Becoming a Master Naturalist

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
greygreen
OBOD Ovate

Becoming a Master Naturalist

Postby greygreen » 22 Apr 2014, 22:07

I'm completing a course to become a Texas Master Naturalist - a great program to train a strong volunteer core to protect our state's natural resources. The class includes animal identification, geology, ethnobotany, plant taxonomy and a whole bunch of other stuff. The best part? Although the program was founded here in the Lone Star State, it's spread much farther. Not sure how far it's spread internationally, but there's one in nearly every state of the US of A.

The program has been an awesome way to learn about the land and get some real training. Once completed, Master Naturalist are inviting to volunteer, lead tours, perform park maintenance and help as citizen scientists in dinosaur digs, bird tagging and other activities. Plus you get to tell people you are a certified master naturalist which is nearly as cool as telling people you're a druid.
Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. - A.A. Milne

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Becoming a Master Naturalist

Postby Aphritha » 22 Apr 2014, 23:47

Thats awesome!
I looked up my state, and it seems there's a Master Conservationist program, but only in one distant county. Phooey. :???:

EagleEye

Postby EagleEye » 23 Apr 2014, 02:23

That is so cool and sounds like great fun and great training for a very worthy cause! I'll definitely look up what is available here in PA.
Let us drink the Sun
and paint every tongue
with the light of Hosts
with honey.

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 23 Apr 2014, 12:47

It hasn't spread to the UK yet but I just had a poke about on Utah and Texas A&M's pages and it looks like it could run over here, especially in the National Parks. I will make suggestions to people I know in the Peak District NPA and see what they think. Thanks for bringing this up Greygreen.

Return to “Greening Gaia”