Clean my toilet!

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Clean my toilet!

Postby Aphritha » 03 Feb 2014, 04:13

I'm not sure if this is where this post belongs, but since its a 'green' method I want to discuss, it seemed most appropriate. If there's somewhere else it should be, feel free to move it, mods!
As the title suggests, my toilet needs cleaning. Bad. I don't like to use chemical cleansers, and tend to stick with baking soda, vinegar, salt, and lemon juice. However, none of these mixes seem to be working on the potty. Any ideas on another home brewed mix I could use?

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Clean my toilet!

Postby ShadowCat » 03 Feb 2014, 11:40

I don't know the state of affairs over at your place, but I keep a nice clean throne by sparingly using commercially available organic cleaners (Ecover is a good brand over here). Try to figure out what the chemical nature of the grime is. Around here, water used to be very high in calciumdeposits that make the bowl rough and grimy. Than you need acidity to remove the scale, baking soda or even clorox, being alkaline, would only agravate it.

If normal vinegar doesn't cut it, you could use higher concentrated acids: cleaning vinegar, powered lemon-acid, or even hydrogen-peroxide 3%. The latter does work nicely for the incidental big clean and is, when used prudently, not overly agressive on plumbing and environment. Never play mix-and-match with these kind of acids though: I know of people using both clorox and H2O2 together, making effectively chemical warfare agents in their bowl.

A periodic big clean with something a bit harsher and daily organic cleaning, is still loads better then the daily use of chemicals. So don't be to hard on yourselves: either work up the scale of harsher stuff until you find something that works or accept that using natural stuff, the bowl will be hygienic clean but not as shiny and sparkly as the commercials show.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 04 Feb 2014, 05:59

I don't know the state of affairs over at your place, but I keep a nice clean throne by sparingly using commercially available organic cleaners (Ecover is a good brand over here). Try to figure out what the chemical nature of the grime is. Around here, water used to be very high in calciumdeposits that make the bowl rough and grimy. Than you need acidity to remove the scale, baking soda or even clorox, being alkaline, would only agravate it.

If normal vinegar doesn't cut it, you could use higher concentrated acids: cleaning vinegar, powered lemon-acid, or even hydrogen-peroxide 3%. The latter does work nicely for the incidental big clean and is, when used prudently, not overly agressive on plumbing and environment. Never play mix-and-match with these kind of acids though: I know of people using both clorox and H2O2 together, making effectively chemical warfare agents in their bowl.

A periodic big clean with something a bit harsher and daily organic cleaning, is still loads better then the daily use of chemicals. So don't be to hard on yourselves: either work up the scale of harsher stuff until you find something that works or accept that using natural stuff, the bowl will be hygienic clean but not as shiny and sparkly as the commercials show.
I think alot of my problem is crud sticking to calcium deposits, and making everything well-stuck and yucky looking. I'll give the acids a go. Though, I have 6 felines who are going to use that bowl as, well, a bowl, whether I like it or not. After a thourough cleaning and rinsing, will this be safe?
It just occured to me my toilet must be in an acceptable condition to drink out of...

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 04 Feb 2014, 08:53

Acids will react to the calcium in the water, dissolving in CO2 and water, so I wouldn't worry about it, after a few good rinses.
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 04 Feb 2014, 08:55

If the calcium is in the bottom, where there is water standing, you could also ladle out the water first and then pour in household vinegar for the night. That often works loads better because it isn't diluted.
the songs of one's heart

Sacred spaces and places

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 05 Feb 2014, 01:36

Another option is Tang - the powdered soft drink.

It is very high in citric acid and dissolves a lot of mineral deposits.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 05 Feb 2014, 05:12

That's awesome. I'm totally going to do that. I'd love a toilet bowl full of tang...well, not to drink myself. Probably not, anyways... :whistle:

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 05 Feb 2014, 16:16

Tang is recommended for cleaning dishwashers. You use a cup of the powder and a scrubbing wash. Maybe try using a bit more dissolved in a minimal volume of water and let it sit.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 05 Feb 2014, 17:02

Makes me wonder what it does to one's stomach...
Thanks for the suggestions, both of you. :)

Return to “Greening Gaia”