Dealing with stress

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
TheMopPetal2

Dealing with stress

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 25 Nov 2013, 21:42

I work in a call center doing tech support for a pretty well know corporation in the US and it can get pretty stressful as you might imagine with people calling in upset and sometime irate because their stuff doesnt work. This has been taking a toll on my health and I've noticed that I'm more prone to getting anxiety attacks over the past 6 months or so sometimes as frequently as once a day. I've also noticed that almost every night when I get home from work I'm so emotionally drained that I'm in a stupor or daze which only fuels my anxiety attcks. I have been keeping my eye out for other jobs but theres not very many thst pay as good as this one that yoi dont need a college degree for so for right now im kind ofstuck.

I'm still a newbie to druidry so i thought I would get other peopkes opinion on how to handle stress and hopefully getting rid of these anxiety attacks.

CorvusCrow

Re: Dealing with stress

Postby CorvusCrow » 25 Nov 2013, 21:53

I work in a call center doing tech support for a pretty well know corporation in the US and it can get pretty stressful as you might imagine with people calling in upset and sometime irate because their stuff doesnt work. This has been taking a toll on my health and I've noticed that I'm more prone to getting anxiety attacks over the past 6 months or so sometimes as frequently as once a day. I've also noticed that almost every night when I get home from work I'm so emotionally drained that I'm in a stupor or daze which only fuels my anxiety attcks. I have been keeping my eye out for other jobs but theres not very many thst pay as good as this one that yoi dont need a college degree for so for right now im kind ofstuck.

I'm still a newbie to druidry so i thought I would get other peopkes opinion on how to handle stress and hopefully getting rid of these anxiety attacks.
I am new as well but I always find meditation to be a great stress reliever. Particularly if you live someplace where you can find a quiet spot (a bit away from all the hustle and bustle of a city) in the woods to do it. If you can't get out into nature then I've found you can get some good results with some incense and meditation just about anywhere reasonably quiet. I know that for some people journaling helps as well.

TheMopPetal2

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 25 Nov 2013, 22:06

Ive been playing guitar because when i concentrate on that i can almost get myself into a trance where I'm not concentrating on my breathing(which also fuels my anxiety attacks) and that seems to help a lot but obviously i cant take my guitar to work :/

CorvusCrow

Postby CorvusCrow » 25 Nov 2013, 22:09

Ive been playing guitar because when i concentrate on that i can almost get myself into a trance where I'm not concentrating on my breathing(which also fuels my anxiety attacks) and that seems to help a lot but obviously i cant take my guitar to work :/
Not sure how things work for you at work but we have rooms for prayer..ect.

If I'm stressed, I go and meditate during my break and that tends to help. Sometimes reading something helps as well, particularly some soothing poems. I can often do the same as you do with the guitar when reading poetry.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 25 Nov 2013, 22:40

I used to be in a very stressful job, and what got me through it was my coworkers. We were all close enough that I could tell them exactly what I was thinking/feeling(usually in colorful terms), and it helped. Didn't always prevent an attack, but being comfortable enough to voice my feelings helped relax me enough to where I wasn't as prone to them.
Though I do understand not all groups of coworkers are that awesome...

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 26 Nov 2013, 08:51

Go to the loo a few times a day and take a moment to meditate there (while doing other business as well if you are on the clock).

If they allow smoking breaks and you don't smoke: just buy a packet and walk out with the rest of the smokers (you don't have to smoke them, just look like you do). At least it gets you outside for a few minutes.

An other thing can be to create an soothing aromatherapy mixture and use that on pressure points on your body. The scent can help you envision a shield around you, a little protective bubble that keeps other peoples energy at bay.

And last but not least: try to make talking to the people that call in a pleasant experience. Speaking with a smile will help both your nerves and have it's effect on the consumer. One of my former jobs was on an outbound callteam that had to phone people wo didn't pay their electric or gass-bills, and tell them that they either had to pay or they would be cut-off within a week. Not the easiest calls to make and I got my share of abuse. Still, I often had pleasant conversations because I'd let them rant a bit, listened and chat a few minutes about the problems those folks had and then gently turned the conversation around. Then I'd often make a agreement that they would pay off in small increments. My rate of succesful calls was significantly higher than average, so the fact that I never followed the script was quickly forgotten by my boss. Nevertheless, I was glad to get out off there.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Nov 2013, 16:30

And last but not least: try to make talking to the people that call in a pleasant experience. Speaking with a smile will help both your nerves and have it's effect on the consumer. One of my former jobs was on an outbound callteam that had to phone people wo didn't pay their electric or gass-bills, and tell them that they either had to pay or they would be cut-off within a week. Not the easiest calls to make and I got my share of abuse. Still, I often had pleasant conversations because I'd let them rant a bit, listened and chat a few minutes about the problems those folks had and then gently turned the conversation around. Then I'd often make a agreement that they would pay off in small increments. My rate of succesful calls was significantly higher than average, so the fact that I never followed the script was quickly forgotten by my boss. Nevertheless, I was glad to get out off there.
As someone who is no stranger to bill collectors, I'd like to say thanks for having that attitude! So many in that line of work forget the person on the other end of the line is a human being with feelings(and obvious troubles). A kind attitude makes things so much easier to work through.

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 26 Nov 2013, 22:22

I find that regular exercise helps. Can you go for a walk in your neighborhood or in a park on the way home- at the very least try a walking meditation, perhaps there's a mantra of some kind you could use.

here's one I came up with

mother I am
father I am
earth I am
sky I am

air I am
water I am
spirit I am
fire I am
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 27 Nov 2013, 09:22

It helps to practice meditation when you're less stressed, so that when it is overwhelming it is easier to drop into a light trance/relaxed state because your mind and body already know what to do.

CorvusCrow

Postby CorvusCrow » 27 Nov 2013, 15:47

It helps to practice meditation when you're less stressed, so that when it is overwhelming it is easier to drop into a light trance/relaxed state because your mind and body already know what to do.
agreed. Like anything, learning something under stress is going to be much more difficult than if you go into it already being proficient.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 14 Jan 2014, 02:01

Hell yes they are upset,,they spent good hard earned money ,,or ,, they were too stupid to read the book and now its broken dosent work and you are first in line :duck: ,,,You are living a form of PTSD,,The sooner you learn to look into yourself and know "its not your fault" but you may be able to fix it ,,your breathing will be deeper your heart rate will drop and how you feel about your self will go up,,
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Willowen
OBOD Bard

Postby Willowen » 14 Jan 2014, 03:23

If you can't get outside to take a break try deep breathing. I find that when I am stressed I don't breathe well. I've been known to hyperventilate on occasion. Try taking three consecutive deep breaths. This must be done very slowly and while you are doing it imagine yourself breathing in calming air very deeply. When you exhale, imagine that pent up anxiety going out of your body with your breath. With practice you can do it so you don't draw attention to yourself. Throughout the day I find it also helps to count my blessings.
Best of luck to you.
"The Way itself is a strengthening of spirit, a growing closer to the balance that governs the world. Progress is slow along the Way, but every step of the journey is like a note in the oldest tune of all. When you have the tune complete, you complete yourself." from Moonheart by Charles De Lint

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 08:07

I find that stopping for a moment to pray the Goredd Prayer and/or the Serenity Prayer. Sometimes I read the Psalms or the Book of Welsh Proverbs. When you pray, ask the Great Spirit to guide you with patience and humility. But seriously just stopping everything for a moment is more than reasonable and can do wonders for your anxiety level. I would also recommend drinking moderate amounts of red wine each day. That helps your memory and has anticancerous properties.
Yours in the Peace of the Grove,
/|\ Colley y Bara

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 13:46

You could also start a course of St Johns Wort. Drink it as a tea 2-3 times a day and you'll start to notice the effects in about 10 days once the St Johns medicine saturates your bloodstream.
Yours in the Peace of the Grove,
/|\ Colley y Bara

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 22 Jan 2016, 02:21

A little more expensive, but a therapeutic massage can do a lot too. A competent masseur will find the tense muscle groups and work on them. Some herbal teas can help too: Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer is effective for me.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “Discuss Druidry”