Spinning?

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
kkieva
OBOD Bard

Re: Spinning?

Postby kkieva » 18 Apr 2013, 15:34

I for one would be absolutely interested in developing a seminar for July on spinning in all its forms and variations...I've settled on the whole "sheep to shawl" process as my Bardic practice (starting with raw fleece, sorting, washing, combing/carding, etc.) and I've been looking for ways to turn vision into reality; maybe this will enable me to do that.

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 18 Apr 2013, 17:15

kkieva, fantastic. Thank you. I'll pm you right now.

Edit about an hour and a half later: Well, fantastic. kkieva has agreed to speaking on sheep to shawl in the Bardic grade for July. The invitation is still open for other spinners to speak on spinning methods. What do you say?

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 14 Jul 2013, 12:18

I've been a bit slack in the spinning department, but happily now have a part-time day job which involves much fleeciness. At work, we are going to be re-constructing the Huldremose cloak (an iron-age garment from a Danish bog). It's twill cloth woven from spun wool. My colleague, Jo and I will be documenting the process for the experimental archaeology Centre where we work. I'll let you all know how it goes. I can already say it will be a slow process since we have to build the loom, grow the dyestuffs etc, so it might take years...

Also, I realise I've not yet posted a photo or vid of the shepherd stick. Time just seems to elude me. However, I am delighted (hmmm...) to say that I currently find myself with an excess of very tedious long boring hours on my hands and one of the only things I am able to do for short periods of time is spin, so I'll tart myself up and get Corwen to film the stick in action and share here. I just need to find the little Flip camera someone lent me...

Return to “Arts and Crafts”