What crafts do you do? What would you like to learn?

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
annnoble

Re: What crafts do you do? What would you like to learn?

Postby annnoble » 26 Sep 2012, 21:34

Hi I love to create things.

My main passion is glass fusing, it's like making toasted sandwiches but with glass. The depth of colour you can achieve is soo cool.
Here's one I made earlier...
f23793608.png
f23793608.png (21.51 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
I also do...
Sculpture
Crochet
paper crafts
anything crafty with children

Blyth
OBOD Ovate

Postby Blyth » 27 Sep 2012, 19:39

It is so beautiful, annnoble - amazing colours :)
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
— Mahatma Gandhi

WhiteCrow
OBOD Bard

Postby WhiteCrow » 28 Sep 2012, 12:25

I taught myself to tat earlier this year and am starting to sell the results. Haven't done any doilies! Just jewellery. Got some local craft fairs coming up.

I would love to learn to crochet, knit, use a spinning wheel, carve wood, the list is endless lol!

Eldresh

Postby Eldresh » 29 Sep 2012, 03:21

I draw and paint (digitally as well), bake/cook, and sing.

I've been wanting to learn whittling, sewing, metalworking (small stuff), and leatherworking.
Oh I was born of mortal flesh, as human as you be,
'til from my horse one day I fell and the fairy queen caught me.
Pleasant is the fairy land, but an eerie tale to tell.
For at the end of seven years they pay a tithe to hell.

-The Ballad of Tam Lin

minerva5
OBOD Druid

Postby minerva5 » 14 Nov 2012, 01:21

As an ex-beekeper (I got children instead) I like making beeswax candles. Initially I used unwired foundation left over from the time when I made up my own frames, but I have discovered that Paynes of Sussex and other beekeeping equipment suppliers sell coloured sheets of foundation- that's the pressed hexagonal pattern sheets of beeswax - also they sell the stringy bits that go in the middle which you light.
You can either simply roll the wax round the string, cut out and mould shapes togther to make things like waterlily candles,or melt the wax and pour it into moulds. It's not necessarily cheaper than buying ready mades but you can tailor your candles to match your ceremomies and I find it more effective.I always use plain beeswax candles in the North of my altar. :)

nia-ceridwyn
OBOD Bard

Postby nia-ceridwyn » 27 Nov 2012, 16:07

Blessings!

My crafting runs to traditional hearth and homekeeping: I love to cook and bake, and I also am an avid knitter, crocheter, and spinner, as well as developing a liking for sewing and embroidery.
Nia Ceridwyn

"it is within our power
to observe the magic of this world
to witness it with all our senses
we need only kindle the fires within us
and become conscious
of the sacred and magical world"

My Poetry
My Spiritual Musings

LunarLiz

Postby LunarLiz » 30 Dec 2012, 13:45

I do lots of arts and crafts including sewing, caligraphy, macrame, knitting, crochet, collage, beading, embroidery, digital photography, sketching, painting, printing, mosaics, etc

Edited to add I'm just starting to learn how to make "GreenMan" masks, using plaster of paris strips to take a cast of the face of the wearer, painting it with solvent free metalic green paint, and decorating it with silk flowers and leaves. I hope to create a set for the seasons and maybe one or two "specials" to mark the Sabbats. :)

I want to learn how to make candles, and stained glass windows.
Blessed is my lady, Elen of the Ways
She is the one who knows the Leys

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Postby Silverleaf_Willow » 30 Dec 2012, 17:25

Sounds awesome LunarLiz, any chance of seeing a picture of your masks?
-silverleaf willow-

ImageImage

LunarLiz

Postby LunarLiz » 01 Jan 2013, 12:31

I'll try, when I get to grips with how to, I'm new here and a bit of a techno-phobe, so posting pictures might be a bit of a steep learning curve.

Bare with me while I find out and I'll get back to you. :-(
Blessed is my lady, Elen of the Ways
She is the one who knows the Leys

minerva5
OBOD Druid

Postby minerva5 » 02 Jan 2013, 15:45

Hi, Lunarliz, if you want to learn how to make stained glass, look at your local evening class schedule provided by the county or possibly the WEA. I'm not familiar with the setup in Pembrokeshire, but a few years ago, Buckinghamshire where I live hired tutors to teach craft classes in the afternoons and evenings and I went to an excellent set of classes held once a week for a term in my local Secondary school. We made several pieces and got lots of advice. The charges were reasonable but I don't know if the cutbacks still make this possible! Good luck.Min.

Speider

Postby Speider » 20 Jan 2013, 23:11

I do: encaustic art, wire and bead animals, mosaics, drawing/painting, macrame, brass rubbing, photography, glass painting, and I recently took up calligraphy (though I'm not doing entirely brilliant with the italic hand - I suspect it's too 'perfect' for me, given how slapdash my handwriting is normally! I want to do some of the more manuscript style gothic hands)

I want to learn: papercutting, woodcarving, and probably some other crafts I can't think of right now! :shrug:

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 20 Jan 2013, 23:51

I'd like to learn to crochet. I have some projects that would looks great with some crocheted pieces. I figured my mom would be willing to throw me a few, but she's too busy currently. I'd like to learn to do so myself, but I've no idea where to start...

nia-ceridwyn
OBOD Bard

Postby nia-ceridwyn » 21 Jan 2013, 02:32

I'd like to learn to crochet. I have some projects that would looks great with some crocheted pieces. I figured my mom would be willing to throw me a few, but she's too busy currently. I'd like to learn to do so myself, but I've no idea where to start...
As a crocheter and knitter, I suggest looking around for a local knitting/crocheting group or guild and seeing if they'd help you learn. Most are really open to newcomers, and more than happy to pass the craft along.
Nia Ceridwyn

"it is within our power
to observe the magic of this world
to witness it with all our senses
we need only kindle the fires within us
and become conscious
of the sacred and magical world"

My Poetry
My Spiritual Musings

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 21 Jan 2013, 03:37

As a crocheter and knitter, I suggest looking around for a local knitting/crocheting group or guild and seeing if they'd help you learn. Most are really open to newcomers, and more than happy to pass the craft along.
Thanks for the advice!

clyffmydylltyn
OBOD Bard

Postby clyffmydylltyn » 21 Jan 2013, 14:36

I would like to try Whittling and have ordered a book and penknife. Used to do it as a kid and loved it.

The book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book-Whi ... 272&sr=8-1

The knife:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... 00_s00_i00

Would love to hear from anyone who works with wood in a non-destructive way (i.e. not chopping trees down). I am lucky enough to have a small wood nearby, where I live, and hope to pick fallen branches from the ground, there.

six0clocktea

Postby six0clocktea » 21 Jan 2013, 22:54

HMM ....

Well I make:

Ogham Sticks
wands
runestone making
Sculptures and other ceramics
magick oils and incenses
sewn dolls (poppets and artistic dolls)
sewn and knit hats (particularly sewn jester and knit animal hats)
lots of beadwork (all manner of rave kandi mostly but i do enjoy a nice wood-bead cuff or gemstone amulet)
painting (pictures and decorating boxes and such)
witchcraft (in all aspects i was brought up in it)
bardcraft (i regularly write poetry, and i know 7 instruments: Alto Recorder, Melodeon (Accordion), Bongo, Gypsy Drum, Didgeridoo, Jews harp, violin (but that was long ago))
some pyrography when i decorate my oghams and wands and wood amulets

What I would love to learn:
I find myself in search of knowledge in crafts allllll the time its a great hobby making magickal crafts and just practical crafts.

How to make any and all kinds of instruments!!!!!!
rockwork (like actually inscribing into rocks for a nice standing stone in the backyard or ornate runestones. I own a chisel but only use it for custom flash drives that need a little remodeling.)
woodwork (like animal figurines and maybe marionettes. Im sure theres techniques unique to woodwork.)
clockwork (i would love to make little clockwork toys maybe even a clock or homonculus)
robotics (always loved making little robots out of toy mechanisms and such but i don't know alot about robots.)
electronics (i love the basics of hardware components but not alot about other electronics and mods.)
bookbinding. (Ive made some small little paper things wrapped with cardboard lol when i wanted a journal. But how to bind a real book would be cool.)

Im especially interested in instruments. If any of the things mentioned i don't know that you know i would love a pm or email or any communication about it! and if you wanna know anything i know i would love to help you get started!

-six0clocktea :hiya:

clyffmydylltyn
OBOD Bard

Postby clyffmydylltyn » 22 Jan 2013, 07:32

Very talented indeed, six0clock tea. When have you had the time to learn this stuff?
And it makes me feel really old when a 20-yr-old says he used to do something 'long ago'! :-)

clyffmydylltyn
OBOD Bard

Postby clyffmydylltyn » 25 Jan 2013, 20:01

Thanks for the advice!
I learned crochet from youtube (don't tell any other men on this forum!) as I wanted a nice woolly hat for the winter and couldn't find anything in the shop that suited.
Try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjvEK_cjf9A - she's a really good teacher.

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 04 Feb 2013, 23:28

Looking at these pages of crafts makes me realise there are a lot more things I would like to learn!
at present, I
spin
knit
crochet
weave
sew and patchwork
garden, herbs ,vegs , and flowers
cook

I want to learn,
bead weaving
papermaking
woodwork :boggle:

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 04 Feb 2013, 23:42

Thanks for that link, Clyff!

Return to “Arts and Crafts”