Making the right witches knife.

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
Scatterbat
OBOD Bard

Making the right witches knife.

Postby Scatterbat » 07 Aug 2014, 08:56

Like many people who followed a Wiccan path we are instructed in the books we need an Athame which is simply a steel blade with some sort of black handle. I adapted a hunting knife some years back into an Athame by removing the rubber grip and replacing it with an ebony handle which feels nice in the hand, but all in despite everything else I put into the knife it still feels totally wrong for me. As such I will be offering it up to the gods and spirits of the sacred place in due course once I find or make what I feel to be it's replacement.

I think deep down that Iron and steel is inappropriate to use in such a sacred tool and the gods themselves in some cases pre date the use of iron, or at least the energy's of the gods and spirits are much older then the ancient names we often give to them. So I don't feel it is right for me to use a steel or iron blade.

Copper and bronze seems to be slightly better but the prize for me now is a good well worked flint blade perhaps in a bronze age shape with a black bound tight wove cloth hand grip. Leather may be ok, that part has not spoken to me as yet.

I was thinking that the knife could be made from a simple large flake but would be more affective if I used the core method as it would produce a larger stronger more fancy blade, but it's much more difficult to work.

Has anybody here managed to make such a knife and how did you go about it. Can anybody post any pictures of flint or stone knives they have made themselves?

I also feel the use of such a tool would be different from the one we are often told to use it for. In my case I am beginning to feel its for divination in some way. Has anybody also come across such knives being used in this way?

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Re: Making the right witches knife.

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 07 Aug 2014, 22:30

Sounds like a cool idea! I have a brass deer antler handled sickle that I use most of the time. If I need something pointy, I use an ash wand that I made from a tree in my yard. I do have an athame that I made long ago out of a piece of steel that I made with long hours of filing. It was a ton of work but I was never satisfied with it. I'd love to see photos of your project!

Wolf Dreamer
:wolf:
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Postby Dathi » 08 Aug 2014, 12:23

There is a bit of "knife chat" in an old seminar: viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256 More pragmatic than ritual, but having a multi-purpose tool works for me.

I saw a fantastic knapped knife over the weekend - razor sharp. Some fine items are here: http://www.artofishi.com/stoneknives.html and here: http://www.knappinjack.com/knives-custom-stone.html and a whole bunch are here: http://flintknappers.com/

But this looks like the way to go: http://www.will-lord.co.uk/

Dathi
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Scatterbat
OBOD Bard

Postby Scatterbat » 09 Aug 2014, 21:07

Hi All,
Thank you for your reply's.

Will Lord gave me a few ideas. I really like the idea of the decorated pebbles with animals on them. I tend to use animals to represent the four quarters so those decorated pebbles would work a treat, perhaps even having an engraved set to use outside would be a fantastic idea. I usually pull four cards from the druid animal oracle as representations of the four quarters and elements. I love using images of animals in my path.

I now know that the blade type is of one of the many Danish types of blades that copied the early bronze blades. That has now been made clear, and by looking at online tutorials I need to learn a new skill set to produce one. They must of been the most advanced stone tools produced at the end of the stone age. One wrong move when making it and the blade will end up in several pieces. They are far removed from small crude basic arrow heads I have produced in the past. Think until I have the skills to make my own it would for now be safer to obtain a reproduction in flint as a temporary solution.

greygreen
OBOD Ovate

Postby greygreen » 11 Aug 2014, 17:39

I'm in no way Wiccan / Witch, and do not use any ceremonial tools of any kind, but I do spend a good deal of time learning primitive skills. I'm also all about up-cycling. So with those caveats in mind, I humbly offer:

First, there's a great forum here (http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/11) where you can pick up the beginnings of flintknapping. I'm currently learning how to do this to make arrowheads. Another option is actually glass - it can be knapped the same as flint and makes beautiful arrowheads. I'm guessing that it would make a lovely and unique athame as well, depending on how much actual cutting you wanted to do with it. Take a favorite whiskey or wine bottle (even one used in a ceremony that was special to you) and convert it into a glass blade! I can imagine a bone or wrapped leather handle looking wonderful against a green-glass blade.

Second, you can look for blacksmithing classes around where you live. I managed to take a 2-day class a while back where five or six of us got together around a forge out in the woods and made knives, hammers and axe heads out of reclaimed steel (old trucks from the 70s used lots of high-carbon steel in their struts and some folks use railroad ties). I personally use a skeg-style headed axe that I forged myself as my regular camp hatchet. The pleasure I get at knowing I made it from what others consider garbage is only exceeded by the connection I feel to it.

Good luck in your crafts and your practice.
Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. - A.A. Milne

Scatterbat
OBOD Bard

Postby Scatterbat » 12 Aug 2014, 03:46

Thank you . I have just joined paleoplanet . Lot's on there to read and look at, and one of the more interesting forums I have seen this year. Some slight problems with getting around the site so expect my computer does not like it. I have a Temperamental computer :o

Scatterbat
OBOD Bard

Postby Scatterbat » 18 Aug 2014, 21:35

Not one I made myself, I just put a few finishing touches to it to personalize it a bit more. Will put on a black leather grip soon. Has good vibes and feels right to the touch. Has a wonderful sounding ping when you tap the blade with a fingernail. I will knap my own from scratch one day from some local flint or chert. Until then I will show off what I was after and finally obtained :)
Attachments
L1120349.JPG
L1120349.JPG (181.33 KiB) Viewed 2647 times

Morgawen
OBOD Bard

Postby Morgawen » 05 Nov 2017, 13:54

Here's one I used to have. Flint chert blade with carved wooden handle :)
20170921_125108.jpg
20170921_125108.jpg (4.65 MiB) Viewed 303 times
:raven: The Crafty Bard!

The seeds of our destiny, are nurtured by the roots of our past.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 05 Nov 2017, 14:15

That's a beauty. :)

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 06 Nov 2017, 07:59

Flint-knives are a thing of art.... Hope you find or make the one that is yours to the core...

On the ritual part:Personally, my ritual weaponry is of the strongly tactical kind.My athame is a Gerber Guardian double-edged blade meant to be worn concealed. The duality of that speaks to me. The semingly sole purpose of the blade is broken by my use of it in an entirely different way. Something that is designed to kill pure and simple, to be used for peace. To me that both reminds me of the duality of human nature and my own nature, and the ability that all can change if used with the right intent.

A wonderful ritual practice that a friend of mine who is (for lack of a better description) an Asatru, is the walking of the knive. In that you visualise yourself in essence shrunken and walking the blade. The handle, feeling the wood/leather, warm under your feet. The bindings, stepping onto the the blade, feeling it like ice under your feet. Walking towards edge and point, aware of the sharpness that exists where the material (steel/stone) comes together in a single molecule, the sharpness of the crystalline grid. The way the blade divides the world. One side of the blade in the light, one in the dark. At some point -if it feels right- you let the visualisation take over and see where it takes you...

Another thread worth reading on this boards is: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47335&start=20
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Return to “Arts and Crafts”