video: how to make an easy Haggis

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

video: how to make an easy Haggis

Postby DJ Droood » 15 Jan 2014, 17:50

2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

plaidcat
OBOD Bard

Re: video: how to make an easy Haggis

Postby plaidcat » 04 Mar 2014, 17:04

This is a neat one! Haggis, as well as sausage-making in general, is definitely on my list of to-dos in the kitchen. I've been going total geek about fermenting for the last 6 months or so, so its only a natural progression to pair my sauerkrauts and kimchis with brats and haggis...
Kestrel ~ Kayla

Image Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 05 Mar 2014, 00:08

What is kimchis? (I know I could google it, but I might as well ask someone who has made it!)

btw, if you do that haggis recipe, I would cut back by 1/3 or so with the suet...

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 05 Mar 2014, 04:16

I couldn't find a definitive link, but I believe sheep offal is either banned in Canada/US, or at least in some grey food classification area (not to mention culinary). At any rate, it is hard to find unless you know a farmer, I guess..I substituted easy to find lamb and chicken liver and a hog casing. More like "I Can't Believe It's Not Haggis!", than haggis.

plaidcat
OBOD Bard

Postby plaidcat » 06 Mar 2014, 18:11

Kimchi is the delightful asian version of fermented cabbage. The diverging point between kimchi and sauerkraut is a chili paste. Kimchi is typically made with napa cabbage, daikon radish, sometimes carrots, garlic, and a paste of (typically Korean) chili powder, onion, garlic, and fish sauce.

I'm in Texas, so I could definitely get almost any kind of offal i wanted at the Mexican meat markets, but finding specifically a sheep stomach might be difficult, so I'd likely stick with porcine casings. That looks like a great day project!!
Kestrel ~ Kayla

Image Image

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 06 Mar 2014, 21:04

But you don't make haggis, you hunt them. They run wild over the Scottish highlands, and they're highly dangerous!

Here in Spain there's very little opportunity to buy any. I did get some tinned from a British shop near Barcelona, which is a bit of a distance and they only had it for Christmas, I believe.

Maybe I could get some ingredients together and have a go at making it... I mean, setting them loose in the local mountains and hunting one whenever I have the need. :wink:

Edit: This deserves a mention. Hilarious.

Return to “Arts and Crafts”