What crafts do you do? What would you like to learn?

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
StellaStar
OBOD Ovate

Re: What crafts do you do? What would you like to learn?

Postby StellaStar » 12 Jul 2015, 14:40

I've been sewing since I was a young girl. My current passion is quilt making but still make clothes and home dec occasionally. I have a computerized, home sewing machine and can do machine embroidery.

I also love hand work: hand quilting, embroidery and crochet. While I don't need another craft, I would like to learn basketry.
Altar Cloth.jpeg
Altar Cloth.jpeg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 2838 times

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 12 Jul 2015, 18:12

I do baking (and bake all the bread I eat).
Cooking (particularly fancying historical recipes).
Gardening and landscape art.
Herbal and Natural Remedies and Folk Medicines (including a scientifically proven flu remedy and a great anti-itch cream).
I write Gregorian Chants and illuminate them. (Currently working on Welsh language wheel of the year rituals both solo and group).
Bonsai (I have a small bonsai garden in my chapel consisting of a dwarf Pomegranate and Oak which represents Earth in my sacred circle).

I would like to learn how to grow bonsai from seed.
I would also like to learn some advanced sewing techniques. (I quilt, but that's it).
I would like to learn the 5 French mother sauces by heart. (I can make them but currently have to follow recipes).
Yours in the Peace of the Grove,
/|\ Colley y Bara

SerenaG
OBOD Bard

Postby SerenaG » 09 Sep 2015, 04:46

I love all things crafty and have tried many. I just love to create something from scratch. I paint, mainly oils but I also dabble in watercolour, pastels, ink, pencil etc. Currently I seem to spend most of my time doing patchwork and quilting, both traditional and art quilts. I do clothes and soft furnishing sewing as well as baking and making preserves occasionally. I enjoy renovating my home and coming up with crazy ideas that take several years of persistent pleading before my husband finally agrees to go along with. I would like to learn metalwork and woodwork, mainly for large decorative items for my home and garden - carved doors, ornate ballustrades, garden sculptures and follies etc. My husband is a little reluctant about me doing heavier crafts as I have had some injuries in the past that are sometimes aggravated by certain tasks, but I have these yearnings that won't go away so I may have to just try and see. I am also drawn to try calligraphy again. I have dabbled a little doing wedding invitations and place cards for my siblings weddings but I would like to try some of the really ornate calligraphy styles that stand alone as art. I also used to write a lot and would like to get back into that.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 09 Sep 2015, 10:15

I love all things crafty and have tried many. I just love to create something from scratch. I paint, mainly oils but I also dabble in watercolour, pastels, ink, pencil etc. Currently I seem to spend most of my time doing patchwork and quilting, both traditional and art quilts. I do clothes and soft furnishing sewing as well as baking and making preserves occasionally. I enjoy renovating my home and coming up with crazy ideas that take several years of persistent pleading before my husband finally agrees to go along with. I would like to learn metalwork and woodwork, mainly for large decorative items for my home and garden - carved doors, ornate ballustrades, garden sculptures and follies etc. My husband is a little reluctant about me doing heavier crafts as I have had some injuries in the past that are sometimes aggravated by certain tasks, but I have these yearnings that won't go away so I may have to just try and see. I am also drawn to try calligraphy again. I have dabbled a little doing wedding invitations and place cards for my siblings weddings but I would like to try some of the really ornate calligraphy styles that stand alone as art. I also used to write a lot and would like to get back into that.

welcome to the board SerenaG :shake:

LoonyLuna
OBOD Ovate

Postby LoonyLuna » 09 Sep 2015, 11:12

I've done:
Willow weaving (A couple of years ago I made a few pots, a large flower and a large dragonfly, haven't done much since),
Knitting (My nan taught me as a child, and I dip in and out of it over the years)
Crochet (can't make more than a small chain before getting totally muddled, so gave up)
Peg loom weaving (Started this year, I made a bag and a cushion so far, need more wool/fabric)
Basic weaving (I can weave using hand sticks, a lucet and have used a basic loom)
Drawing/sketching (Tried a beginners course last year as I hadn't picked up a pencil since school, and I try and draw as time allows)
Handspinning (Brought a spindle a few months ago, need a little help with this as taught myself using youtube videos)
Baking (I can make yummy cupcakes but haven't done so in years)
Basic sewing (I mean very basic like patching holes and sewing buttons etc, all learnt in Home Ec classes at school)
Candle making (Started this year as well, have made votive and tea-light candles so far)
Herbalism (Did a short course years ago, haven't done anything since)
Soap making (Melt and pour kit, wasn't very inspiring)

Would like to learn:
Spinning using a wheel (Hoping to find a local group where I can try before buying my own wheel)
Making things with polymer clay (My youngest son wants to have a go at this as well)
Improving my drawing skills (currently doing a distance learning course on drawing and painting basics to work off the rust)
Work on my weaving skills (I have my eye on a rigid heddle loom)
Improve my knowledge of herbs (Though don't have the means to actually grow my own, our allotment pitch is awful as hardly anything will grow :( )

If money and time weren't an issue, I've always wanted to learn about flower remedies and train as an aromatherapist and/or a medical herbalist.
ImageImage

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 11 Sep 2015, 09:46

Hello,
Yarnmaker ,the UK spinning magazine lists the local guilds.If you want to send me a PM telling me your area I could send you the contct détails.They could help you with spinning and weaving

For herbs try David Hoffmann's Holistic Herbal,if it's medicinal herbs that interest you.If it's culinary herbs, there are masses of books available.

Reuils

LoonyLuna
OBOD Ovate

Postby LoonyLuna » 11 Sep 2015, 18:10

Thanks Reuils :) I'd recently ordered a copy of Yarnmaker and it was sitting on my rather large "to read" pile, so I whipped it out and had a look. My closest groups only run on Saturdays, which is a shame as I'm busy ferrying my youngest son around to his dance classes that day :( I did spot an online Guild, I might check that out. Though I would prefer an in person group, but I guess that will have to wait for now.

I'll look the herb book up, thanks for recommending it :)

:D :D
ImageImage

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 12 Sep 2015, 07:47

I would like to learn how to draw and also watercolour painting.
Try to live each day as if it were your last

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 12 Sep 2015, 10:12

Loony Luna,It may be worth contacting your local guild to see if someone could meet up with you on a day other than Saturday,spinners are usually keen to attract "converts" :)

Anyway hope you have fun ! :yay:

LoonyLuna
OBOD Ovate

Postby LoonyLuna » 12 Sep 2015, 19:00

Loony Luna,It may be worth contacting your local guild to see if someone could meet up with you on a day other than Saturday,spinners are usually keen to attract "converts" :)

Anyway hope you have fun ! :yay:
Good idea, never thought of that!

:yay: :yay:
ImageImage

Thecornflake

Postby Thecornflake » 27 Sep 2015, 22:26

I have started wood carving/whittling recently and find it very therapeutic. I've also done a little wire jewellery and also made a wire tree of life ornament.

I've kept bonsai before, and have a 7 year old giant sequoia that I grew from a seed (an achievement in the uk) which will be a bonsai in the next year or two.

I just made my first incese blend from resins and herbs which worked well. I'd like to do more of that and general herbalism.

I also do film photography and develop my own film.

I'd love to learn proper calligraphy and improve my wood carving skills. I work in I.T. so to then switch to something non-technological and linked to nature is a lovely way to relax and feel that I'm connecting with my Druid side.

Sparrow12

Postby Sparrow12 » 15 May 2016, 14:40

My art is knitting and crochet, I love tapestry Crochet, especially South American bags, crocheted Mandalas, prayer shawls, I am making one as a Bardish cloak. I also love creative writing, gardening, poetry and I am about to make a wand out of wood, copper wire and quartz, with permission from the trees of course. My choice of wood is Ash and Hazel wood. Debs

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 15 May 2016, 15:02

My art is knitting and crochet, I love tapestry Crochet, especially South American bags, crocheted Mandalas, prayer shawls, I am making one as a Bardish cloak. I also love creative writing, gardening, poetry and I am about to make a wand out of wood, copper wire and quartz, with permission from the trees of course. My choice of wood is Ash and Hazel wood. Debs
Hi Debs, first of all a warm welcome to you :shake: nice to meet you.

Secondly, you are certainly multi talented, how about some pics of your wand when you've finished it?

Cheers, Heddwen. :tiphat:

Sparrow12

Postby Sparrow12 » 19 May 2016, 17:09

Hi I was just about to post a pic, but my battery pack in my camera has just given up, so I shall recharge and take a photo of two wands, one which shall be sent wrapped to my Mum who lives in West Sussex and she needs some support in her seventies. I did offer to get her a staff, but she says she has a shepherds crook, which helps her to get around. I love being a Bard and want to go on and be an ovate, I am also studying further with the British Druid Order. Pax et Bonum (Peace and goodness) or Blessed be Debs

Sparrow12

Postby Sparrow12 » 21 May 2016, 08:36

[/url]][[attachment=1]IMG_2137 (640x480) (2).jpg[/attachment]

Dear Everyone,

I am trying to resize my photos of wands and I have managed to reduce them in size a little, these are made of Hazel and Ash wood, copper wire and quartz, taken from local wood, with their blessings. There are plenty of Ash groves in Leicestershire, UK, unfortunately these trees become diseased with Ash die back. I have my favorite spot in Castle Park, near Beaumont Leys. Debs
Attachments
IMG_2137 (640x480) (2).jpg
IMG_2137 (640x480) (2).jpg (218.1 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMG_2137 (640x480) (2).jpg
IMG_2137 (640x480) (2).jpg (218.1 KiB) Viewed 2175 times

AutumnBeech

Postby AutumnBeech » 27 May 2016, 23:12

Hello All!

Many of you are impressively diversified! I garden, knit and spin but have been known to compose haiku (of dubious quality) when the mood strikes. I used to sew a lot but knitting has more or less taken over. My goal is to continue to improve my knitting and spinning skills. And maybe to write better haiku, too. :wink:

Sparrow12

Postby Sparrow12 » 28 May 2016, 07:42

:) Lovely to meet you autumn beech, there's also a Druid group on 'Ravelry' too, of which I am a member.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 28 May 2016, 07:55

Hello All!

Many of you are impressively diversified! I garden, knit and spin but have been known to compose haiku (of dubious quality) when the mood strikes. I used to sew a lot but knitting has more or less taken over. My goal is to continue to improve my knitting and spinning skills. And maybe to write better haiku, too. :wink:
Hello Autumn Beech,

Welcome here :shake: and thank you for sharing your skills with us :D

Looking forward to reading the haiku!

Heddwen. :)

Sparrow12

Postby Sparrow12 » 30 May 2016, 20:52

I am going to make a Bardic rattle stick with multi colored Christmas bells, ribbons, thread and beg a branch from the Ash tree, as Ash was also sacred to Druids. There's a rhyme I know and learnt about the English summer weather in the UK. 'If the Oak is out before the Ash, we will have a splash,' meaning a dry summer but if the 'Ash is out before the Oak' we will have a soak', so on my daily walk to work to school, through the park I was staring hard to see which leaves where coming first, during the last week of April and early May, guess what it's raining tomorrow in the East Midlands and we are going to have a soak, still going to walk in Bradgate Park though with my sister, nephew and their dog, Rocket. Debs :o

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 30 May 2016, 21:08

The oak was out before the ash up here in East Yorkshire. Hope that means only a splash this summer as it seems to have been raining continuously since last summer!
Like your idea of a rattle stick Debs, I might try that myself. :) Linda.x

Return to “Arts and Crafts”