"What is Druidry?" Members offer their views.

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 09 Sep 2004, 18:55

Yes, as an evolutionary biologist recently said, the one thing that really differentiates humans from the other apes is our ability to believe in somthing that isn't there!
ah, those tricky evolutionary biologists....

This is what I wrote after 12 months of studying the bardic course :

Druidry is a spirituality of simple things - of place and time, existence and imagination. It teaches the apreciation of sunrises and the sound of water. We are free to express divinity as we experience it.
To those who are willing to learn, it teaches love and compassion, to listen to the song of our hearts and the music of the earth.

And sometimes, hugging trees is in order.
Last edited by Lily on 21 Oct 2004, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

tosspint

Postby tosspint » 19 Sep 2004, 02:46

To me, druidry is being joyfully haunted by the spirit that imbues the living world.

Melonfish

Postby Melonfish » 08 Mar 2005, 03:00

erm, okay do you want the dictionary definition or the short version, i think both will need a bigger forum ;)
to me? Druidry is the earth and life around us, the living spirit of all things and a way we must get back to that spirit, a way to live in harmony with the earth and stop the sensless rape of its natural resources.

druidry, how many people can say that they can actually hear the life in a drop of water? or a leaf on the breaze.

pete

annie

thanks

Postby annie » 10 Mar 2005, 06:30

hello alferian. thanks for your views on druidry. i am a new obod member, as i am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the intro to the bardic home study course. i met a grove of druids at pantheacon this year, and after visiting your website i knew this was for me. i've actually been a pagan buddhist(more in the reclaiming tradition of starhawk) for many years. but i like especially the druid emphasis on the arts and as a person of welsh ancestry, i feel that this is my indigenous spirituality. annie

Beadmouse

Postby Beadmouse » 12 Apr 2005, 12:24

Druidry is a path that acknowledges and honours the whole. The body and the spirit. The tangible and the imagined. The individual and the community. The animate and the innanimate. The Mountain and the river. The lion and the ant. Life and death. A way of understanding the spiral that contains all without privilaging any one part of it.

At least, those are my thoughts :)

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 03 Jun 2005, 00:34

Please click here

The link above is a very good insight into Druidry today, enjoy.
The site is excellent

Star & stone
:merlyn1:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 03 Jun 2005, 00:54

Excellent Merlyn! thank you!

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Seeker
OBOD Druid

Postby Seeker » 03 Jun 2005, 01:00

I, too, have discovered this very interesting site, and have also found it quite inspiring. Thank you for pointing this out, Merlyn!
"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought."
Matsuo Basho

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Postby Merlyn » 03 Jun 2005, 03:03

You are welcome Emrys & Donata,
As much as any definition of "Druid" might be important, I feel that our personal experience is even more valid. Each Druid was a Life devoted, and respected.
Simple as it is, the idea that "happiness is something we create" holds a very deep and profound meaning to me. To accept the gift of life and the value of it's justice, is to be content. To ask more of it is to betray and defile that very gift.
Philosophy? Religion? Neither seems to describe how I feel about Druidry or the walk of a Druid's path.
I see Druidry as a very humble but vibrant passion for life in all forms.

We are witness to the cosmos, how could we ever ask for any more?

Peace in light
:merlyn1:
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

radgareb

Postby radgareb » 31 Dec 2005, 04:06

I agree Merlyn, for me it is a humbling joy of all life and the dynamics of life. Every known element on the periodic table is a product of an exploding sun and we and everything we perceive are linked together.

tate

Postby tate » 28 Aug 2006, 22:22

for me, Druidry is a way for me to reconnect with the instinctive beliefs i aquired as a child, and had forgotten or neglected until i discovered DRuidry.

Propheous

Postby Propheous » 28 Aug 2006, 23:16

Below is a long quote and I apologise for it. I thought it would be good to quote it in its entirety because it says something solid to me. I think RavenLord sums everything up I feel in a very good way. I take the title of "Druid" because I am walking that path, not because I am there yet. Though the path RavenLord speaks about is exactly what I am walking.

As far as courses go, no one course can bestow anything but tools you can use on the path you tread. This O.B.O.D. course I take is nothing more then a series of tools I am acquiring along the path to use in achieving the Oneness described below.

I think the term mysticism and magick as it applies to druidry is only in the aspect of brief moments were we work to achieve and punch through to that oneness. Sometimes we achieve it and things happen around us then we lose it and try to find another way to capture. The key of course is in finding out how to be it instead of achieving it through constructs and focuses.
I do not so much think of myself as a "practitioner of Druidry", because I do not "practice" the ancient Druid way of life. Not for a lack of wanting, but I simply find that in the world and the life in which I live, it is far too difficult, and in fact would cause more problems than good, to try and live by the Old Ways. So rather, I see myself as a believer and follower of the Old Ways of Druidism. I have always been far more involved with the spirituality and philosophy of the ancients, than I have been wanting to practice their rituals and ways. I would very much love to live that life, and have others around as I, who could celebrate Samhain and the Solstices and Equinoxes and so on and so forth.....to live in such a place where this is commonplace, that everyone does it, and it's just like any other gathering or celebration of holidays. But I have never met another "Druid" in my lifetime, and I feel incredibly awkward trying to relate to the many local "Wiccans" in my area, although to be fair I've tried. But at the end of the day, I simply find that I cannot relate to them, they are far too different, and with the few similiarties aside, their thoughts, their attitude, and their ways seem to me to be nothing like what I feel in my heart Druidism is all about.

I have never felt, and still do not feel, that Druidism (the ideals), or Druidry (the practice), is about "magick" and mysticism, as much as it is about looking at things from a different perspective, seeing the world through the eyes of the world, instead of through your own. Stiving to be one with everything around you, instead of trying to find what I feel might very well be a nonexistant "Oneness" within the self. The relation to nature is Paramount to not only the ancient Druid beliefs, but also their very ways of life. They attributed everything they learned and knew, and kept as Truth, to studying Nature, to studying the seasons, the stars, the winds, the waters, the animals, the trees and the grass....everything. Their philosophies were not taught in a course or learned in books, they were learned by opening their eyes and observing the world around them. I have read that they learned of the eternal flow of time by watching the tides of the ocean. That they learned of life, death, and rebirth by watching the seasons come and go, of watching the plantlife be born, grow old, and wither to nothing, only to be reborn every spring. That they didn't really worship the Gods, so much as they respected and revered them, and saw themselves, on some plain, as being equals of the Gods, which I think is quite unique in and of itself, compared to most spiritual paths, ancient or new.

I have learned in my studies that in many ways, Druidism is much like Hinduism, the striving for Oneness with all, the reverence of the world and the things in it, the passion for life and art, and also the belief that All Gods are One God, and that while all things are seperate from the source of creation, they too are all a part of Creation, a part of God, so in essence, we all have the spirit of God flowing through us. The Druids called that the Awen, the Flowing Spirit, that created and animated all life. But I also found that as similar as the two paths were, they were also very different. I think the key difference being that Hinduism focuses on finding inner peace within you, by becoming one with all by seperating yourself from it, and becoming One within yourself. To my understanding, the ancient Druid's philosopies were geared more to the thought that to become one with everything, you truly must BECOME One with the world around you, to become attuned to the elements, the seasons, the earth , the sky, the stars, the animals  and trees and everything in between. It is said that that is where the notion of "Wizards", in the commonly accepted modern fantasy sense, originated, from the image of old Druids who had reached such a point in their lives, in their path, where they truly had attained Oneness with the world around them, and could manage incredible feats of "magick", indeed like wizards of old, and could perhaps even command the elements, and talk to nature, read the stars and the clouds and the tides.....to heal without medicines.....truly incredible things. And while much of that to the modern scheptical mind may sound indeed like nothing but fantasy....I for one have always believed that magick must have existed in some very real form once, and that for all the similar stories and "myths" of the ancients, of Dragons, of Giants and "little people", of other humanoid races, of great monsters and fantastic feats.......not every single ancient people could have been "wrong" about all of that...or that every single ancient culture on earth, who all seem to share very similar stories and world views, could all have been just imagining things, because they were not yet blessed with the modern miracle of science, which obviously explains everything to us as fact.

To me, Druidism is about Truth. Understanding, a deeper understanding than most. To me, the practice of scientific study, which of course is all the word "science" means, "to study", while very useful and helpful in many ways, tends to miss the important details, because if the universe were a great puzzle, science only seems to focus on the individuals pieces that make it all up, to see how each one works, and try to understand how all the pieces come together. To me, while commendable, that way seems backwards and counterproductive. To me, I'd like to think of the Druidic line of thought, to be more about taking a step back from yourself, and instead of trying to study all the individual pieces of life, of the world, of the universe at large, instead it is about trying to percieve the entire puzzle, to stand back and try to see the bigger, complete picture, and accept it for what you understand it to be.....and in that simpleness of thought, through accepting the bigger picture, knowledge and understanding, combined making wisdom, comes to us, instead of us looking for it.

We who strive to follow what we understand of the Old Ways refer to ourselves as Druids, because they are who we are trying to be, and in a sense, we are on that same exact path. But while we call ourselves Druids, I do not, in my heart, really believe that we can call ourselves such a thing, for what they went through to earn that title, and what we, in our many varied ways, attempt to reach the same end, are very different indeed, and in most cases, I would think, certainly not as long and diciplined as those who once spent most of their lives striving to earn the title of Druid....much like martial artists spend most of their lives striving to earn the rank of Master. At the same time, though, I disagree with those who hold the notion that there can never be Druids again in the world, because they are long gone and we have no connection to them. I do not think that to be true at all. If any of us truly believe what little we know of their ancient ways, than of course we know and understand that any number of us could have once been the Druids of Old....and we are mearly coming back to it in this life. Nothing is coincidence of course. But that brings up the matter of "how can anyone these days become a Druid? How can you call yourselves that when you know so little of the real Druids?"

And to that, I say, it's not out of the realm of possibility at all. I do not neccisarily think that one needs to take a "course", or jump through hoops, so to speak. I think the same Truths that were available for the ancients to study, are still around us today, and we have but to look at them and learn to follow the same path as our ancestors, of blood and spirit. In my heart, I do indeed one day hope that I will earn the title of Druid, to finally be at that level. But I know also that I am nowhere near that place now, and that I have a very long way to go. The knowledge is all there, I feel, and the wisdom come and goes, but it's still a lifelong path, and it is one, in my case, that I have accepted I must take alone. There was a time when I longed for nothing more than to find "others like me", "my kind", my kindred spirits....people who I could feel that I belong with. To some extent, I still want that. But unlike then, when I was much younger and very naive, although comendably passionate, I now have learned, on my path, that just as the ancients must have known, acceptance is the only true path to understanding, and therefor I must accept that there are no other "Druids" around me, nor anywhere close to me, and thus this is not a path I can really share with anyone. At least not at this point in my life. It is a path that I must traverse alone, like a spirit quest through the wilderness, till I can make it through, and come back with the right to call myself "Druid". Perhaps someday, I still hope, that I will reach that place, and that too I will have access to others like myself, and in fact perhaps even help to lead a movement, towards better things, and share what I know, and what I have, and will have learned, before my time is done.

To me, that is Druidism. It is a neverending cycle of Truth and a quest for the acceptance and understanding of that Truth. I am not One with the world around me, not by a long shot. If I were, I'd be a lot more at peace than my restless and tired soul is right now. But I accept that I am not there yet, and that I have a long way to go, and I also understand that I have much of the knowledge inside me, some of it known to me, some of it not quite yet revealed, that will help carry me through on my path...and so it is my belief that that acceptance and understanding in my path for Truth, that I walk the walk of the Druid. There is so much more to it. It is so complicated, with so many facets. Yet it is also so very simple in it's nature, and all those many facets still come together to form the One. It's all the same, so there's no reason to say it all at once. That is impossible. But yeah....I guess I am very much a "lone Wolf", a "solitary practitioner" if it sounds better....and those are my thoughts on Druidry.

CelticWhisper

Great thread!

Postby CelticWhisper » 10 Sep 2006, 13:00

I've been perusing the posts here, old and new. There is wonderful discussion and much food for thought.

This site has been an excellent addition to my studies.

Thank you!

BB

Joshuan1

Re: Truth and Honesty

Postby Joshuan1 » 04 May 2007, 15:14

Samantha,

I think that "honesty" is a good word for the Druid idea of Truth in the OBOD tradition.  It isn't so much about teaching or learning some "absolute truth" or religious revelation, or accepting "the one true God" -- it's about learning to see when things ring true or ring false, to see the possibility of deception,  

Alferian /|\
I cannot describe how much TRUTH has meant to me. I have gotten into so much trouble, been so many times ostracized because I saw deception or show and would not simply walk with it or accept it. Even if it cost me jobs or relationships I could not allow myself (even if it was going to cost me) to go along with deception or being fake. I left BIBLE SCHOOL because of this! Because they were teaching me what to believe instead of how to think. Criticizing my thirst for knowledge and trying to get me to be silent and blindly accept spiritual half truths, deceptions and con artists. My path of trying to humbly walk in truth and being true caused much isolation from my Assembly of God Christian family. I now see that it was part of my Druid blood. My Druid spirit. This explains my zeal for justice, my need and desire to see it. My need to walk a singular path of solitary walks in my spirituality. It explains why I hate "church" as we know it with its make believe love and community and enforced silence as we let others plan our path and decide for us what is right. I am glad that I finally found the finger print for my life in being a Druid. I stuck out since I was able to walk and speak and had to walk a different path for some reason...even when I didn't want to.

Thanks for writing about truth.

chadly

Postby chadly » 09 Jun 2007, 02:21

This is a very interesting thread!

The original post made me think of something.... in the sections it talks about the gods and goddesses, it mentions that Druids see the deities as archetypal constructs, or the spirits of the place. Does that mean that the Druids don't believe their deities are separate entities such as 'traditional' Pagans do?

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 09 Jun 2007, 02:53

Well, I think many Druids probably do consider themselves "traditional" Pagans, but that aside, it entirely depends upon the Druid—ask a dozen Druids about their concept of Deity and you're likely to get at least a dozen different answers.
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

paganbaby

Postby paganbaby » 01 Jul 2007, 18:52

I have enjoyed reading all these informative posts on Druidry, it has added so much more to my personal study! Thanks for sharing all your wisdom!

Love and Light
Many Blessings xx
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Attila

Re: "What is Druidry?" Members offer their views.

Postby Attila » 06 Apr 2008, 19:07

after reading some of the replies here, i wonder if druidry is the only ‘religion’ that offers survival of the individual!? everything else seams to demonise or say we should not be what we are, but what is liberation and enlightenment if it is not something the individual can obtain. i think that even in a transformed state i.e. like when out of body, we are still the same entity. indeed it is the fact that what we are goes beyond the material, which makes us more than organic robots.

people presume that the aspect of us that is non material is beyond this world, i am not so sure, when we are here we are fully here, when there we are fully there, it is no different and the entity remains essentially the same.
the truth is naked.
once it is written it is lost.
what is life; life is not a question.
genius is the result of the entire product of man.
death cannot be experienced.
life is not brought to us in slices of unrealised perfection, we get the whole cake.

Ainevar

Postby Ainevar » 13 Jun 2008, 16:57

What is Druidry? well for me.....................It is the faith that is saved me from my own stupidty. It is the belief sytem that fits closest 2 how I feel. It is pagan and part of the other parts of the old ways. It all depends on what U want 2 know. Druidry is a path that leads 2 the hapiness of the soul just as much as almost any other religion.

sirius
OBOD Ovate

Postby sirius » 01 Oct 2008, 11:05

Hi Folks, an African witch doctor once said to an English guy, that the African people are people of the plains, that is were they seek nourishment, that is were they find their power, the plains are the ancestor of the African people. Then the witch doctor said to the English guy, your people are people of the tree's, the tree's are you ancient ancestors and that is were you originate from. Druidry for me is the connection back to my original ancestors and the power of the land that I was born on. bright blessings, Sirius.
You are the ultimate authority of your own experience.

Return to “Discuss Druidry”