the development of a hedge druid

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
druidinthemist

the development of a hedge druid

Postby druidinthemist » 06 Jan 2015, 13:57

it has been a long and dangerous road for me as my development as a druid without the comfort of persons like me in my life. i suppose there is a positive here as i was forced to seek out my own answers, and wasn't spoon fed them. as i have stated in other posts i am a hereditary druid. the apparent rarity of my kind has made finding 'friends' even more difficult. with the love and memories of my grandmother in my mind i have made it through and find myself nearing a state of full development. it has been a painful development, not at all peaceful or content. i wish my grandmother had lived longer and i was older when we were together as there is much she could have taught me that i would later have to find out through trial and error. my cousin, who was damaged in one of our transitions, has given me some knowledge but it has been up to me as to what is truth and what is symptomatic of his present state. as difficult as it has been, i would not change a thing. i am proud to be a druid and pleased to be different. i watch my fellow man with a level of distress, and concern, and sadness. it is a sad state of affairs in this world of our's today. but i would rather see it clearly for what it is than put on the blinders they fit us with as children, and we ourselves later support, and in doing so narrow our perception to just what we need to get us through our day, from wake up to the turning off of the television at night. Waking to do it all over again--never questioning. if there are other druids with a lineage out there i would love to hear from you and share your thoughts and philosophies.

druidinthemist

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: the development of a hedge druid

Postby DaRC » 07 Jan 2015, 13:18

i am proud to be a druid and pleased to be different. i watch my fellow man with a level of distress, and concern, and sadness.
Agreed :applause:
It is a sad state of affairs in this world of ours today, but i would rather see it clearly for what it is than put on the blinders they fit us with as children, and we ourselves later support, and in doing so narrow our perception to just what we need to get us through our day, from wake up to the turning off of the television at night.
That is a great way of putting it. A friend of ours was around at the weekend, she's at the sensitive fluffy end of the new age paradigm, and we saw a TV show "Most shocking celebrity moments of 2014" with fake outrage/shock at various silly celebrity goings on (i.e. a bunch of people I've barely heard of being idiots).
I mentioned that, for me, the most shocking events of 2014 were the beheadings in Syria. Our friend had not even heard of it "I don't watch the news, it's too negative and upsetting". That was shocking - to blinker oneself away so far from the world. Our concern is that this is now affecting her mental resilience and she's becoming hyper-sensitive to mundane problems.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 07 Jan 2015, 15:21

That was shocking - to blinker oneself away so far from the world. Our concern is that this is now affecting her mental resilience and she's becoming hyper-sensitive to mundane problems.
(this is probably for a different thread, but)I have mixed feelings about that...I think we are exposed to so much horridness that doesn't really effect our lives...even indirectly, other than through the news. The actual "horror" factor in my life, thankfully, is pretty much nil. I was close to the scene of a terrorist attack in my town a couple of months ago, and I think I've been so desensitized by news that the sight of swat teams and ambulances was more "fascinating" than "terrifying".
I just don't know if it is a healthy thing *not* to be upset by things like that. I just finished watching (my choice) video of an officer being shot in Paris...I am saddened, but it is still unreal. I got rid of cable TV a few years ago, so now the horror doesn't drone in the background all the time...I have to make more of an effort to seek it out. The statistical reality is that we (Westernets, at least, but probably in most of the World) are living in the most secure, well fed time ever.

Sorry, back to hedge druid development!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 07 Jan 2015, 16:22

Hi druidinthemist,

I've been following this and your other thread with interest. As I recall, there have been other hereditry druids on this and other druid boards that I frequent so you'll be pleased to know that you're not the only one ! From my memory, the two that I know of can trace their lineage back as far as grandparents/great grandparents but that's about as far as it goes.

The path that we follow is indeed a tricky one at times and we seek to face challenges as they come about. As we travel along it, we observe others following their own paths (druidry or not) and I think that its important to honour and respect that everyone has their own path to take. Of course, this is mutual and we should be honoured and respected too. It is sometimes hard to explain to 'muggles' what we are and what we do and reactions can range from ridicule to hostility. These are part of the challenges that we face as druids. The dilemma occurs when we decide to tell them about it. I recently was 'defriended' on facebook by a fundie christian cousin of mine when she realised that I was a pagan and a druid to boot ! So opening a conversation with 'I'm a hereditry druid' may cause several reactions and its important to prepare for this...to tell or not to tell, that is the question !

As far as 'sheltering yourself away from the news' is concerned, its not all 'love and light' on the path. Part of the way forward deals with the acknowledgement of the shadow. Just like the Ying Yang we are made of light and dark and it is common to have many dark nights of the soul along the way. I couldn't envisage not watching the 'news'. Its important to know whats going on in the world. Part of the druid path encompasses our 'service'...to the planet, our deity/ies, our friends and family and to ourselves. How can we achieve this without a clue about the outside world?

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 07 Jan 2015, 16:46

thanks for your comments heddwen, i wish i could make contact with the other 'hereditary' druids. i am beyond caring what others think of me, and now several people in the community and neighbourhood know what i am. it is safer that way--as i have stated i have had negative contact with a few sinister people in my community. i also do some ritualistic prayer in my backyard and wanted to insure my neighbours on the other side of the high fence do not call the police thinking me mad.

as you kind of stated a druid's training, at least in my case, was the study of every possible field of knowledge known to man including psychology, poetry, world religions, politics, existentialism, shamanism and the very sketchy new-agey writings on druids. the only area i cannot grasp and probably never will is physics--can't wrap my mind around that one. this gives us the broadest perceptive abilities we can have--we truly Understand. this said i am frightened for the future of mankind. we are not in danger of a nuclear war, but we are suffering from a sickness of the mind. this is a tough topic so i will leave it alone for the time being.

why are we militarizing our police forces? Crowd control? i watched a riot on television and there was a policeman on the roof of an armoured car with a machine gun pointed at the crowd. was he intending to use it? why was he pointing it? countries are all running deficits. we do not have the tax base to repair our crumbling infrustructures. Detroit is almost a ghost-city now do to economics. there are far more people who have greater wealth than countries do. the gap between the haves and have nots is growing. a small percentage hold all the wealth. we are each of us a few pay cheques away from losing our homes and joining the homeless in soup kitchens. we may have more food than ever, but the prices of goods and services and taxes are far outstretching our yearly raises and we are growing poorer every year. no, i do not see a rosy future for us i am afraid. sorry for being such a negative nelly, but my eyes are wide open, not wide shut.

jim

Return to “Discuss Druidry”