Campaign Groups and sucker lists

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
thehollyandtheivy

Campaign Groups and sucker lists

Postby thehollyandtheivy » 24 Jun 2015, 14:46

I have a problem. I am a member of a number campaign groups which campaigns on many areas of environmental concerns. I feel on some subjects inclined to donate but in today's climate I am very aware that even the most well known charities have been known to sell on details, the so called sucker lists! Have any members been victim to this sort of pressure or have any ideas on how to avoid such pitfalls?
"Not to hurt our humble brethren (the animals) is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it. If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." Saint Francis of Assisi
/l\ We are the ancestors of the future and the souls of the past in this present moment. (from Trees, Stones and Bones by Rob Wilson.

/l\ Life is more than the money that you earn.. ( Damh the Bard)

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Campaign Groups and sucker lists

Postby DaRC » 25 Jun 2015, 13:11

Yes I have stripped down my charity involvement to those I really care about, e.g. I've had no issues with the Wildlife Trusts or Greenpeace. Otherwise I'll do one-off anonymous donations, if they want contact details I don't bother.

Before, particularly as a cyclist, I was roped into various charity events and this led to spam from those and other charities which I don't really care about. I've now pared that down (sadly as I don't mind the one off support) due to the volume of waste paper etc...
and waste of my time even so far as the hardest selling & most unpleasant cold phone call I've ever received from telesales on behalf of one charity.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 25 Jun 2015, 17:33

I go right to the source and give directly to street people. Maybe they'll buy food...maybe they will buy crack..but i know they won't call me at supper time.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 25 Jun 2015, 18:09

When asked for money, I usually offer to let the person asking clean my car. Change gets lost all over in there! Someone once found twenty bucks! But, other than the individual who found the twenty(who was a kid who wanted junk from the store), no one ever takes me up on it, so I figure they don't want it that bad...

Return to “Greening Gaia”