Edible Container Gardening Ventures

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
HematiteScales
OBOD Bard

Edible Container Gardening Ventures

Postby HematiteScales » 22 Apr 2014, 14:38

Yah for spring! (AKA at-least-the-nights-aren't-below-freezing-anymore-but-knock-on-wood-now-that-I-said-that.)

Grabbed some more soil yesterday and was able to finish planting. Unfortunately, I think anyway, I only get enough sun from my teensie front porch, which isn't to say that my back porch is any better. However, at least I could sit and study back there with my plants in private. :cloud9:

Damn you, full sun plants!

Current List

Fruits
Strawberries - 'Eversweet'

Vegetables
Dragon Cayenne - hybrid hot pepper
Sweet Bell Pepper - 'California Wonder'
Cucumber - 'Slicing'
Squash - 'Yellow Crookneck'
Tomato - 'Better Boy'

Herbs
German Chamomile
Lavendar
Stevia
Peppermint
Pineapple Sage
Garden Sage
Fennel
Common Thyme
Oregano
Savory
Cinnamon Basil
Sweet Basil
Rosemary

Flowers
Pansies

I would love to hear your gardening stories, see pictures, etc! :yay:
Attachments
5.png
5.png (338.06 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
4.png
4.png (282.28 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
3.png
3.png (296.8 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
2.png
2.png (353.29 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
1.png
1.png (273.02 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
ImageImage

"O, misty eye of the mountain below,
Keep careful watch of my brothers’ souls
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke,
Keep watching over Durin’s sons."
- "I See Fire" Ed Sheeran

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Re: Edible Container Gardening Ventures

Postby xidia » 22 Apr 2014, 14:59

Oooh, peppers. I never manage to get those to fruit, even when I help the bees along by pollinating them with a paintbrush. I hope you have more success!

I currently have no flower beds, although next year I will have dug up a good portion of my lawn to fix that problem. In the meantime I have - hopefully - attached a picture of my patio planters.

Potatoes - 6 varieties of early/second early
Broad beans - 2 varieties
Peas - 2 varieties
Carrots - 1 drill of purple haze, 1 drill of normal
Tomatoes - moneymaker
Coriander/Cilantro
Mixed salad leaves in the hanging baskets
Rosemary my mum grew for our handfasting last year
Lemon thyme
"normal" thyme
French lavender
A pretty red acer I'd given up for dead

The tomatoes, peas, beans and carrots will all get successional sewings starting next weekend.
2014-04-12 18.02.18.jpg
Patio planters 12th April 2014
2014-04-12 18.02.18.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 2180 times

HematiteScales
OBOD Bard

Postby HematiteScales » 22 Apr 2014, 15:18

I love your little Japanese maple! So tiny! <3

I had some bees checking out the garden while I was working (even though nobody is really flowering right now), so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Otherwise out with a paintbrush I go!

What kind of luck have you had with the peas? I didn't see any of them for sell while I was browsing, so I wasn't sure if they just didn't tend to do well in my area or not. (Maybe they'll start appearing later in the season?)

You have a great selection! I'm sure it'll be exciting to have the beds next year. :D
ImageImage

"O, misty eye of the mountain below,
Keep careful watch of my brothers’ souls
And should the sky be filled with fire and smoke,
Keep watching over Durin’s sons."
- "I See Fire" Ed Sheeran

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 22 Apr 2014, 16:08

I've grown peas before in sunny sites with no hassle, and since my patio faces south west, I'm hoping they'll do just as well here. They'd have been more certain if I'd germinated them indoors, potted on and hardened off, but I never remember the hardening off. So, all my seeds now go straight outside and the tough ones survive...If anything, the planters should warm up faster than the beds I used last time, so they have an advantage already. :)

The bees are just waking up here too, and investigating. The Royal Horticultural Society has a list of plants that attract bees. It might be worth seeing if there are any natives to your area if you want to encourage them. I know many of the UK natives, but not really US ones.

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » 24 Apr 2014, 01:57

HematiteScales, your porch is beautiful (I love your "Welcome Dog") and it looks like you have a great list of plants!

I struggle with part-sun conditions, too. However, a lot of the herbs seem to do OK in part-sun conditions. I grew oregano in a container one year and transplanted it into the part-sun bed the side of my house. It's come up for about 3 years in a row and the bees love it when it flowers. I let a lot of my herbs go to seed because I love my bee visitors. Dill is another herb that's done well for me in the part-sun and attracts swallowtail butterflies. I've found their caterpillars on some of the dill I've planted in containers. The chives have done great, too.

Last year, I had ornamental gourds volunteer in the part-sun bed (I'd thrown some of my Samhain decorations into the compost pile the previous fall). The blooms attracted the native Squash Bees, which I'd never seen before.

Regarding peppers, I tried growing them for a few years and didn't have great luck. The best yield was when I started the plants indoors, let them harden off for a week or so and then planted them after Mother's Day near the window where our air conditioner vents.
Let us drink the Sun
and paint every tongue
with the light of Hosts
with honey.

Return to “Greening Gaia”