Dyeing wool

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
Reuils
OBOD Bard

Dyeing wool

Postby Reuils » 19 Jan 2015, 11:54

I'm just about to start a new round of wool dyeing. Our spinning guild is having an art/fantasy yarn session in April and I want to prepare .I've become really enthusiastic about some of the art yarn weaving I've seen on Ravelry (an online group for fibre nuts! )and can't wait to try

Anybody else got new season plans ?

HollyG

Re: Dyeing wool

Postby HollyG » 02 Mar 2015, 03:23

I'm hoping to learn to spin. I picked up a wheel last summer and have been (not with much earnest) looking for a teacher.

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 04 Mar 2015, 15:20

Where are you ?
Some parts of the World you can be knee deep in spinners ,(US,UK,Australia,NZ) other areas like here in France they're a rare breed !

HollyG

Postby HollyG » 02 Oct 2016, 17:29

Wow - I'm so sorry I never answered your question.....I've been off the forum for a long while and just picked it up this morning.

I'm from a little town in Oregon, just south of Portland, OR. We have lots of spinners here too. I think I'll give it a go this afternoon.

flannelberry
OBOD Bard

Postby flannelberry » 19 Oct 2017, 02:11

Sorry to be so late to the party but just in case anyone is wondering the same thing...

I'm a textile artist of the extreme sort - my living room is dominated by my floor loom and wheel. I also love to research and share info (I have been told that enabling is my superpower).

For people interested in learning to spin, the Joy of Handspinning is a truly amazing resource.

As for natural dyes, that can be a tricky thing but Kathy Hattori, of Botanical Colors, sells high quality, sustainable, often organic dye products. I know lots of people starting naturally dyeing and want to use the items close to home. I would say go for it but know that most things (even things that give a gorgeous stain) end up being a muddy khaki. If you start with "known" products, you can learn the tricks (like pH) which will make branching out less frustrating.

Colleen/flannelberry

Return to “Arts and Crafts”