds on a daily basis keeps me reasonably centered.
Chooks...still love this word! Makes me smile every time...
Gardening is really a talent. You pros should really be proud! I'm still struggling with my gardening knowledge...
Though, not going to be able to practice much mid January in this region.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 15 Jan 2014, 07:33

A bit of bad luck today. My big black Australorp hen died, most probably from heat stress as it's 38 Celsius here today. I'm not sure what that converts to, bit it's bloody hot. I've also got a problem with mice in the henhouse & have had to lay baits. I don't really like doing it but if I don't it can lead to a lot of problems. They can spread worms, lice & mites to my other animals, problems with them moving into my house as their population grows & their food source diminishes, problems with my neighbours for the same reasons & they also attract snakes. Baiting of course creates another set of problems. The dog or a hen may pick one up, or worse my 4 year old daughter may handle one before eating. The other problem is of course that I don't like killing if I can see another way around it. But I'm talking big numbers, a cat or a humane trap wouldn't make a dent in this problem. I suppose there's no escaping problems or karma. I like to think that I'm not creating as many problems as the big commercial poultry farms, but sometimes I'm not so sure. Maybe it's just that I'm closer to the problems than a bloke that buys a dozen eggs at the supermarket & has no idea of the work that went into them.

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 15 Jan 2014, 08:40

Hi Shaun
Yes not good news. Its still 38C (100F) here inside and that's at 6 in the evening. I just went up to check the hens and found a mite on an egg so they will get dusted tonight when they go in to roost.
We don't get many mice as we make sure everything they may like is kept in sealed bins. when we do get some we do use mouse traps baited with peanut butter.
What part of Aus are you in?
Crinia

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 15 Jan 2014, 08:51

I'm in Queanbeyan, near Canberra. What about you.

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 15 Jan 2014, 23:29

I'm in NSW.
The following massage board people are in Canberra (or were when they started posting).
SidheAingeal
Serenity
Moonstones

Crinia

Return to “Greening Gaia”