The drought of 1976.

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Whitemane
OBOD Bard

The drought of 1976.

Postby Whitemane » 24 Jul 2013, 12:28

Apparently the drought of 1976 (for those of us who remember it) has been having long-term effects on trees, with beech trees still not recovered from the effects http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23419036. Sessile oaks were unaffected and this is having knock-on effects on the wood that they are using data from.

I actually helped gather data on the tree populations of this area in 1971-1973. It was an Easter holiday project at school. It's pleasing to know that the project has continued for so long and that meaningful conclusions are coming from it.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Re: The drought of 1976.

Postby Sciethe » 25 Jul 2013, 08:57

Very interesting, and great to have been part of an initial survey. What kind of data did they have you collecting?
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 25 Jul 2013, 12:38

We did a population profile of the trees. So just identifying the genus and measuring trunk width at chest height. I imagine the foresters filled in a lot of detail during the summers.

The foresters converted those data to a population model, based on a measure of wood volume called "silvs." The plan was then to modify the population to a natural structure and then leave it alone.

It was a lot of fun, and some of that experience still plays a part in my Sacred Grove, and I still use the dot and line tallying method they taught us.
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 25 Jul 2013, 16:07

I see you're in Ohio, long way from the Wye valley. Ever re-visited that wood? I'll bet that would be a great experience.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 26 Jul 2013, 02:00

I see you're in Ohio, long way from the Wye valley. Ever re-visited that wood? I'll bet that would be a great experience.
S
Maybe on my next visit. I'm not a great traveller. Excellent idea though!
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “Greening Gaia”