A Samhain Wedding

In the Druid tradition, each of the great “rites of passage” is marked in the calendar by one of the fire-festivals: death, or Parting, is marked by Samhuinn, 31 October to 2 November, when the old Celtic year ends and there are three days of No-Time before the new year begins. Birth, and consequently Naming, is marked by Imbolc on 1/2 February—the time when the snowdrops appear and we can sense the first stirrings of spring. Mating, the Great Rite of making love, is marked by Bealteinne on 1 May, when the forces of spring are in full flood. Marriage, the formal recognition of having found a long term partner after the explorations of the spring time of one's life, is marked by Lughnasadh on 1 August. This forum is for discussing the ceremonies and customs associated with each festival and for all of the rites of passage in our lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
monahawk
OBOD Ovate

A Samhain Wedding

Postby monahawk » 05 Aug 2012, 23:21

Greetings to all. I've been a member of OBOD for about 18 years and am an Ovate. My fiance' and I are getting married on 10/31/12 and I'm wondering if anyone would like to share ideas for a wedding on Samhain. This will be a garden wedding with only about 6-8 close friends and we will be acting as our own officiants since you can do that in Colorado and file the marriage with the signature of a 'witness'. So we will be writing our vows and conducting most of our own wedding/handfasting. It might snow or rain so we can move the party inside if necessary. Anyway, I am excited to hear if anyone knows of any unique / meaningful / soulful traditions and practices that we might incorporate into the celebration of our lives becoming one...oh, and we are both 61 so 'first wedding' concerns aren't important, like the giving away of the bride; actually I will have a spirit friend/goddess type walking with me to the altar to offer me to the union on behalf of the divine feminine... Thanks in advance... Mona Leigh McCrea /|\

ideagirl
OBOD Bard

Re: A Samhain Wedding

Postby ideagirl » 01 Sep 2012, 21:21

Some consider Samhain to have been in effect the Celtic New Year's Eve, since just as they counted days as beginning with nightfall (i.e., days ended at sunset, therefore nightfall was the beginning of the NEXT day), apparently they counted years as beginning with the beginning of the darkest quarter of the year, i.e., Samhain. Marriage marking the very beginning of the new year is a lovely symbol.

That also resonates with me in part because (I'm sorry if this comes across wrong) you two are much older than the typical pair of newlyweds, and while you might "seem old" compared with them, just as the year seems dark and cold at Samhain, this is actually the beginning of your new life together, your "new years" together as it were.

I'm not sure how to incorporate those concepts into the ceremony, but with a bit of reflection I'm sure you could come up with something quite moving, since they are lovely concepts. Another theme that might work for you is to celebrate what you're both bringing to this wedding: the full harvest of your 61 years, everything you've done and built and grown. Samhain is between two traditional harvest festivals (autumn equinox and American Thanksgiving), and to me there is always a Thanksgiving feel to traditional fall food--pumpkin pies and such. Maybe you could incorporate that sense of thanksgiving, harvest, bringing the whole wealth of your years together in this marriage.

monahawk
OBOD Ovate

Postby monahawk » 08 Oct 2012, 04:31

Dear Ideagirl Thank you so much for your wonderful ideas and thoughts. As this funny ol' world would have it things changed rather quickly and we married on the Autumnal Equinox...and our ceremony was interrupted, so most of our plans got cast aside. But we did marry and worked out the most important things to us for the short time that we had for the ceremony. Life happens... Thanks again for your kind and wise response...

/|\

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 08 Oct 2012, 16:52

Your ceremony was interrupted? I'm too curious, and have to ask....what happened? (If you're willing to share.)

monahawk
OBOD Ovate

Postby monahawk » 08 Oct 2012, 22:18

Well, it is a long story but a close friend who is terminal with bone cancer was picked up by the police for driving impaired. There were only two people that the police would release our friend to and the other one was out of state, so my new hubby was the only one who could sign for our friend's release to keep him out of jail so that he could continue to get his medicine, including chemotherapy. So we abbreviated the ceremony to just the essentials and then my husband went to the jail, signed for our friend and everyone made it to the 'after party / reception' including our friend who almost went to jail. Ya can't make this stuff up folks. :-)

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 10 Oct 2012, 18:05

Oh wow! What a day! At least the day had a happy ending!

sabahat

Postby sabahat » 10 Nov 2014, 11:10

Wow, lots of great info in there. Thanks for taking your time to do that.

monahawk
OBOD Ovate

Postby monahawk » 10 Nov 2014, 19:07

As it turns out we did not marry on Samhain but on the autumnal equinox. Unfortunately, this is the shortest marriage I've ever had. Long story, probably boring to most, including me. I left my 'new home' on 12/28/2012 and arrived back in Oregon on 12/31/2012. It took quite a while to get past it emotionally. Thanks to everyone who offered ideas and advice. I don't think I'll be getting married again in this life but at the very least the last one had some very good lessons for me even though many were quite painful. :boggle:
/|\

Return to “Rites of Passage”