Anybody have anything on a rite of passage for retirement?

In the Druid tradition, each of the great “rites of passage” is marked in the calendar by one of the fire-festivals: death, or Parting, is marked by Samhuinn, 31 October to 2 November, when the old Celtic year ends and there are three days of No-Time before the new year begins. Birth, and consequently Naming, is marked by Imbolc on 1/2 February—the time when the snowdrops appear and we can sense the first stirrings of spring. Mating, the Great Rite of making love, is marked by Bealteinne on 1 May, when the forces of spring are in full flood. Marriage, the formal recognition of having found a long term partner after the explorations of the spring time of one's life, is marked by Lughnasadh on 1 August. This forum is for discussing the ceremonies and customs associated with each festival and for all of the rites of passage in our lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Anybody have anything on a rite of passage for retirement?

Postby RidgeDruid » 01 Oct 2012, 01:18

My tutor suggested this might be useful for me to help me "change worlds" I retired on on Aug 1 from many years of government service. Thanks!
Formerly known as A.O. MacLyr

Image Image

RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Re: Anybody have anything on a rite of passage for retiremen

Postby RidgeDruid » 23 Oct 2012, 16:52

I ended up doing the the Elder rite (which I wrote) at an Asatru Winternights Gathering that I go to every year. I attend as a respectful seeker ( or pet Druid :) ) and they are very accomodating to me. I rounded up some the elders there who I knew, and others who were suitably grey haired, about 6 in all including my wife.

The ritual was very powerful for me and worked as I had hoped. I ended up speaking of things very much from the heart, and the following morning, at a dawn campfire, on of the other elders gave me a Tyr rune that he had made, which was very powerful for me.

here's the rite for anyone who use or modify: It is intentionally very generic because of the setting where it took place

RITE OF THE CIRCLE OF ELDERS

1. A group of Elders is convened at a suitable place. The members can be people who have gone through a formal Croning or Saging ritual, or people who by virtue of their age, experience and wisdom are recognized as Elders within their community. It is suggested that elders be a least 50 years of age.

The person seeking to be recognized shall wait outside the circle until summoned.

2. Ritual. The Ritual is led by an elder familiar with ritual work (Elder 1).

Elder 1. We are gathered together here today/tonight because there is one who seeks to join the Circle of Elders, as Crone/Sage/ Wise Person.

I would ask each one of you to take a few deep breaths and ground themselves so we may create an appropriate space for this work. Each Elder here follows a different path and seeks wisdom from different Gods, Goddesses, Spirits and Ancestors.

I would ask that each of you take a minute to seek blessings upon this Circle of Elders according to your own path.

(When this work is completed and Elder 1 is satisfied that a sacred space has been created, the Seeker is brought to the East side of the circle by Elder 2.)

Elder 1. Who comes to the circle of Elders and what does he/she seek.

Elder 2. (Name of Seeker) comes to the Circle of Elders and seeks to become one with the Circle.

Elder 1. Bid him/her welcome and bring them forward.

(The Seeker enters the circle and faces East.)

Elder 1. We welcome you Seeker, but must know more of your life before we can be sure you are ready to join this Circle. Are you prepared to tell us briefly of your life?

Seeker. I am prepared.

Elder 1. Face then the East and tell us of your life and deeds as a child.

Seeker. (Tells briefly of his/her life as a child.)

Elder 2. Face then the South and tell us of your life and deeds as a young man/woman.

Seeker. (Tells briefly of his life as a young man/woman.)

Elder 3. Face then the West and tell us of your life and deeds as a grown man/woman.

Seeker. (Tells briefly of his life and deeds as a grown man/woman.)

Elder 1. It is well and good we have learned of your life before. Know now that your youth has passed, as have your years as both a young and grown man/woman.

Before we continue we must be certain that you have known certain things

Elder 2. Have you ever held a crying child to comfort it?

Seeker. (Responds.)

Elder 3. Have you ever struggled and prevailed over something that you thought was impossible.

Seeker. (Responds)

Elder 4. Have you ever served just causes for the benefit of your fellow men and women.

Seeker. (Responds)

Elder 1. It is good to know you have experienced these things.

The time now approaches to face the North. It is fitting that you do so now as Samhain approaches and the time death, of letting go, and pruning is upon us. To face the North is to face the Shimmering Gate through which we all shall pass. Are you ready to face the North and the shimmering Gate?

Seeker. (Responds)

Elder 1. Face then the North and answer but a few more of our questions.

Seeker. (Faces north.)

Elder 2. Have you seen the face of death?

Seeker. (Responds.)

Elder 3. From what God or Goddesses do you seek blessings for this, the last part of your life?

Seeker: (Responds.)

Elder 4. What oath would you make to them?

Seeker. (Responds)

Elder 1. With the Blessing of this Circle of Elders I welcome you. Know that you have walked the long path and you are ready to join the Elders.

Please accept this token to remember the long path and your entry into the Circle of Elders.

Please meet the other members of the Circle and take your place in the Circle

Elder 1. I thank you all for attending here. I would ask each of you to take a moment to ask your God, Goddesses, Spirits and Ancestors to give their blessings to the work that has been done here.

Our work is now finished until another seeks to join us. I hereby declare this Rite of the Circle of Elders closed in the Apparent World. May its inspiration continue within our hearts and beings.
Formerly known as A.O. MacLyr

Image Image

wwqmicky

Postby wwqmicky » 12 May 2015, 07:05

reach the next step with a little more joy, or at least less trepidation, in their hearts. If the person is close to death, but not yet stepping over the threshold, then this kind of help can sometimes give them something to live for, knowing yourself ggives you a weapon and potentially a strategy to use in winning a battle against illness.

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 13 May 2015, 03:16

Excellent :) retirement is the beginning a time to start new pursuits unhindered by those messy things called jobs ;) I hope your pursuits are fruitful :D
May the peace of the season find you,
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

Return to “Rites of Passage”