The Druid's Prayer I: Start Here...

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
JamesNewell

Re: The Druid's Prayer I: Start Here...

Postby JamesNewell » 14 Feb 2014, 04:36

I'm not sure where I'm at at the moment. I can feel something spiritual from animals and tree, but also from something more extended.

I think there is an integration of all the consciousness in the universe, which has a radius of about 13,000 light year and encompasses a good several hundred billion galaxies. My thought is that if there were not an integration of the entire universe, then the universe would split at the discontinuities. Since space hasn't split, it should have a universal integration. However, that is so large that I don't know whether or not I have felt something that advanced.

Then, since earth is about 5 billion years old, and the universe about 13 billion or so, if we assume that it took a billion years to build up enough heavy elements to begin to produce planets, then the first planets should be about 12 billion years old, and subtracting 5 billion, the first civilizations in the universe should have begun about 7 billion years ago, and new ones added since. Then, there should have been spiritual people in each civilization, including spiritual people who were like Druids, but probably calling themselves something else in their languages.

Now some of those spiritual people should have advanced until they became gods and goddesses smaller than the universal integration of all mind in the universe.

I'm not sure, but I think that those may be the various gods and goddesses that people sometimes come into mind to mind contact with.

Therefore, I don't really know which higher beings I am feeling. Whichever they are, they are loving and moral.

Kaeriann

Postby Kaeriann » 25 Jan 2015, 14:08

Hello! I am a born-again-newcomer :grin:

I don't really know what to think of this prayer. I feel uncomfortable with the beginning and the ending. It looks like a cycle or endless circle, with seeking the protection of X and finally getting to love X. Maybe I am just reading things too literally. But I would tend to think that we already love X and we shouldn't need to ask for protection. I would prefer ask for the courage to seek and accept understanding, knowledge, justice and love of everything.

I also don't feel at ease with the monotheistic aspect of it.
There is a French version that begins with "Please give us, ô Deities, your protection" and finishes by "the love of gods and goddesses and the Unnameable". Maybe I am in a rejection phase (who knows :p) but my mind just can't bear with the Great One, especially if we call it God (which is gendered imo) or whatever.

However, in my mind, the Unnameable would be something that has no conscious, or something we can't define therefore I can't call it God or whatever. It would be something else, something different like a swimming pool in which we evolve. (we can call it the Universe, why not).

That being said, I find meaning in the rest of the prayer, (and it reminds me of Ender's Game, when Ender says that when he really knows and understand his enemies, he also loves them).

I do not mean to offend anyone, I hope I am not being awkward with my words. I am only looking for meaning and answers. Thanks!

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 25 Jan 2015, 16:23

English has a problem with gender-free personal pronouns. ‘It’ usually refers to inanimate objects and sits very awkwardly in conversation (call a baby ‘it’ and watch the mother’s face). So, apart from ‘Universe’, ‘Great Spirit’, ‘God’, other gender neutral nouns as titles might be ‘Friend’, ‘Almighty’ or appropriations from other languages or faiths. The Abrahamic faiths have hundreds of names connected with ungendered attributes as do the Eastern beliefs. Of course, the Pagan pantheons are full of names if you want to identify with particular qualities and energies.

If you are trying to free yourself from previous cultural baggage, as I had to, I found that ‘Origin’ and ‘Vastness’ fitted the mood when, during forest meditations, trying to lose self and merge with the ineffable.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Kaeriann

Postby Kaeriann » 25 Jan 2015, 17:34

Thank you.

French also has a problem... since every word is either feminine or masculine. Saying Dieu (or un dieu, like any dieu) would imply something masculine. Déesse would be the same for a goddess, something feminine. To me, to say "god" is like identifying that being as masculine. For a more generic term, I would prefer déité - deity for something of divine nature but not identified. To me, that Big Great Thing doesn't have to be sentient. It can be a big bowl of energy. In fact, I must confess that I don't like the idea of a supreme thinking being above other beings. I might be too atheistic for that. :-) I can have a lot of deities, spirits, that emerge here and there, but as I feel like the big bang (as we commonly know it) is not the origin of the universe but just a phase, I don't feel like there is a sentient being that would have created the rest. This is partly why I don't see myself asking the One for protection. To me, it would be like asking the water to protect me before diving.
I am not sure I am being very clear. It's hard to explain what I feel. I am in a phase where I am very confused. A lot happened to me the past four years and everything got blurry.

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 25 Jan 2015, 18:32

The lines,

“And in the love of it, the love of all existences,
And in the love of all existences,”

spoke to me.

And, perhaps for you, there is a vibe with the Ouroborus in your avatar.

I find that being in a place of uncertainty is a positive place to be when exploring the mysteries. It unlocks your spirit to whatever you find on the journey. Many of the Zen koans point out the absurdity of language, being totally inadequate for such great concepts. I guess that's why the paintbrush of poetry is so magickal, surgically applying hues both livid and subtle. Perhaps your recent deluge of experience has opened you up for some new great understanding. The ancient writings are full of great quests and adventures, aid and direction coming from the most unlikely sources. Many blessings for your voyage – and watch out for helpful otters.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Taliesin2
OBOD Bard

Postby Taliesin2 » 24 Aug 2015, 05:44

I like this topic. Its all very interesting the views, the opinions of every one involved. Iolo Morganwg has been called many things. But he is most remembered for the Druid's Prayer. But as much as we need to study and disseminate the prayer itself. We need to study Iolo Morganwg himself. I think we need to consider his mindset, his motivations for writing/creating the prayer. Just my opinion.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 24 Aug 2015, 11:53

I like this topic. Its all very interesting the views, the opinions of every one involved. Iolo Morganwg has been called many things. But he is most remembered for the Druid's Prayer. But as much as we need to study and disseminate the prayer itself. We need to study Iolo Morganwg himself. I think we need to consider his mindset, his motivations for writing/creating the prayer. Just my opinion.
A warm welcome to you, Taliesin2 :D

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 20:05

He may have "forged" much of the Barddas and borrowed a lot from freemasonry but I think he was inspired by the Awen through and through. He may have been channeling someones spare tire, but simply changling a perfect stranger. There's more to this than meets the eye. Morganwg is the father of the Druid revival, and he also got Welsh National Eisteddfod going again and it has happened every year since then.
He has made major contributions to Meso-Druidry as well as Neo-Druidry. Currently in the waiting room, I have decided that Iolo Morganwg was not a charlatan like Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon church. He was a genuine cymru-phile and did a lot to keep the language and customs from going extinct.
Yours in the Peace of the Grove,
/|\ Colley y Bara

Squirrel.Boughsong

Postby Squirrel.Boughsong » 03 Feb 2016, 22:32

Interesting, I have had many cycles of challenge with the prayer in the prison setting. Most inmates could become slightly irritated by omitting mention of their favored force or entity! I suggested that they might evaluate whether they were calling out in the prayer "as worship" or "in honor"? Most of our Meadow (our joke as we had no trees for a Grove) could see the prayer as an outline for honoring entities and energies. While I do not personally worship but intelligently give honor, I do see how others might feel disturbed if they view the prayer as worship when opening to an unaligned entity. Giving honor to an entity fells less contractually binding to those exposed and raised in "one dedicated God" faiths. You think the first line is tough, try getting inmates to give honor to Justice! :wow: I had to change it to "Right Justice" for the sake of the cringes when we were using it in ceremony. Flinching :yield: does so interrupt the flow of ceremony.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 04 Feb 2016, 13:36

Personally I tend to use "Grant O Nature thy protection" which has caught me out in group rituals :oops:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 15 Feb 2016, 10:12

I learn "Grant, oh God and Goddess, thy protection", which has a grammatical error. "Thy" was singular and "your" was plural before we dropped thou/thee/thy from normal conversation. I'm so used to saying "thy" that I keep it, and sometimes think of God and Goddess and God-and-Goddess (which irons out the grammatical error slightly, lol). Never had a significant reason to change my habit, so "God and Goddess" it is. :)

The first line as translated in my constructed language Gnoughish: Choonash, hoa Greolma ost Geelm, dant shulla

Return to “Discuss Druidry”