course online

Important board announcements, news of upcoming events of potential interest to our members, FAQs, and a place to ask for and receive technical help with board features.
Forum rules
Your guide to important information about this message board. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines. Hosts: Art, Selene
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
kresta
OBOD Bard

course online

Postby kresta » 24 Dec 2014, 10:49

Apologies if the info I require are posted somewhere else - I've been looking but I haven't found any details.

Greetings everyone.

I'm currently living in China and I travel for work. I feel the time the time has come for me to enrol in the course but having material mailed to me is, unfortunately, out of the question. I was trying to see if it was possible to pay and 'download' the course online but I can't find any other option than text / audio (CD). Does anyone know if it's possible to get the material online?

thanks

K.
Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see,
one chants out between two worlds - "Fire, walk with me".

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Re: course online

Postby Michael C. Page » 24 Dec 2014, 12:23

Hello Kresta :hiya:

I would contact the office on that: http://www.druidry.org/contact-us

The above link should get you to someone - You may have to wait a little bit for a response at this time of year, but they will get back to you. :D

Cheers,
Michael

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 24 Dec 2014, 14:09

Very kind, thanks
K.

Michael C. Page
OBOD Druid
Location: In my dreams I'm Crooning at the Burgh Island Hotel

Postby Michael C. Page » 24 Dec 2014, 14:33

You're welcome :D

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music he hears,
however measured or far away."
- Thoreau

My harp was sacrificed to the Honorable Snarg.

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 29 Jan 2015, 07:23

Sorry for not seeing this earlier, kresta. Unfortunately, the course does not exist in electronic format. It is available as printed booklets or audio CDs, but those are the only options and I do not expect to see that change anytime in the foreseeable future. The people who make the decisions about that sort of thing feel strongly that druidry is best experienced "unplugged"; we're encouraged to get out into nature and away from our screens, hence the emphasis on the written and spoken word.
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 29 Jan 2015, 09:09

I have the audioversion transfered to my iphone and use that when I'm on the road a lot too. But I guess you still need a homebase somewhere to get the cd's sent to. Maybe some kind of PO-box on a place you come regularly or a friend who then can put it on a cloudfile for you?
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 30 Jan 2015, 15:37

Thanks everyone.

I'm an ESL teacher and I tend to move - a lot.

I travel light and cannot carry too much stuff with me (books etc...). That's why something downloadable would have been better for me.
[There is no danger of me not getting the grips with reality when you live in the middle of nowhere, have no shower and have to pee in the fields!! Talk about going back to nature!! ahah :whistle: ]

Anyway, I've ordered the printed bardic course to have it delivered at school. I'll just have to carry the material with me when I leave and get rid of some clothes ahah :D

Alice

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 31 Jan 2015, 06:38

I'm glad you decided to join the course. It is really not that much written material in it. So I hope it will be ok for you to bring it with you. It is more experiential really, and that is what is important. You can also find a lot further reading for free on the internet. When you get the course and start doing exercises you will know what to search for.

Don't worry :)

corliss_

Postby corliss_ » 24 Feb 2015, 10:38

I'm currently living in China and I travel for work.
I'm an ESL teacher and I tend to move - a lot.
How funny that this is what I was coming to the forums for! I am having the same problem (ESL teacher, NE China), only I'm not worried about not having a permanent address (I'm here for two years), I'm more worried about the monthly packages being held up at the border with tax problems and whatnot. I was curious if they'd ever shipped to China and if there had been any problems.

I filled out the form on the Conact Us page, but I might shoot them an email, as I haven't heard anything and it's been about two weeks.

Keep me posted!

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 24 Feb 2015, 13:17

! I am having the same problem (ESL teacher, NE China)
Ah cool, where about? I'm down in Wenzhou, Zheijian. I came here in August, was supposed to stay for 18 months but it's a big mess at my school and I'm not sure I'll be staying! At the end I've decided to enrol anyway, I had been postponing this because of the constant what ifs but at the end I thought, I can't live my life constantly thinking about what might happen. So yeah, I enrolled. :D I'll deal with the problems once they come up...
I'm more worried about the monthly packages being held up at the border with tax problems and whatnot. I was curious if they'd ever shipped to China and if there had been any problems.
OK. My stuff was sent out on the 29th of January, I got it on the 21st of February. I ordered books from Amazon (no kindle version available...) and again it took around a month to get them delivered... It might have been because of the holidays (they might have had more stuff to deal with, but you never know..). I took the whole process as an opportunity to exercise patience...
I filled out the form on the Conact Us page, but I might shoot them an email, as I haven't heard anything and it's been about two weeks.
I wrote to Annie and she got back to me within days, maybe the contact form is not the most direct option? At any rate I can confirm there are no problems as such with the Order sending out stuff over here. The only issue I've had was submitting the payment, I had to go through it several times, but everyone was really nice bearing with me :)

Alice

Nodwink
OBOD Druid

Postby Nodwink » 05 Aug 2015, 17:41

Have you looked into a virtual mail service like Earth Class Mail? you can have your mail delivered to them and they scan everything and email it to you in pdf format. it's mainly used for people who travel a lot. Not an inexpensive route, but might do the trick.
Image ImageImage

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 06 Aug 2015, 03:08

well, it's expensive enough as it is!! I had to put everything on hold at any rate as I was not getting the material.

The audio version wouldn't be difficult to put online, you'd just download the MP3! :whistle:

Gwion

Postby Gwion » 06 Aug 2015, 09:53

… a friend who then can put it on a cloudfile for you?

I would have thought that ordering the CD version and getting it sent to a friend who would put it on something like Google’s Onedrive for you (or just email you the file) each month would be the simplest solution to your dilemma.

I see from your website that you’ve led a life of travel so perhaps there isn’t anyone you know well enough who shares your interest in druidry. Perhaps you could ask for a tutor and see if they’d do it?
"Had I lived I might have been clever" - from the traditional ballad "The Bonny Bunch of Roses"
Some songs https://soundcloud.com/gwionssongs https://soundcloud.com/sthomason-1
Some Pictures http://gwion01.deviantart.com/

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 06 Aug 2015, 10:44

Yeah, it's as you say, I mean, I know many people but.. I have no friends :-)

I guess that's just the way things go, I made certain choices in life and this is one of the many consequences... I spoke to my tutor about it - I've asked several times to have stuff online but I don't want to ask anymore. I do understand (though not necessarily agree with) the reasons why, so no point in pushing it further. :tiphat:
alice

Gwion

Postby Gwion » 06 Aug 2015, 11:32

I’d offer myself if I were taking the course but I haven’t got round to finding/justifying the funding yet and it wouldn’t be right for me to have access to the material without actually committing to the course. I’ll keep you in mind when (if?) I do get the funds together though.

Whilst I can understand that OBOD don’t want to put the course itself on line, I can’t myself see why anyone should have any objection to privately transmitting material between consenting, "paid up" members. (Perhaps someone else reading this and taking the course feels the same way.)

(Moderators - If I'm being too subversive please feel free to delete this post - I've no wish to offend.)
"Had I lived I might have been clever" - from the traditional ballad "The Bonny Bunch of Roses"
Some songs https://soundcloud.com/gwionssongs https://soundcloud.com/sthomason-1
Some Pictures http://gwion01.deviantart.com/

kresta
OBOD Bard

Postby kresta » 06 Aug 2015, 12:34

Thanks for your offer - I'm sure everything will happen in due course.... :wink:
alice

Return to “The Field Guide”