~~~ How to make a Druid Quilt ~~~

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
Holly
OBOD Bard

Re: ~~~ How to make a Druid Quilt ~~~

Postby Holly » 01 Feb 2009, 00:51

Brianna,

Perfect timing--I'm actually in the process of doing my first quilt now. I've actually been cutting squares for blocks for two days! :D I would love to attempt making a square for this project. This may be a silly question, but do we each need to do the front and assemble it with batting, and backing for the individual square or is there a different technique you'd like us to use? And are there preferences for the designs? So far I've only been introduced to traditional Amish and Mennonite designs but I'm always willing to try something new.

Holly

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 01 Feb 2009, 10:30

Hi Holly,

that's great, so we're 11 now.

No specific style holly, your own design. And you just need to do the square, the front of it. I'll take one big piece for the back and the batting, depending on the total number of squares, plus maybe some frame fabric around the squares. :hug:
Warm greetings Brianna :hug:

Image Image Image2008 BSImage Image2012 SB

skh
OBOD Ovate

Postby skh » 01 Feb 2009, 13:07

If someone from the participants, or some willing helpful soul :) lives near Glastonbury and / or goes to the summer and winter gatherings regularly, the quilt could also be hung next to the seedgroup and grove banners decorating Glastonbury Town Hall. So this board would be present, in spirit, at the gatherings as well.

Just a thought. (I can't sew, though, sorry :wink:)

:beith:
peace /|\
Sonja
I don't think anybody ever died thinking they loved people too much, or had too much joy, or made too much music.

Paghnar
OBOD Bard

Postby Paghnar » 02 Feb 2009, 15:14

What I maybe have to add is that I have absolutely no experience with quilting, so don't expect too much. But I'm doing my best and as I always was good at fibre craft at school I hope that the result is presentable.

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 02 Feb 2009, 17:32

Hmmm - I see I need to revise my options...

I wanted to use a green piece of cross-stitch cloth and embroider a tree or some other plants, but I can only manage 1 square until April, I am not a fast embroiderer.

However, I still have a lot of small pieces of cloth left over - maybe I can play with them and come up with 3 squares....

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Paghnar
OBOD Bard

Postby Paghnar » 13 Feb 2009, 11:03

Unfortunately I have to back down. The new project at work is very time-consuming and I got some trainings in march, too. As much as I like the project, I simply will not have the time to participate :gloomy:.

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Postby Oakapple » 19 Feb 2009, 08:22

Paghnar - sorry to hear you won't be able to take part. Hopefully this will be so successful that we can make another at a better time!

It would be lovely to have our quilt at the Glastonbury Gatherings, Heres a link to a video of this summer's - it shows the beautiful banners at the start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhPZPqfF-4

I really enjoy seeking out fabrics, I have had fun looking for elderberry and blackthorn (my square has an Ogham theme).

How's everyone else doing?

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

merrymaiden

Postby merrymaiden » 20 Mar 2009, 11:34

Hello,
I'm a new member. Do you still need squares for the quilt. I'm happy to do one. In fact I've got a similar idea up and running for peace. It's lovely to be in touch with likeminded people. :grin: :rainbow:
Peace & Light from Merrymaiden

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 20 Mar 2009, 11:45

Hi,

yes sure, go ahead. The more the better :-)

Mneme

Postby Mneme » 20 Mar 2009, 16:35

Okay, I'll make time for this if you need another person. I should warn you that I'm definitely a functional quilter, i.e. I use the machine wherever possible. So if you want something hand-quilted, I might have to join you for another project. But if you're okay with the modern Druid's modern methods, put me down for square no. 11. Just let me know.

For the folks who asked: 12 inches square is for all intensive purposes 30 cm square. But I assume if Brianna's drafting a design, then she'll probably also specify the dimensions of the pattern pieces, so maybe it's not such an issue?

I'm happy to send my square to Germany, and you can use it for whatever purpose you want, but I'd be thrilled to see a photo of the finished product.

Grüsse aus der Schweiz,
Mneme

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 21 Mar 2009, 09:43

Hi

great :yay:

totally fine with the sowing machine. And I listed the dimensions of the square at the beginning of this thread, page 1 or 2.

Thank you all :hug:

Mneme

Postby Mneme » 21 Mar 2009, 11:29

Absolutely, I'm on it: Theme is "Druidry and Nature" and we make our own pieces, sew our own square, which should be 30.5 cm square plus another 1 cm around the edges for the seam allowance. Deadline for the squares is 30 April (well, end of April, anyway) and we send them to Germany - you'll let us know where, Brianna?

Let me know if I got anything wrong + looking forward to seeing all your lovely creations!

Saludos,
Mneme

PS - Brianna, wo in Bayern bist Du? Ich bin ziemlich nah an der deutschen Grenze ....

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 21 Mar 2009, 16:39

I need to back out of this project. I had a disaster - my home is threatened with collapse down the hill due to severe sudden erosion, overnight, on 3/9/09. It's condemned, so I was forced to move out of it very suddenly. Repair if possible is estimated at $300,000!!!!!! - on a house that was worth about $170,000. All my assets were the house, and the equity is now gone, so I'm looking for a place to rent, with my dog. Two possibilities already.

I don't have my computer - I just discovered the library! I probably won't be on regularly.

It will all be fine. I'm OK, income not affected, and am staying with UU friends who have 2 dogs and welcomed mine as well. I'ts a bit confusing for both Tara and myself.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

raveighen
OBOD Bard

Postby raveighen » 23 Mar 2009, 19:28

Good luck Donata! Blessings your way.
Blessings,
Raveighen Blackwing

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe

ImageImage ImageImage Image
Please love upon my beautiful dragons occassionally to keep them healthy.

Mneme

Postby Mneme » 26 Mar 2009, 09:18

Question to everyone: What kind of restrictions would you like to put on the type of fabric used in each square? I ask because I have some fabrics that I'd like to use, but they have to be washed on cold and cannot be dried in the drier. In addition, we might want to consider that some fabrics (though not the ones I was thinking of using) with strong colors like green, blue, and black might run and bleed into the other squares after having been washed, which would be a darn shame.

What do you think: Do we want to make a clear choice about type of fabric now? Or was everyone already going to use 100%, preshrunk, color-fast cotton? Please let me know!

And Brianna, once I have your postal address (so I know where to send my square), I'll start sewing.

Thanks,
Mneme

Holly
OBOD Bard

Postby Holly » 08 Apr 2009, 23:58

Brianna,

I'm going to try to get mine done by the end of the month, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to meet the deadline or not. I honestly think my professors are trying to kill all of the history department seniors in the last month before graduation--still have another 4 papers to go. :wall: I'll definately try though!

Holly

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Postby Oakapple » 09 Apr 2009, 16:40

Finished ! hooray!( I must have more spare time than I thought) Its not perfect, but as my sister in law says "better finished than perfect". I have used 'patchwork' cotton which I presume is colourfast etc. It would be much more eco friendly though to use ordinary offcuts.
Brianna, if you pm me your address I'll send it off to you.
It would be great to see some picture of work in progress.
Attachments
obodq1.JPG
obodq1.JPG (111.38 KiB) Viewed 2818 times

Mneme

Postby Mneme » 17 Apr 2009, 13:38

Oakapple,

Your square is so thoughtful: I just love the representation of each ogham letter with the tree print.

Kudos!
Mneme

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Postby Silverleaf_Willow » 26 Apr 2009, 22:34

Inspired by the song. Please PM an address for me to send it to.
Attachments
Land, sky & sea .JPG
Land, sky & sea .JPG (77.05 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
-silverleaf willow-

ImageImage

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Postby Oakapple » 27 Apr 2009, 08:06

Thats beautiful and I love your night sky, Silverleaf_Willow, mine was also inspired by that song. Isn't it great to see how the same ideas can be interpreted in different ways.

Return to “Arts and Crafts”