Holly Trees

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
samurai
OBOD Ovate

Holly Trees

Postby samurai » 16 Jun 2014, 15:48

Is there a shortage of Holly Trees in the English countryside. I was looking for some Holly last week to make a crown for the Holly King ,could I find some. Nope.Plenty in gardens and church yards.But none in the countryside. I trekked miles and I am lucky to have plenty of access to the countryside too. Is there a shortage?

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Re: Holly Trees

Postby elementalheart » 16 Jun 2014, 16:57

I don't think so, tho I could be wrong. Last few times I've set up common hedging the standard UK wide farm mix was hawthorn, dogrose, holly and either blackthorn or hazel so there should be plenty in hedgerows around farmland, where those are being renewed in the last decade or two, .

I have 2 in my garden and you could have had some but it's a wee bit far perhaps.. and they're both variegated rather than standard so perhaps not ideal for purpose, tho I seem to be growing bird dropped plain ones in the orchard at the moment and plan for transferring a few in autumn!

Maybe it's a hint on the ogham side for you somehow?
Image Image 2013BS 2013LI 2013SB 2014IL 2014LI

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 17 Jun 2014, 10:24

I think it depends upon the landscape upon which you live. Here's in the Low Weald of Sussex there are not so many hollies, except in gardens and occasionally lurking in hedgerows. This is quite a heavy clay/loam soil.
Upon the South Downs there are occasional Hollies in the wooded parts. This is a shallow chalk/clay soil.
Through the middle of the Low Weald there is a Greensand ridge which (as it's sand) is well drained, in the High Weald there is a lot of sandstone with a deep loam which drains well, this goes up into the Surrey Hills and onto the North Downs - this is prime Holly country and I have seen some outstanding specimens up there.

So I think it depends where you are.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 17 Jun 2014, 15:30

DaRC you answered my next question,is it soil types or man. I'm in clay/sand country but we do have bands of ironstone.

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 18 Jun 2014, 21:06

Holly is easy-going and tolerant of soil types. Our soil has some clay in it, but they do well as long and I make sure the soil gets acidified. Rhododendrons don't do well in alkaline soil, so if there is also a shortage of them, it may be local soil is too alkaline for them.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 19 Jun 2014, 14:43

Alkaline soil may be the answer.Thank you. We do have a lot of Rowan trees though,so they must like it.

Return to “Greening Gaia”