trees can think and communicate, says science

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
greygreen
OBOD Ovate

trees can think and communicate, says science

Postby greygreen » 20 Dec 2013, 20:27

I found this article and thought I would share it with a group of people who spend alot of their time talking about/to trees:

http://io9.com/the-growing-evidence-tha ... 1486813632

of particular note (emphasis mine): "... the possibility that plants share information raises intriguing questions about what counts as behavior and communication — and why organisms that compete with one another might also see fit to network their knowledge."
Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. - A.A. Milne

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: trees can think and communicate, says science

Postby Aphritha » 20 Dec 2013, 21:18

Very interesting. It reminds me of a section I read in an older book(Linda Goodman's Star Signs) on a man who had hooked up some sort of moniters to his plants and found that they would 'faint' before he'd pick a leaf or something of the sort. Over time and experimentation, he discovered they would also go into this 'mindless' state when someone nearby had ill intentions towards them(well, what the plant would perceive as an ill intention).
Very interesting read; recommend it if you ever get the chance.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 21 Dec 2013, 07:05

I've been quite impressed by this video. At Damanhur they use biofeedbackequipment to measure the differences in energyflux in the plant, and a computer changes it into music.

http://www.finerminds.com/consciousness ... -damanhur/
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 21 Dec 2013, 17:46

That's awesome! :D

greygreen
OBOD Ovate

Postby greygreen » 23 Dec 2013, 18:41

Very interesting. It reminds me of a section I read in an older book(Linda Goodman's Star Signs) on a man who had hooked up some sort of moniters to his plants and found that they would 'faint' before he'd pick a leaf or something of the sort. Over time and experimentation, he discovered they would also go into this 'mindless' state when someone nearby had ill intentions towards them(well, what the plant would perceive as an ill intention).
Very interesting read; recommend it if you ever get the chance.
I'll pick that up for sure. I've heard of a similar study where plants were sending off "pain" signals when leaves or fruit were picked though I can't for the life of me find it now. I just love all the debate lately about artificial life, animal intelligence and plant senses. The world is looking awful druidic these days!
Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. - A.A. Milne

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 24 Dec 2013, 06:30

I remember a quizshow in the eighties where in one episode (it was about amazing feats people had) a blindfolded person could feel by holding plants and veggies, which corresponding veggies where being cut up behind a screen. He explained that a living plant quakes in fear when someone of it's own species is hacked to pieces. I've always wondered if it was a clever trick or if there was something more to it.

On a sidenote, I've been rewatching the old Herbie-movies and the statement that "people pour so much of their own emotions into their machines that the machines get their own identity" is quit recognisable.
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 13 Jan 2014, 00:42

Who could think otherwise that the world we hold dear to our souls did not speak to us,,In each season there is a language spoken of life and death and of sleep or awakening,,Its the cycle
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 13 Jan 2014, 10:04

I love how Deepwater's comment kicks this post up once more. Thank you!

Today, while I sat staring out of my bedroom window, over the large field where my neighbour keeps deers, llama's, goats and all sort of creatures, seeing the trees, my cats around me, I realised that the whole "parallel dimensions" thingy might be just that, the world from every different viewpoint is a different world.
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 14 Jan 2014, 18:24

On a sidenote, I've been rewatching the old Herbie-movies and the statement that "people pour so much of their own emotions into their machines that the machines get their own identity" is quit recognisable.
Laugh if you must, but this idea has always horrified me. Even as an adult, I contemplate all the inanimate objects I've been emotionally attached to(toys from childhood, favored articles of clothing, household knick-knacks)that met unfavorable ends...because they had so much of lifeforce put into them, did they suffer with whatever happened to them? Its always bothered me. Kind of get anxiety just writing about it...
Today, while I sat staring out of my bedroom window, over the large field where my neighbour keeps deers, llama's, goats and all sort of creatures, seeing the trees, my cats around me, I realised that the whole "parallel dimensions" thingy might be just that, the world from every different viewpoint is a different world.
I also like that we are a hundred different people to a hundred different people. Meaning that, (for example)while my husband might see me as an outgoing, intelligent, humorous individual, his friend might see me as an eccentric, snotty pain in the...well, you get it. My sister might see me as a low life, a friend might see me as enlightened. In their minds, they're all correct. So therefor, I've just legitimately taken on 4 different personalities, because their realities are as real as mine...

Return to “Greening Gaia”