~~~ How to make a Druid Quilt ~~~

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
Brianna
OBOD Ovate

~~~ How to make a Druid Quilt ~~~

Postby Brianna » 28 Jan 2009, 14:17

Hi everyone,

I am a passionate Quilter. Well, either you are a Quilter, then you're passionate or you are not a Quilter ;-) And I have this idea (after watching "How to make an American Quilt" - grand film!):

Let's make a Druid Quilt together!

I'm thinking about 12 inch x 12 inch pieces for everyone who wants to take part. Overall colour tendency: green of course :-)

But each of you decides on the colours and patterns/designs herself. The Theme of the Quilt: Druidry & Nature.

Then we just need somebody to sow them all together. I'm a relative beginner, but if there's nobody else, I'm willing to do it. In the end we could give it to the office of the "Chosen Chief" of OBOD (whoever it may be at that point in time) as a thank you for this forum and all the work he is doing to raise a pro-nature consciousness and for sponsoring pro-nature organisations and so on.

We would of course all get a picture from it, and I can even make a foto album with each 12-inch-pattern in high definition for all of us.
And the Chosen Chief could bring it with him to Gatherings and hang it up on the wall, maybe it will be a source of inspirations for others who see it.

Who's with me?
Warm greetings Brianna :hug:

Image Image Image2008 BSImage Image2012 SB

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Re: ~~~ How to make a Druid Quilt ~~~

Postby Donata » 28 Jan 2009, 15:24

What a great idea!

My younger daughter asked everyone coming to her wedding to do this - the result was gorgeous! Some did traditional quilting, some painted their pieces, etc. I did an applique with some embroidery. They didn't stitch the entire quilt together for the wedding, but stitched it into several long panels that were hung from the trees in the gardens where she held her reception. (Wedding was on the beach - very romantic!).

For those who want to know, my applique was of mountains at dusk, greens, purples, deep blue/indigo, etc., then embroidered the Pleiades stars in the sky, and part of the Charge of the Star Goddess (the 2nd part of the Charge for those familiar with it).

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 28 Jan 2009, 21:45

Good Idea, but what about raffling it for a suitably Druidy charity like Survival International or the Rollright Stones appeal?

kproefrock
OBOD Ovate

Postby kproefrock » 29 Jan 2009, 06:59

I am a passionate Quilter. Well, either you are a Quilter, then you're passionate or you are not a Quilter ;-)
Hello Brianna!
I am also a quilter, I love your idea and I am game to participate! I would love to contribute a square or two :D I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to commit to the necessary time to sew the whole thing together at the end, but, I am also willing to cross that bridge when we come to it :grin:
For those who want to know, my applique was of mountains at dusk, greens, purples, deep blue/indigo, etc., then embroidered the Pleiades stars in the sky, and part of the Charge of the Star Goddess (the 2nd part of the Charge for those familiar with it).
That sounds fantastic! I love creating things that have symbolic meaning, I did an applique on a quilt last summer of our sacred well with three long flames of Imbas coming from it, with its Ash tree behind it and a bonfire in the background. There is something special about an enduring and useable piece of art like a quilt.

Did you have a time frame in mind, Brianna? Perhaps we can post pictures of our finished squares here on this thread?

Have a wonderful day!!
Kenneth
We did not arrive, like birds on barren branches; we grew out of this world, like leaves and fruit. Our universe "humans" just as a rosebush "flowers." Alan Watts

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 29 Jan 2009, 07:42

That's great, so we're already 3, 4? Katie, you too?

I think we can still decide together what to do with it once we sew it together (did I write sow? :-) ). Talk about the chicken when it's hatched so to say :grin:

Kenneth, is there anything more we need to know before we start? (measurements, general colour trend, theme....)

Paghnar
OBOD Bard

Postby Paghnar » 29 Jan 2009, 11:16

I love the idea, I'm in!

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 29 Jan 2009, 12:05

Love the idea, too. 12x12 inches - what is that in cm?

When is it due?

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 29 Jan 2009, 12:19

Jipiee, that's 7 with Katie. :yay:

Hey Aylyn :hug: , it's 30,5 cm. And it's due when we're all finished. Normally one loves this kind of thing more during the cold days, so maybe we could whip something up while it's still cold outside. If not, than not. :)

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Postby Oakapple » 29 Jan 2009, 16:01

Yes please, I'd like to make a square.
I don't mind doing sewing up but I really can't get on with quilting.
I made a patchwork wallhanging/altar cloth thingy while I was in the bardic grade but havent been inspired till now to do any more.
Hope the pictures will come out OK as I've never tried to post them before.

Some sort of time target for finishing may be good but not so close that it becomes a task we have to do.!
P1010043_edited resize2.jpg
P1010043_edited resize2.jpg (201.98 KiB) Viewed 5365 times
P1010045_editedresize.jpg
P1010045_editedresize.jpg (206.71 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
edit-it looks a bit creased...maybe its time to use it not keep it "put away safely"

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 29 Jan 2009, 16:50

How beautiful your pieces are!

Can someone give the finished size in inches please?

Thanks,
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

ImageImage ImageImage

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 29 Jan 2009, 16:54

Wow, those look gorgeous. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Well then, let's aim for the end of April. That's when the nice weather starts anyway :-)

The finished size depends on how many squares we have :). But you should make the 12 inch pieces a little bigger, say, by 1 inch or 2 cm, so there's space to sew them together neatly. If I do it, I intend to separate them from each other and do an all-around lining in a nice green material.

We're 8 now, one more and we could do 3 rows with 3 squares. The perfect number also - 9! :D

kproefrock
OBOD Ovate

Postby kproefrock » 30 Jan 2009, 05:15

Outstanding work, Oakapple!!
This is exciting! End of April sounds fantastic! I usually allow for a 1/4 inch margin all the way around each square for sewing them together, an inch is perfectly workable and gives everyone a little more slack.
Thank You Brianna for getting this project rolling :yay:
Have a wonderful day!!
Kenneth
We did not arrive, like birds on barren branches; we grew out of this world, like leaves and fruit. Our universe "humans" just as a rosebush "flowers." Alan Watts

Aurora
OBOD Bard

Postby Aurora » 30 Jan 2009, 13:22

I love your idea Brianna!!!! I've just started quilting and i really enjoy it and would love to make a square :)
ImageImage

Wisdom begins in wonder-Socrates

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 30 Jan 2009, 14:02

Thanks all :D

YAY, with Aurora, we're 9! Although I'm still not sure about Katie?

This is wonderful. I'll get started this weekend. I've already ordered a packet of green-shaded cotton pieces. :yay:

dream soul

Postby dream soul » 31 Jan 2009, 16:11

Hey! :hiya: if there's still room, i'd love to join in!!!! am still beginner at quilting too lol but would love to get into it! just post any further details needed, like where do we send them to get all sewed together etc. sounds like a lot of fun though, and a great chance to get really creative and express ourselves. yay!! :yay:
"Go where he will, the wise man is at home,
His hearth the earth, his hall the azure dome."
R.W.Emerson

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 31 Jan 2009, 16:23

Hi dream,

yes please, join in. I still have no confirmation from Katie, she didn't write a word that she would like to do a square too, so it seems we need you :-)

If you are with us Katie, we can always extend to 12 squares and do 4 rows with 3 squares.

I've talked with my Quilting teacher, she's like the professional of quilters, running her own quilt courses and such. She said she would help me put the squares together and quilt it. Thus you'd have to send your squares to Germany if that's ok with all of you.

I'd give you my address and phone number via PN. That way I can also make the pictures from the separate squares before they are put together and then make a picture book for each of the participants with big high definition pics from each square and the final product.

If we get 12, I could do a Calendar for 2010, with the whole quilt as a cover picture and one square for each month. Thus each of us has a souvenir from the quilt. Would you like that?

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 31 Jan 2009, 16:51

If we get 12, I could do a Calendar for 2010, with the whole quilt as a cover picture and one square for each month. Thus each of us has a souvenir from the quilt. Would you like that?
What a great idea! Thank you!

Donata

ImageImage ImageImage

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Postby Silverleaf_Willow » 31 Jan 2009, 17:28

count me in!
What a great idea.
I`m not an experienced quilter but I`ve done a square or two (for this type of project) in the past.
-silverleaf willow-

ImageImage

kproefrock
OBOD Ovate

Postby kproefrock » 31 Jan 2009, 20:16

Brianna, you are amazing!! That would be fantastic! Thank you :hug:
Kenneth

Brianna
OBOD Ovate

Postby Brianna » 31 Jan 2009, 21:14

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

So with Silverleaf_Willow and without Katie (as long as you don't say otherwise), we've got 10 now. Let's wait and see, I'm sure we'll get two more :D

I'll start this evening with the drawing. Half of the fun for me is also shopping for the materials I'm going to use. I don't have a big stock yet, because I haven't done it for so long. But I'll get there :grin:

Return to “Arts and Crafts”