Herbs

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Herbs

Postby winterfire » 18 Nov 2015, 21:29

Is anyone interested in herbs and other garden & wild plants? I noticed 'The Herb Rack' but no posts on it for a long time and no way of posting a new topic.
Just pruned my little herb garden back for the winter. Can't believe how the Rosemary had grown! Hung some bunches up to dry, gave some away and stuck a few sprigs in a jar in the kitchen - so uplifting!
Blessings.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: Herbs

Postby Heddwen » 18 Nov 2015, 21:38

Most of mine has died back too, but that's to be expected with autumn drawing to an end and hurricane Barney and Abigail. I have some dried rosemary hanging up in the kitchen here, but I will need to harvest some sage and thyme before the festive season for stuffing the goose. :o

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 18 Nov 2015, 23:52

Despite Abigail and Barney I still have sage, rosemary, oregano, and lemon balm growing healthily plus I have wild garlic shooting up thanks to the mild weather. Oh and a bay tree. Not sure how long it will all last if it turns colder as forecast at the weekend. Think I will also try and gather some in so it can dry for the winter.
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Dogrose
OBOD Bard

Postby Dogrose » 19 Nov 2015, 01:32

I have a few but I only really use the parsley and chives, and the garlic chives. I'm not a huge fan of herbs.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 19 Nov 2015, 12:27

Yep :D I love herbs.
One of my favourites is English Mace which has a pretty flower as well as enhancing the flavour of stews / casseroles. It dries well too.
Bay trees are pretty hardy - ours is well established in a pot and has suffered no damage from some pretty severe winters.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 19 Nov 2015, 16:44

The worse thing I ever did to my bay tree was bring it into the conservatory for 'protection'! Fortunately it recovered and now thriving down the side of the house where it doesn't get alot of sun but out of the wind.
Now, mace? Is this the outer covering of nutmeg or something else?

Acacia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Acacia » 20 Nov 2015, 21:08

I have a few herbs growing, yep - parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme :o as well as basil, dill, fennel, mint. There is also a pineapple sage which has the most delightful pineapple-y smell when you crush the leaves. And I have another small empty garden plot that I hope to turn into a more extensive herb garden as I work on the Ovate grade over the next "coughs - clears throat" years. :huh: It's great to have them available for when they show up in recipes.

We're just coming to the end of Spring and heading into Summer, so an ideal time to work on the garden.

Blessings. :)
"Trees are sanctuaries.
Whoever knows how to speak to them
Whoever knows how to listen to them
Can learn the truth."

Hermann Hesse.

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 20 Nov 2015, 21:36

I have a few herbs growing, yep - parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme :o as well as basil, dill, fennel, mint. There is also a pineapple sage which has the most delightful pineapple-y smell when you crush the leaves. And I have another small empty garden plot that I hope to turn into a more extensive herb garden as I work on the Ovate grade over the next "coughs - clears throat" years. :huh: It's great to have them available for when they show up in recipes.

We're just coming to the end of Spring and heading into Summer, so an ideal time to work on the garden.

Blessings. :)
I too had ideas about expanding my herb garden.....it's now Autumn heading into winter and I've done nothing. I have planted some oak and holly seedlings though, just not herbs :roll:
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Acacia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Acacia » 20 Nov 2015, 23:29

....it's now Autumn heading into winter and I've done nothing. :roll:
ROFL......that's probably where I'll be with the empty plot as our autumn/winter approaches. :duck: At least I've got the standard herbs growing. :)
"Trees are sanctuaries.
Whoever knows how to speak to them
Whoever knows how to listen to them
Can learn the truth."

Hermann Hesse.

jan
OBOD Bard

Postby jan » 21 Nov 2015, 01:04

Love to grow herbs! Most everything is dead now, except for the parsley. I've brought the rosemary inside, and I have mint drying too. Has anyone tried making a salve out of comfrey and thyme? I harvested mine, steeped it in olive oil for a few weeks, and then added beeswax. Only thing wrong is - I added too much beeswax, so I feel like it is more of a wick-less candle than a salve! I still use it, but not the easiest to apply. Does anyone know if I can reheat the mixture and add more olive oil without it losing its effectiveness? Has anyone made tinctures with their herbs?
There are some before whose voices can be heard to those that listen,
whose footsteps can be seen by those that look,
whose thoughts are in the wind.

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 21 Nov 2015, 11:28

Happily we have missed the autumn storms and the mild weather means herbs are still thriving outside ,for which I'm grateful, as they're nearly all cuttings taken from our herb garden at our old house (we moved in July) and so they've had a chance to establish themselves. Fingers crossed that the borage has time to seed itself before the frosts. In the winter I keep parsley, basil in pots on the window sill.
DaRC what exactly is English mace ? like winterfire I've always used mace that's the out covering of nutmeg

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 23 Nov 2015, 16:34

mace? Is this the outer covering of nutmeg or something else?
:grin: something else...the outer covering of nutmeg is mace as a spice.

English Mace is a herb...
http://www.manorfarmherbs.co.uk/herbinfo/english_mace
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 24 Nov 2015, 00:51

Is anyone interested in herbs and other garden & wild plants? I noticed 'The Herb Rack' but no posts on it for a long time and no way of posting a new topic.
Hi, winterfire. The Herb Rack was the name chosen for the forum in which we provide space for old posts from Greening Gaia that we don't want to delete when doing periodic board housekeeping. Technically speaking, Greening Gaia is the place for plant discussions--would you like me to move this conversation there and see if we can get more interest going in the "green arts"? I can leave a shadow topic here that redirects there.
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 26 Nov 2015, 14:06

DaRC ,Thankyou for the information on English Mace and the link address

kytty
OBOD Bard

Postby kytty » 27 Nov 2015, 03:00

Hi

Its been too long since I lurked these forum. :oops:
I would love the herb rack page to be reinstated.
As a qualified medicinal herbalist, interested in herbs, herbal lore and history, it would be great to have a place where we can share our knowledge on these things.
spirits of trees
live within us all

there is as much variation within a breed
as there is between them.

2007 SB [img]http://druidry.org/board/dhp/images/smi ... 08.gif[img]

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 27 Nov 2015, 07:45

Glad to see the response to this topic! Don't mind where it is so long as it is open to all.

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 28 Nov 2015, 00:53

OK, I've moved the thread to Greening Gaia, in hopes of drawing attention to that forum and to the Herb Rack archives. Please feel free to start new topics on anything that's in the Herb Rack; if you wish, you can include a link to the previous discussions so that readers can look back at some earlier posts.

Which reminds me...I'm the webmaster for our local chapter of the Herb Society of America, so I have some links some of you may find useful. I'll start a new thread for them so everyone can add their own favorites without derailing this thread. :) It's at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=45004.
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Return to “Greening Gaia”