Choosing a Name

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
BirchWind
OBOD Bard

Choosing a Name

Postby BirchWind » 14 Feb 2016, 07:54

I know we don't have to take new names and such - but in my craft days I took on a name of something I wanted to live up to. In my day to day, my nickname is Birch. Likewise I have this 'thing' for the wind, the way it feels, the way it evokes a feeling of odd homesickness and longing.
birchwind doesnt really translate well and I was wondering how awful it would be to put words together like:
Beith Gaoth-Amhrán - for Birch Wind Song .
I was looking at common birds we share here in Canada and over in the lands of my families origins (mainly Donegal and Cornwall)
I really would like to use a name - for my own self, as a token of growth and aspiration. Not sure if that makes sense :D

BirchWind
OBOD Bard

Re: Choosing a Name

Postby BirchWind » 16 Feb 2016, 07:33

I wanted to edit the last post and add to it but can't so responding (not intending to 'bump') my own topic, but what I mean I guess is that I hope I am not using a language disrespectfully. If I were to use my various little nicknames/handles for myself Beith sa Gaoth (Birch in the Wind) - is that a flippant use of a language that is not my own?
Also, what do you think of taking on a name to mark a change of path or accomplishment?

Return to “Discuss Druidry”