Ritual Clothing

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Ritual Clothing

Postby Boadicea » 02 Apr 2012, 08:02

I'm a new member to the OBOD and I very much cherish the use of ritual clothing, whether in private study and ritual or in group gatherings. I was wondering, should the robes we wear be of a certain color based on our grade level and if so, what are those colors?

Thanks!

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Re: Ritual Clothing

Postby Lily » 02 Apr 2012, 10:09

they don't HAVE to be anything. Technicolor if you want.

white is popular. some people use a tabbard in the color of the grade - blue for bards, green for Ovates, white for druids.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Equidae

Postby Equidae » 02 Apr 2012, 19:30

This is a bit off topic, but the mention of ritual clothing reminded me of something I'd been wondering. In some of the books I've been reading I've ran across mentions of performing rituals while skyclad. It really struck me as odd since throughout history humans seem to prefer being at least partially clothed. I'm no prude, but I can safely say the only time I'll be skyclad is within the confines of my shower! Is there any legitimate historical precedence for religious ritual nakedness, and do legitimate groups today actually practice this?
“So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

“Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cynewulf
OBOD Bard

Postby Cynewulf » 02 Apr 2012, 21:12

The only colour they have to be is the colour that works best for you :) Although it is always preferable to make your own ritual equipment, or for it to have been gifted to you by a friend, or for you to have found it. Doing this makes it more energetically sound and you will feel a deeper connection with the item, which will enrich and strengthen your ritual workings.

:tiphat:

@Equidae: I have been to numerous OBOD camps where people have participated in ritual skyclad, so yes it is very much practiced today. Although I'm no expert anthropologist, I'm certain I have seen photos of many traditional society's practising group ritual whilst naked, so I would say there is historical president. Not that I personally believe that historical president is needed to create living, breathing, effective ritualism though. :)

Equidae

Postby Equidae » 02 Apr 2012, 21:38

The only colour they have to be is the colour that works best for you :) Although it is always preferable to make your own ritual equipment, or for it to have been gifted to you by a friend, or for you to have found it. Doing this makes it more energetically sound and you will feel a deeper connection with the item, which will enrich and strengthen your ritual workings.

:tiphat:

@Equidae: I have been to numerous OBOD camps where people have participated in ritual skyclad, so yes it is very much practiced today. Although I'm no expert anthropologist, I'm certain I have seen photos of many traditional society's practising group ritual whilst naked, so I would say there is historical president. Not that I personally believe that historical president is needed to create living, breathing, effective ritualism though. :)
Thanks for the info, I was curious about the practice. I think that's 1 for 500 of the claims about paganism the fundies I grew up around were right about :roll:
“So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

“Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ses
OBOD Bard

Postby Ses » 02 Apr 2012, 23:38

Is there anywhere you can buy robes, I would consider making them but alas I have no sowing machine and seem to have the creative talent of a duck.

Art
OBOD Druid

Postby Art » 02 Apr 2012, 23:59

This is a bit off topic, but the mention of ritual clothing reminded me of something I'd been wondering. In some of the books I've been reading I've ran across mentions of performing rituals while skyclad. It really struck me as odd since throughout history humans seem to prefer being at least partially clothed. I'm no prude, but I can safely say the only time I'll be skyclad is within the confines of my shower! Is there any legitimate historical precedence for religious ritual nakedness, and do legitimate groups today actually practice this?
There is a precedence of sorts from different sources. It is not however, a requirement nor do most Pagan folk strip for ritual. Nor should it every be considered a requirement anywhere and if you are told that a given group requires skyclad ritual (or for that matter anything else that makes you uncomfortable) head for the hills and find another group. Skyclad ritual should always be an option and never a requirement.

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Postby Boadicea » 03 Apr 2012, 04:47

@Ses

I've only found one place that sells druid robes and they come in only white and black. There is another site that sells a ritual monk robe but it looks more like something you'd wear to the Renaissance Faire although it does come in several colors so you could get it in green or blue if you wanted. It might be something you'd really like but I'm not too fond of the style. Here are the links...

White druid robe: http://www.themagickmoon.com/druid-robe ... herbalmuse
Black druid robe: http://www.themagickmoon.com/druid-robe-in-black.html
Renaissance monk outfit: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Robe-Wizard ... B00487L906
Note: the outfit above... If you like that and want to see it in different colors, you'll have to go to eBay. I've only found it on Amazon in green. search for "robe waist cord" on ebay.com to see the other colors available from the sellers on there

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 03 Apr 2012, 06:23

I agree with that. If you go skyclad for 'historical reasons' then you miss the point. It is very much about here and now.
Being naked shifts your state of mind, just like ritual clothing does, but differently. You can become more 'in touch' and vulnerable at the same time, which deepens the spiritual bond with what you are doing in ritual. But it can also be a distraction if you're not comfortable with it.

I have been to many group rituals and a number of camps, but I can't remember people going skyclad (alas, because I would like that). Which camps are you talking about? In private rituals we sometimes go skyclad, depending on the place, the sort of ritual and the participants.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Ses
OBOD Bard

Postby Ses » 03 Apr 2012, 10:03

@Ses

I've only found one place that sells druid robes and they come in only white and black. There is another site that sells a ritual monk robe but it looks more like something you'd wear to the Renaissance Faire although it does come in several colors so you could get it in green or blue if you wanted. It might be something you'd really like but I'm not too fond of the style. Here are the links...

White druid robe: http://www.themagickmoon.com/druid-robe ... herbalmuse
Black druid robe: http://www.themagickmoon.com/druid-robe-in-black.html
Renaissance monk outfit: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Robe-Wizard ... B00487L906
Note: the outfit above... If you like that and want to see it in different colors, you'll have to go to eBay. I've only found it on Amazon in green. search for "robe waist cord" on ebay.com to see the other colors available from the sellers on there

Thank you for that :) I'll probably go for the White robe. Thanks again for that :)

Bart
OBOD Ovate

Postby Bart » 03 Apr 2012, 12:04

Remember White stains, so only usefull for clean rituals. No animal sacrifices and such.

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 03 Apr 2012, 12:11

No animal sacrifices and such.

:warm: or virgins.

jokes aside, there are loads of places that can make you a robe other than the one above. google druid robe. you will get some "fantasy" and "world of warcraft" hits but also genuine providers of bespoke ritual garb.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Ses
OBOD Bard

Postby Ses » 03 Apr 2012, 13:32

I did have a look and I got alot of runescape hits. I did find this site though - http://www.yourdressmaker.com/shop/en/ritual-robes-30/

Equidae

Postby Equidae » 03 Apr 2012, 14:49

No animal sacrifices and such.

:warm: or virgins.

jokes aside, there are loads of places that can make you a robe other than the one above. google druid robe. you will get some "fantasy" and "world of warcraft" hits but also genuine providers of bespoke ritual garb.
What about the Jehovah's Witnesses who wake me up at 7am so they can hear me refuse their gibberish again.

Ses
OBOD Bard

Postby Ses » 03 Apr 2012, 16:03

I'm pretty sure thats allowed. We haven't had any around our area in a couple of years that i've seen.

Cynewulf
OBOD Bard

Postby Cynewulf » 04 Apr 2012, 20:55

I agree with that. If you go skyclad for 'historical reasons' then you miss the point. It is very much about here and now.
Being naked shifts your state of mind, just like ritual clothing does, but differently. You can become more 'in touch' and vulnerable at the same time, which deepens the spiritual bond with what you are doing in ritual. But it can also be a distraction if you're not comfortable with it.

I have been to many group rituals and a number of camps, but I can't remember people going skyclad (alas, because I would like that). Which camps are you talking about? In private rituals we sometimes go skyclad, depending on the place, the sort of ritual and the participants.
I go to the UK camps and Lughnasadh is where it most commonly happens. This is generally because of the good weather, that and the fact that the current Beltane field is not hidden away from public view.

Nudity is not compulsory in ritual at camp and doesn’t always happen, but sometimes people turn up naked for ritual, or ware vary few items of clothing if they feel it strengthens their role within a ritual.

I think it was last Beltane when a group of us went up onto Dragon Hill in the dead of night and spent a few hours dancing and howling at the moon whilst passing around a Horned God mask, some people went nude then. It was a very powerful, feral experience – wild Magick to say the least. :)

I can also remember a particularly amusing naked dance of life once where everyone spontaneously stripped down in the middle of a thunderstorm and danced around central fire. I didn’t take part (I personally don't feel comfortable with being naked around anyone I'm not currently sleeping with and it took a while for me to get used to the nudism at camp) but it was rather amusing to watch all the older druids bouncing (literally) around the place in the nude. :)

If you've been to camp in the last few years then we may have met. :) I'm called Draig at camp and am one of Tribe's Site Managers. :D

Equidae

Postby Equidae » 04 Apr 2012, 21:35

Cynewulf, I think you got lost on the way to Lughnasadh and ended up at Gunnison Beach... :grin:

maddy332

Postby maddy332 » 01 Apr 2016, 10:58

I'm a new member to the OBOD and I very much cherish the use of ritual Private Label Clothing Manufacturers, whether in private study and ritual or in group gatherings. I was wondering, should the robes we wear be of a certain color based on our grade level and if so, what are those colors?

Thanks!

Hey,
you'd wear to the Renaissance Faire although it does come in several colors so you could get it in green or blue if you wanted,
I personally believe that historical president is needed to create living, breathing, effective ritualism though. :applause:

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 01 Apr 2016, 11:46

I'm a new member to the OBOD and I very much cherish the use of ritual Private Label Clothing Manufacturers, whether in private study and ritual or in group gatherings. I was wondering, should the robes we wear be of a certain color based on our grade level and if so, what are those colors?

Thanks!

Hey,
you'd wear to the Renaissance Faire although it does come in several colors so you could get it in green or blue if you wanted,
I personally believe that historical president is needed to create living, breathing, effective ritualism though. :applause:
Hey maddy332, welcome to the OBOD board and thank you for your suggestion.

with best wishes,

Heddwen.

Return to “Discuss Druidry”