Any embroider-ers or seamster/estresses ? :D

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
Neumaisse
OBOD Bard

Any embroider-ers or seamster/estresses ? :D

Postby Neumaisse » 27 Aug 2011, 22:04

I am a keen sewer and embroiderer. I've been doing a series of little cuties in various Pagan guises and garbs (See my avatar for my Druid lassie :) ) I do alot of altar cloths, and robes with hand embroidery. Anyone else have any great thoughts on sewing or hand embroideries?

Blessings,
Becky

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Re: Any embroider-ers or seamster/estresses ? :D

Postby Cosmic Ash » 28 Aug 2011, 17:10

I love your avatar, Becky!!
I enjoy cross stitch, but use or adapt other people's designs rather than create my own.

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Postby Oakapple » 30 Aug 2011, 10:43

Becky, your avatar is great.
I'm not really one for embroidery , I usually do patchwork but I am combining them in my ogham wall hanging, which is still under construction.
oghamforobod.JPG
oghamforobod.JPG (24.92 KiB) Viewed 2233 times

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

Aurora
OBOD Bard

Postby Aurora » 01 Sep 2011, 03:18

I'm enjoying learning embroidery at the moment as well as dressmaking :D (i'm also a quilter so have some sewing skills) i'm not the best drawer in the world but am finding lots of inspiration from photos and pictures both online and in books etc to use as inspiration.
ImageImage

Wisdom begins in wonder-Socrates

Neumaisse
OBOD Bard

Postby Neumaisse » 01 Sep 2011, 20:32

Oh! Beautiful!! I'm glad there are other Needle Folk here! I've just come in the door from my vacation, but will get some pics up of some of my work when I get a chance! :grin:

Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Postby Garan Gwyn » 12 Sep 2012, 03:03

I had started a part-time sewing business making druid robes, appliques and ceremonial wear for the pagan community where I live. Of course, it was very "part time". I used to embroider and cross-stitch, crochet, etc., a lot, but I have fibromyalgia and my hands hurt to much, so I had quit.

In June I lost my job due to chronic migraines. A blessing in disguise, it removed me from a toxic work environment that I had grown to dread. I guess I have the Ovate grade to thank for that! LOL Anyway, as soon as I had shut the door on that job and was completely dependent upon Life to care for me, my little sewing business began to take off! So yes, I do sew now -- still ceremonial clothing, and also working contract work for Jen Delyth, the Welsh Celtic artist. My business name is Sew & Sow (I hope to start including healing & ceremonial herbs) and I have a page on Facebook with pictures. I haven't had time to make the stuff I want to make...and I don't know where I would put it if I did -- until my son moves out! But I am trying!!

GG
/|\
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

"I know that I am one with beauty
And that my comrades are one.
Let our souls be mountains,
Let our spirits be stars,
Let our hearts be worlds."

-From Ansel Adams, An Autobiography
-A mantra of Gaelic origin given to Adams by Ella Young

Image Image :pan: :Cymru:

ziphii
OBOD Bard

Postby ziphii » 26 Jun 2017, 16:37

Do you have a link to your business, Garan? I need a ceremonial robe, and don't feel confident enough in my sewing to make one for myself.

Also, I am a cross stitcher, but I haven't made anything pagan or druidy. If anyone has links to some patterns for cross stitch that are appropriate for this I would be so happy. I wanted to make a Bardic Grade symbol thingy, but the quality of the photo in the Gwers was not a good option. If there's a better one someone has, that would be great. Or if you've made one yourself I would love to see it.

Ziphii

ZavieBelle
OBOD Bard

Postby ZavieBelle » 27 Jun 2017, 00:33

I'm a seamstress :) I make a lot of custom dresses and clothes for people who hate the fit of ready to wear clothing.

Delian
OBOD Bard

Postby Delian » 27 Jun 2017, 11:17

I used to do cross-stitch and made small projects that I bought. I don't do it anymore though, I have juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, and I've lost of capacity in my hands and wrists, hence why I stopped. I miss it though.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Arts and Crafts”