the history of the druids

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
druidinthemist

the history of the druids

Postby druidinthemist » 14 Nov 2014, 10:42

what is known of the druids of antiquity--were they spiritually gifted. can a person learn to be a druid and have spiritual gifts or does one have to be born to recieve 'powers'--i hate that word but can find no other. has anyone ever have visions of past druids. Were there druids in every celtic family or were we rare.
thanks, jim

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Re: the history of the druids

Postby PeteBranduir » 14 Nov 2014, 12:12

Hi Jim. I think you'll get the best answers from the main website. I know it's helped me a lot, and still is. It's basically a very deep and ever growing mine of information which has been made very esy to navigate. I'll link you to the brief history page to get you started.
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 14 Nov 2014, 18:56

I can also recommend just about any book by Ronald Hutton, but Blood and Mistletoe is considered a standard work of his on the topic.

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 14 Nov 2014, 19:20

I can also recommend just about any book by Ronald Hutton, but Blood and Mistletoe is considered a standard work of his on the topic.
Hutton's more recent "Pagan Britain" is also very informative and highly entertaining.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Postby PeteBranduir » 15 Nov 2014, 00:25

I do often find myself thinking of Hutton as a modern day Taliesin of druidic history.
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Return to “Discuss Druidry”