Organic Artist's Materials?

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
Karl

Organic Artist's Materials?

Postby Karl » 21 Nov 2011, 14:56

Does anyone know of a UK producer / retailer of organic (or eco-friendly) paint and canvases?
I've tried a few searches but my google-fu is weak today.

I've painted on and off for many years, but with an increasing unease about using oil and acrylic paint. I realise it's a very small change but every little helps and I might feel more connected to the media and my creations. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Karl
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Re: Organic Artist's Materials?

Postby Lily » 21 Nov 2011, 20:09

search egg tempera and mineral pigments....?
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 21 Nov 2011, 20:12

You could just make your own from raw materials - that way you would have total control over the ingredients and you could make exactly what you want, and buy organic where applicable. Medieval paints were made from stuff like goose fat, eggs, and natural pigments.

There is some info here
http://www.earthpigments.com/art/artists-oil-paints.cfm

but there is loads more info if you search for oil paint recipes. Once you know how to do it, there is scope for running workshops at camps and festivals - people love learning how to make things for themselves!

Good luck with your quest.

Karl

Postby Karl » 23 Nov 2011, 13:52

Thank you for the link!

I was envisioning premixed tubes for preference rather than making my own, but that's a testimony to consumer conditioning isn't it !! If I can't have it all done for me then I wont bother is the unspoken mantra that precludes all inactivity.

Makes sense that making my own paint would be the next step along the path... ...now where did I put the old pestle & mortar?
"I knows all about folk songs. Hah! You think you're listenin' to a nice song about- about cuckoos and fiddlers and nightingales and whatnot, and then it turns out to be about - about something else entirely. You can't trust folk songs. They always sneak up on you." - E. Weatherwax

A hidden connection is stronger than an overt connection.

paikea
OBOD Bard

Postby paikea » 26 Jan 2012, 10:12

I have been thinking about making my own paints/canvas for awhile and I found this link (http://www.naturalpigments.com/educatio ... rticleID=3) useful for the how to part.
I'm actually tying this in to our science curriculum and use the pigments and set up some simple tests with lightfastness (which in turn will be very useful for me :D)

paikea
OBOD Bard

Postby paikea » 26 Jan 2012, 10:13

I forgot to mention youtube. there is quite an active comunity of multi media artists and several have tutorial video's on how to make stuff like gesso

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 07 Feb 2012, 17:07

Don't forget casein-based paints...
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “Arts and Crafts”