I feel like a total idiot when it comes to rituals?

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Re: I feel like a total idiot when it comes to rituals?

Postby skepticskitchen » 13 Jul 2015, 10:40

Ooh I like the idea of google video hangouts. Some of my youtube subscriptions do that and they do it globally. A lot of the times, the hangouts are just posted in GMT and whatever local time the person is at they get it live at their local time. The GMT folks go a little bit later so the EST folk don't have to be up at midnight to watch the feed. I think there would have to be 2 separate feeds for the northern and southern hemispheres though but the folks down under could probably arrange their own feeds too with a little help from those of here in the north.

I think this would go a long way to help those of us feel awkward doing solo ceremonies.

OBOD already has a youtube channel which is all you need to do a group hangout since youtube is tied to google+ and it is through google+ that the hangouts are broadcast.
Yours in the Peace of the Grove,
/|\ Colley y Bara

Coillte

Postby Coillte » 15 Jul 2015, 14:13

Ritual appears in my mind as something I should be doing. I currently don't. But ritual herself has a ritualised manner of reminding and prodding me. She becomes so insistent that hours can pass imagining a ritual. Perhaps the imagining is a ritualisation, of sorts. I am afraid to perform rituals outside. Not fear in the sense of terror, just apprehensive, stunted, perhaps even embarrassed. I am not embarrassed to discuss my burgeoning paganism with the gentiles, nor am I embarrassed to discuss spirituality and our desperate need for it. When cycling through the wind, I tell my friends to remove their helmets and feel the Gods comb their hair. When I think of my fears around solitary outdoor rituals, I cannot help wonder whether I am afraid of being seen or of what I might see. I currently cannot stop myself from listening and re-listening to Levannah Morgan's talk on Druidcast (A Witch's Mirror).
"Glaine Ár gCroí, Neart Ár nGéag Is Beart Dá Réir Ár mBriathar"

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 17 Jul 2015, 04:52

Wow, I didn't realise that the post has developed so much... :o so many interesting ideas!!! I love the idea of a virtual hangout for rituals. If it could be done in the early afternoon in GMT it'd be evening in the east and morning in the west - so suitable for everyone :)

I did my second MA online and we used Ning I think for lessons - it was ok but not ideal.

I've seen Google Hangouts used for lectures as well and I think it's a great idea.

I've also seen many people using SKYPE as a live radio and I think it could be another possibility. Basically users would be added to the contact list and then listen, just like a normal radio.
Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see,
one chants out between two worlds - "Fire, walk with me".

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 20 Jul 2015, 09:26

I just want to chime in to say that I am very interested in the idea of using Google+ or Facebook or the DHP or something. I'm afraid I can't contribute very much with organizing it from the beginning, because of lack of knowledge about group rituals, but I would really like to help with that part after a while if we could get this thing going.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 29 Jul 2015, 15:14

I think the key thing will be agreeing a time that those who wish to join in can make, just as with any group.
I would probably suggest that it would need to be on a day that fits a majority; you can't please all the people all the time.
Then someone will need to lead a ritual.

The technology can then facilitate it...
For Google hangouts everyone will need a Google+ account then everyone will need to link up to join the conversation (as it's termed).
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

BirchWind
OBOD Bard

Postby BirchWind » 12 Feb 2016, 21:19

I was searching but could not find if something like my upcoming thought has already been posted, so posting it here as this was the thread that came up in search.
There are some great virtual worlds that allow people to choose avatars and be part of actual virtual groves. There is one such OBOD group in Second Life and I was thinking of starting a seed group in InWorldz which is the virtual world I spend most of my time (though also have a Second Life account) Standing in a landscaped area, hearing the birds and rushing water and seeing a visual representation of others from literally 'lands far away' can be quite an amazing experience :)

Return to “Discuss Druidry”