Where to buy an Ogham set?

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Where to buy an Ogham set?

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 14 Apr 2015, 03:31

Question...does anyone know where to buy an Ogham set? I found this one http://www.spiritofold.co.uk/ogham.htm however the price just seems on the higher side. I wanted to know thoughts from others and shopping advice. Granted I suppose I could make my own. I am in the Bardic grade and have not yet started the Ovate. I understand the Ovate grade covers the ogham?
May the peace of the season find you,
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Re: Where to buy an Ogham set?

Postby Badger Bob » 14 Apr 2015, 09:06

My honest answer is make your own, mine took me about ninety minutes from start to usable and another ninety minutes to wax and polish them. Hand made sets are always going to be expensive on the open market so I would advise looking at card sets such as the Green Man Tree Oracle (naturally) or the set published by the BDO. Your own cards are a doddle to make with a pack of blank business cards and a felt pen, twenty minutes tops.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 14 Apr 2015, 11:41

I understand the Ovate grade covers the ogham?

It does but there's no reason why you can't start early, if it feels the right time :grin: Druidry is a non-linear path :spiral:

As BadgerBob says it's probably worth creating your own, many people feel that creating your own is necessary to gain a greater connection to their meanings.

Have a look here : http://ogham.lyberty.com/
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 15 Apr 2015, 04:11

Fair enough and thank you both for the feedback. Though I would prefer to make them, I'm not certain of all the trees, where to find them, or what ogham are used in divination. I assume all? I have a few references to the ogham script, but of course I'm not certain of the accuracy.
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 15 Apr 2015, 06:52

I've seen some very pretty handmades ones on etsy.com

Haven't got a set of my own yet, due to the fact that I'm more of a rune-person and I have a certain "meh" feeling about the ogham... but I'm working on it... :grin:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 15 Apr 2015, 10:00

Fair enough and thank you both for the feedback. Though I would prefer to make them, I'm not certain of all the trees, where to find them, or what ogham are used in divination. I assume all? I have a few references to the ogham script, but of course I'm not certain of the accuracy.
I wouldn't bother with the idea that every stave must be made out of the tree it depicts, it is a nice idea but a lot more trouble than it is worth. Mine are all made from willow, mainly because I had just trimmed my willow tree and I had a ton of it waiting to be burned. They still work as well as any others. Fruit trees are traditionally associated with divination so apple, pear, cherry etc. would make a very good set, as would ash, birch, oak or any other wood you have handy. Dowel from the hardware store would work just as well. For marking you have a few options, I used pyrography. I reversed an xacto knife blade to give me a short straight edge, heated it up in the flame of a small camping stove and branded the markings on that way. I had to use a nail for the curly one (uileand) but it wasn't difficult. You could also cut them with the sharp end of an xacto blade and stain them with wax crayon or paint or you could just paint the ogham on (or even use a sharpie permanent marker). I sealed mine with beeswax to stop them getting too grubby with use and put them in a 50p drawstring bag from the local hippy shop. Total cost 50p plus about £2 worth of gas and beeswax polish.

As for using them, Paul Rhys Mountfort's book "Ogam" has become one of the standard texts although there are a couple of very good chapters on the basics in John Michael Greer's books "The Druidry Handbook" and "The Druid Magic Handbook".

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 15 Apr 2015, 10:05

Here is my set (if the image works this time...)
ogham set.jpg
ogham set.jpg (108.56 KiB) Viewed 2344 times

ebhadh
OBOD Druid

Postby ebhadh » 15 Apr 2015, 17:07

Hi Blaze,

Yes, you do most certainly learn the Ogam in the Ovate grade. It is not just about the symbols, it is also about working with actual individual trees. I highly recommend that, when you start the Ovate, you collect a few (a small twig) from each of the 25 trees/plants. If you cannot get the exact tree in your locale then at least find one of the same genus. This way you will see where they are growing, learn to identify them, what the bark is like and you can work, spiritually, with the tree energies. You could buy yourself a set of cards or sticks with ogams on and read about them but, in my opinion, it is no substitute for collecting and making your own. It took my seven years to complete my set and I never regretted that journey because I learned such a lot by it. I recommend you get a copy of Robert Graves the White Goddess to understand more about the poetry of the trees.

Many blessings,
Ebhadh :) :smgrove:
May the Long-Time Sun shine upon you; All Love surround you; the Pure-Light-Within guide you all the way on.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 16 Apr 2015, 13:11

I highly recommend that, when you start the Ovate, you collect a few (a small twig) from each of the 25 trees/plants.
This works within a northern European context where it takes some effort and a little knowledge of the countryside to find the relevant plants (not all are trees) - but you may want to work within the context of your own landscape and plants.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 17 Apr 2015, 03:40

Blaze Dragon

Image Image

ebhadh
OBOD Druid

Postby ebhadh » 17 Apr 2015, 08:31

These are good enough for a beginner, yes. There is more to it than this but it will be up to you to research it when you are working through Ovate grade later on.

Ebhadh :)
May the Long-Time Sun shine upon you; All Love surround you; the Pure-Light-Within guide you all the way on.

BreathingSince72
OBOD Bard

Postby BreathingSince72 » 04 Dec 2017, 21:53

Question...does anyone know where to buy an Ogham set? I found this one http://www.spiritofold.co.uk/ogham.htm however the price just seems on the higher side. I wanted to know thoughts from others and shopping advice. Granted I suppose I could make my own. I am in the Bardic grade and have not yet started the Ovate. I understand the Ovate grade covers the ogham?
I found, on Amazon, the perfect items to do this. Go to amazon.com and search for (insert your dimensions) wooden tiles. I found multiple sets of 25 which I felt could not be a coincidence. I ended up selecting tiles that were approx 1 1/4 by 3/4 tall and wide and very thin. Haven't decided what magical timing I want to use yet but I am leaning toward a waxing or full moon.

I agree that you need not necessarily have the wood from each specific tree. Intent is everything.

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Postby Oakapple » 05 Dec 2017, 15:15

I had some oghams from http://www.ladyoakwood.co.uk/ladyoak-shop.html. They are not so expensive.

I also made my own set from local trees and plants, and I felt that seeking them out helped me feel more connected to my local area. I am lucky that its easier as I live in the UK, but I think that the effort involved in finding local equivalents would be worth it if possible.

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

Delian
OBOD Bard

Postby Delian » 06 Dec 2017, 23:16

You can find sets at Etsy, eBay and Amazon at decent prices. I bought my set The Magical Druid:

http://www.magicaldruid.com/store/c14/Divination_.html

Unfortunately, they don't have my beautiful set in stock anymore. My set was the Ogham Dragon set, the same as their Runes Dragon set but with Ogham symbols on them. My set is so beautiful.
Attachments
ogham-dragons domestic poplar.jpg
ogham-dragons domestic poplar.jpg (233.49 KiB) Viewed 96 times
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Arts and Crafts”