Questions about OBOD's course

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Saorsa
OBOD Bard

Re: Questions about OBOD's course

Postby Saorsa » 02 Oct 2012, 16:08

Presumably you’ve already researched heathenry. http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... ry_1.shtml

It’s interesting that, historically and as far as I can tell, reawakening awareness of and interest in our druidic heritage did not begin with the Welsh but probably with the Germans, then French and from there the Scots. English and Welsh interest followed on but it has been the Welsh heritage in particular that has persisted, following the establishment of the “cultural druid” movements led by figures such as Iolo Morganwyg. I wonder what would have happened if the Scottish academics of those early days had not decided that the druids were “bad” but had pursued and developed them as the Welsh eventually did.

Just as the Celts were more of a culture than a race and encompassed a variety of peoples, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that there had existed a form of druidry that looked to the North and the Scandinavian/Anglo-Saxon myths and gods but it seems the last 300+ years have focussed on the Brythonic Celts. I am aware of those on other druid forums who follow these northern gods but still see their closest links with other druids of the “southern” (to you!) Celts.
http://theanimistscraft.wordpress.com/2 ... tradition/

I’d be interested to hear the views of others on this question.
hi Gwion,

No I haven't, thanks for the links. Fascinating history.
Love your "looks to the north" phrasing, that expresses better and without getting tangled in northern/southern!

edited to add: Just begun to read and ponder the links... both thought-provoking and with many yeses... thank you.
the blessing of the sun, the blessing of the water
light of the full moon on a frosty field
:Kevin MacNeil

Saorsa
OBOD Bard

Postby Saorsa » 03 Nov 2012, 14:09

hi everyone,

I've been meaning to add a postscript to my previous few posts. I think that when I decided to 'learn more' I subtly shifted from an active participant, happily doing my own thing, to a more passive recipient, keen to find exactly the 'right' body of widsom to learn, and that this active-passive shift, more than anything else, is what was sitting awkwardly for me. Seeing from your responses that my questions are live topics and that druidry is alive and shifting moves me back into the active, co-creator stance, from where I can hear a yes and move forward.

My thanks!
the blessing of the sun, the blessing of the water
light of the full moon on a frosty field
:Kevin MacNeil

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 05 Nov 2012, 17:03

Presumably you’ve already researched heathenry. http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... ry_1.shtml

It’s interesting that, historically and as far as I can tell, reawakening awareness of and interest in our druidic heritage did not begin with the Welsh but probably with the Germans, then French and from there the Scots. I’d be interested to hear the views of others on this question.

I'm not sure what time frame you're talking about, but the first country where a Green party was able to be real power in politics was West Germany, and that began in the 1970s (or even earlier.) The movement really seemed to resonate with a nation of engineers and chemists.

It may sound a bit trite, but the Germans always did have a connection with the forests, and a walk in the woods was always an option for a Sunday afternoon, especially if there was a nice little Gastaette where you could refresh yourself before heading home.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Gwion

Postby Gwion » 06 Nov 2012, 11:01

I'm not sure what time frame you're talking about, …
I was thinking of the “first Druid revival” at the end of the fifteenth/beginning of the sixteenth century with the likes of Joannes Trithemius, Condrad Celtis and Johannes Aventinus. They preceded Iolo Morganwyg by more than 200 years although it’s Iolo who is probably considered the father of the revival.

As for twentieth century “spiritual” Druidry; I’ve come to think of Ross Nichols as the starting point for what most regard as the modern strand. I get the impression that the friendship between him and Gerald Gardner sowed the seeds of the modern forms of paganism but I’m totally unclear about where USA Druid groups, for example, fit into this picture.
It may sound a bit trite, but the Germans always did have a connection with the forests.
I’d not disagree about a German love of the outdoors in general and their pioneering position, although by the time of the most modern pagan revival the UK had already had its own “right to roam” movement with things like the Kinder trespass – as well as a (second) folk revival with an overlap of proponents (such as Ewan MacColl. By the time the American social folk influence and youthful outlook arrived in the 1960s, the time was certainly right to blend all these strands together. I think much of modern paganism has roots in the spiritual aspects from Gardner and Nichols, a love of the outdoors and an interest in the expression provided by modern “folk” music.

[I’m not sure how I got to this point in a thread on “Questions about OBOD's course”, particularly as I’m not taking any of them and don’t know what’s in them, so I’ll stop now. Sorry for the thread drift. :oops: ]
"Had I lived I might have been clever" - from the traditional ballad "The Bonny Bunch of Roses"
Some songs https://soundcloud.com/gwionssongs https://soundcloud.com/sthomason-1
Some Pictures http://gwion01.deviantart.com/

WaffleBox
OBOD Ovate

Postby WaffleBox » 01 Aug 2014, 22:10

Howdy y'all! I am very strongly considering enrolling in the bardic course, but I have a couple quick questions first.

I started working through the New Order of Druids bardic course. Here is an example of one of the assignments (the course is freely available, so I don't think I'm violating anybody by posting this here):
Write an essay (3-5 pages, double spaced) exploring initiation (darkness) as the bridge between longing and the belonging found in relationship with nature and the transpersonal. What are your longings? How do you (or how do you not) feel a sense of belonging in your life? Incorporate your experiences with the exercise.
All of the other assignments for the course are similar in nature, i.e. 3-5 page essays on some sort of esoteric, highly intellectualized topic. I know that everybody describes the OBOD course as being more experiential, so I think I know the answer, but I will ask anyway. Is the above assignment the type of thing I should expect in the OBOD course? Or is it drastically different than that?

Secondly, I'm at an odd place in terms of my religious beliefs right now, but I am most likely to end up with more-or-less Deistic beliefs, with no belief in any sort of spirits or faeries or anything else along those lines. Will OBOD's materials end up annoying me with lots of references to such things?

Thanks!
Image Image

Catafonia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Catafonia » 01 Aug 2014, 23:27

Hi Wafflebox (great name :D )

IMVHO the Bardic grade with OBOD avoids an overly intellectual approach. That doesn't mean you can't be intellectual but the general idea is that we need to get back in touch with the natural world and become more sensitive to what is around us and learn to express our creativity - which is often blocked by a purely intellectual approach. So you won't be asked to write these types of essays. There are practices throughout the course that help you to explore yourself and the world around you but in a more accessible - and fun! - way, with the emphasis on doing it, not talking about it. I found the course flexible in encouraging the practical side while satisfying the intellectual aspect. You won't be asked to write essays but I recommend you ask for a tutor fairly early on: you can tell them how you are getting on with the course and they can give feedback or some pointers. It's great to have a personal sounding board.

Myths are part of the course because they contain so much useful information we can work with on a spiritual path - so gods and goddesses and various other folk of that ilk do crop up but how you choose to see them is up to you. You don't have to believe in anything in particular; I personally have found it very rewarding using these myths and didn't find these figures, symbols, however you want to characterise them, as irritating because they bring the messages in these myths to life in ways that boring theory can't, along the lines of "a picture speaks a thousand words". I was definitely a "please! no fairies!" person but I've come to really appreciate the insights you can gain from working with this material - and in very unexpected ways. And I still haven't grown wings or hang about on toadstools on a regular basis.

You can always order the introductory package with the first 3 or 4 lessons and see if it resonates with you.

Good luck
Catafonia :smgrove:

WaffleBox
OBOD Ovate

Postby WaffleBox » 05 Aug 2014, 15:03

Just ordered the course this morning. Can't wait!
Image Image

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Postby scopulus » 22 Sep 2014, 14:14

hello there,

Knowing the NOD people personnally and being into the druidry OBOD course, I can say I like both approaches.
OBOD is more about experiences and how you feel things at a way. They start with the basic (and let me note down that basic exercises are really worth to redo them with a free mind, instead of thinking: oh I know this already so I skip it). NOD course does indeed reach down the intellectual way. I think both are good courses but I have not done the course from NOD , except reading it.
Both are an approach to reach into your spirituality, and there is even a third ray in my humble opinion. Psychology.
If you do a course, whichever it is , it is wise to stick it with it for the time you need, but not start another course when you haven't finished one yet. Offcourse, that is my experiences, for I believe it is easy to mix things up. Once you did OBOD bardic grade, you can always pick up the NOD bardic grade or any other order's course is my opinion.
I am currently working on my Ovate grade here, and I believe I need another lenghty time to finish it up , but then I do realise to start more courses regarding the subject.

I hope this grants you some insight Wafflefox ;)
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

sarahd

Postby sarahd » 11 Jun 2015, 02:05

Howdy y'all! I am very strongly considering enrolling in the bardic course, but I have a couple quick questions first.

I started working through the New Order of Druids bardic course. Here is an example of one of the assignments (the course is freely available, so I don't think I'm violating anybody by posting this here):
Write an essay (3-5 pages, double spaced) exploring initiation (darkness) as the bridge between longing and the belonging found in relationship with nature and the transpersonal. What are your longings? How do you (or how do you not) feel a sense of belonging in your life? Incorporate your experiences with the exercise.
All of the other assignments for the course are similar in nature, i.e. 3-5 page essays on some sort of esoteric, highly intellectualized topic. I know that everybody describes the OBOD course as being more experiential, so I think I know the answer, but I will ask anyway. Is the above assignment the type of thing I should expect in the OBOD course? Or is it drastically different than that?

Secondly, I'm at an odd place in terms of my religious beliefs right now, but I am most likely to end up with more-or-less Deistic beliefs, with no belief in any sort of spirits or faeries or anything else along those lines. Will OBOD's materials end up annoying me with lots of references to such things?

Thanks!
I had some of the same concerns. I thought I'd have to write essays, have homework in the OBOD course but I'm glad I don't. I pick it up when I make time, do the exercises, and it's perfect for me. It is experiential. I think it's much more personal than anything I've seen or heard of. But still there's enough there to connect you to others if that's what you want.

edryd_derwydd

Postby edryd_derwydd » 29 Dec 2015, 02:33

Hi everyone! I tried reading and searching through all of these pages, but I couldn't seem to find an answer to two of my questions. If you all would be so kind as to indulge me:

My first question is this; I am planning a move in about 3 months. Should I wait to order the course until I move or is it fairly easy to update my delivery address? I ask because I am in the USA and it might be a bit more difficult.

My second question is; On the website there is no real mention of the Ovate and Druid courses that I could find. Does the ability to obtain these courses come only after completion of the Bardic course? If so how? Is it in the last Gwersi or does one contact the Order itself? Kind of attached to this question, are there Certificates of completion or some such thing with each course or only at the end of all three?

Thank you all for your time!

Edryd

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 29 Dec 2015, 09:53

Hi everyone! I tried reading and searching through all of these pages, but I couldn't seem to find an answer to two of my questions. If you all would be so kind as to indulge me:

My first question is this; I am planning a move in about 3 months. Should I wait to order the course until I move or is it fairly easy to update my delivery address? I ask because I am in the USA and it might be a bit more difficult.

My second question is; On the website there is no real mention of the Ovate and Druid courses that I could find. Does the ability to obtain these courses come only after completion of the Bardic course? If so how? Is it in the last Gwersi or does one contact the Order itself? Kind of attached to this question, are there Certificates of completion or some such thing with each course or only at the end of all three?

Thank you all for your time!

Edryd
Hi Edryd, a warm welcome to you and your lovely welsh name! :hiya:

Regards your first question, you need to get in touch with the office to sort it out. The contact address is office@druidry.org

Question 2. Yes the Ovate and Druid grade lead on from the Bardic course. You need to get in touch with a tutor who will give great feedback throughout the course and assist you with this process. Please use the same address as above to arrange a tutor.

I can't tell you whether we have certificates as we have to have some secrets!! :wink: :grin: but I can tell you that there is a Members Only section for all things Bardic. You can join in by following this link viewtopic.php?f=240&t=479

Good luck!

Heddwen :)

Awenspirit
OBOD Bard

Postby Awenspirit » 07 Mar 2016, 23:34

Hello! I am considering signing up for the Bardic course. My main concern is that I do not live in a "forested" area. It's a desert. Since this is such a different climate than one normally thinks of when Druidry comes to mind, will that matter in the course? Studying wiccan and druid lore has always been at odds with where I live as we simply do not have the flora and fauna that is often referenced in a lot of books, etc. Same with the change of seasons as we don't have the same indication that a change is happening, for example- the leaves don't really fall and there isn't usually snow, and spring and summer blend into one another and the only real change is it gets (much) hotter.

Also, has anyone done just the audio course? What was your experience?

Thank you!
"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Thoreau

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 08 Mar 2016, 09:29

Hello! I am considering signing up for the Bardic course. My main concern is that I do not live in a "forested" area. It's a desert. Since this is such a different climate than one normally thinks of when Druidry comes to mind, will that matter in the course? Studying wiccan and druid lore has always been at odds with where I live as we simply do not have the flora and fauna that is often referenced in a lot of books, etc. Same with the change of seasons as we don't have the same indication that a change is happening, for example- the leaves don't really fall and there isn't usually snow, and spring and summer blend into one another and the only real change is it gets (much) hotter.

Also, has anyone done just the audio course? What was your experience?

Thank you!

Welcome to the OBOD board, Awenspirit. Thank you for your interest in the course, I understand that druids who live in areas that don't have the 'flora and fauna/seasons' adapt the course to their surroundings. You can get a 'taste' of the course by ordering the introductory pack from the office. I haven't done the audio course as I like to make notes on the written copies! So I can't help you there.

with many Blessings,

Heddwen :)

Return to “Discuss Druidry”