what is known about tree spirits

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
druidinthemist

what is known about tree spirits

Postby druidinthemist » 14 Nov 2014, 10:39

hi, i am seeking information about tree spirits. I have had experiences with the tree in the front boulevard of my house. i think there is a tree spirit living there. do they move or stay with the tree. thanks, jim

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Re: what is known about tree spirits

Postby PeteBranduir » 14 Nov 2014, 11:51

I feel I can say this without too much contradiction but, if a tree didn't have a spirit it wouldn't be alive. At least that's the impression I get and from what I've seen, many druids would tend to agree.
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 14 Nov 2014, 18:59

Jim, why don't you ask it? Politely, of course!

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 15 Nov 2014, 17:26

Imo There is no duality between spirit and matter. Trees do not have spirits and they are not inhabited by them. When you see the form of the tree and how it interacts with its environment you are looking at its spirit. I believe that the conceptual split between spirit and matter has been a factor in our environmental problems.

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Postby PeteBranduir » 15 Nov 2014, 20:44

Imo There is no duality between spirit and matter. Trees do not have spirits and they are not inhabited by them. When you see the form of the tree and how it interacts with its environment you are looking at its spirit. I believe that the conceptual split between spirit and matter has been a factor in our environmental problems.
This is a much better way of saying what I was trying to get across. It's the "I don't have a spirit, I am a spirit" concept but on a different level.
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 16 Nov 2014, 14:31

i grasp what you are trying to say, that everything on Earth, and the Earth itself is spiritual in nature. i tend towards the notion that 'spirits' inhabit trees, persons, etc,. but not everything is spirit. i think of my front lawn, and gravel pits, and mountain tops. i can't conceive of these being spiritual. jim

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 16 Nov 2014, 19:01

This is a much better way of saying what I was trying to get across. It's the "I don't have a spirit, I am a spirit" concept but on a different level.
And I totally agree with what you said. The spirit of a tree, I think, is its life.
i grasp what you are trying to say, that everything on Earth, and the Earth itself is spiritual in nature. i tend towards the notion that 'spirits' inhabit trees, persons, etc,. but not everything is spirit. i think of my front lawn, and gravel pits, and mountain tops. i can't conceive of these being spiritual. jim
I think of there being (at least) three spiritual states represented as geosphere, biosphere and noosphere (paralleled with Annwn, Abred and Gwynvid)
Geosphere (Annwn) - to exist is spiritual
Biosphere (Abred)- to live is spiritual
Noosphere (Gwynvid)- to be conscious is spiritual
These are qualitively different, and require different definitions, each one emerging from and growing within the previous sphere. I usually think of "spiritual" in terms of consciousness - and in this sense I don't regard a tree as "spiritual", though I recognise it's Living spirituality, the spirit of its life force. The spirit of the tree is expressed in its biological and ecological functions, i.e. how it recieves, channels and shares its Life with other life forms.

To build on Pete's statement "if a tree didn't have a spirit it wouldn't be alive"... because its spirit is Life itself.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 18 Nov 2014, 15:19

i think of my front lawn, and gravel pits, and mountain tops. i can't conceive of these being spiritual.
Hmmm in my experience I tend to disagree; each of these is it's own individual micro eco-system which produces its own energy; this energy when powerful enough, I feel, forms a spirit.

So a manicured golf-club like lawn that has been heavily dosed with chemicals, commonly branded as lawn 'care' products, then the eco-system has been poisoned and they have become green deserts (as my professional gardener friend would call them).

However, a lawn that is much rougher and has grass mixed with plantains, daisies, dandelion and other 'weeds' becomes abundent with micro-organisms, worms and insects. This kind of lawn is very much alive and forms part of a micro-ecosystem. Within the UK the Wildlife Trusts have recognised the importance of a wildlife garden in providing green corridors for wildlife to survive in.

It's the same with gravel pits - when people are extracting the gravel they are dead but afterwards they become wildlife havens and develop an ecological spirit.

Finally, I come to Mountain Tops - which is where to meet the Gods. The Tibetan name for Mount Everest is Chomolungma or Qomolangma (ཇོ་མོ་གླིང་མ, which means "Saint Mother").
The ancient Greek Gods lived on Mount Olympos.
This view that Mountains are home to the Giants and Gods is prevalent in Celtic lore and is thus an essential part of Druidry; the Paps of Anu in Ireland, Cadair Idris in Wales and Snowdonia has many Arthurian legends around it.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 18 Nov 2014, 15:48

I'd like to add that in some cases the mountain becomes a physical form of the deity. For example, carn Ingli in Pembrokeshire is said to be the Goddess Rhiannon from the mabinogion when observed from Pentre Ifan burial chamber and from the Newport direction it is seen as an angel. Saint Brynach went up the sacred mountain to commune with angels.

Personally I can't see any reason why trees (or plants for that matter) can't contain spirits. It's up to the individuals viewpoint, surely?

Return to “Discuss Druidry”