Bread making

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
LadyAoftheshire
OBOD Ovate

Re: Bread making

Postby LadyAoftheshire » 13 May 2013, 17:51

This isn't bread per-say, but it can be made relatively gluten free, doesn't require kneading and is lovely toasted. I love to toast it and put avocado and cherry tomatoes on it for breakfast.
http://mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the- ... -of-bread/
The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread
Makes 1 loaf

Ingredients:
1 cup / 135g sunflower seeds
½ cup / 90g flax seeds
½ cup / 65g hazelnuts or almonds
1 ½ cups / 145g rolled oats
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
4 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
1 tsp. fine grain sea salt (add ½ tsp. if using coarse salt)
1 Tbsp. maple syrup (for sugar-free diets, use a pinch of stevia)
3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil or ghee
1 ½ cups / 350ml water

Directions:
1. In a flexible, silicon loaf pan combine all dry ingredients, stirring well. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable). Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it it.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
3. Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing (difficult, but important).
4. Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.- Davinci
Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" Mary Anne Radmacher

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 14 May 2013, 05:35

I adore grainfree/lowgrain recipes, so thank you Ladyoftheshire.

Just two questions:
are the seeds/nuts ground or whole?
would it be half a tablespoon (not a teaspoon) of coarse salt? (Coarse salt weighs less per volume).
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

LadyAoftheshire
OBOD Ovate

Postby LadyAoftheshire » 14 May 2013, 06:57

Hi Shadowcat, I just put the seeds/nuts in whole. I use hazelnuts and it gives it a wonderful texture and the hazelnuts have a wonderful roast taste.

For salt, I kind of just put a pinch of course sea salt in, so sometimes it varies. I find it adds a bit more flavour, as when you eat it, occassionally you'll get a small bit of salt which enhances the grains.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.- Davinci
Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" Mary Anne Radmacher

Return to “Arts and Crafts”