Circle Window Trim aka "The Ring"

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
AshRocks
OBOD Bard

Circle Window Trim aka "The Ring"

Postby AshRocks » 05 Nov 2017, 14:28

We'd splurged and installed a round window, 24" in diameter, in our home. Now how to trim it out? We had a carpenter make the round window trim out of pine: it reminded me of "The Ring" in JRR Tolkein's The Hobbit and Lord of the RIngs. That flash of inspiration reminded me how much I'd enjoyed the beauty of the Elvish font and language that Tolkein created for these books. So I googled "english to elvish translator" figuring I'd be lucky to find anything and instead hit the jackpot! Apparently there are quite a few people who can speak and write elvish languages!

Now armed with an online translator for English to Tengwar, I transcribed the first two lines of the Riddle of Strider onto the window trim. Then I used a small router (Dremel brand) to inscribe the words into the trim. Next I put ebony stain in the lettering, sanded the surface to remove any stain that strayed outside by error, and then stained the entire trim with a red oak stain. A couple of coats of polyurethane to seal it and it's complete. I do love how it turned out. Other than having the carpenter create the round trim, the rest was easy to do.

The window trim reads: All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
20171101_160745 (2).jpg
20171101_160745 (2).jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 187 times
:nuin: :trilithon:Image Image 2017 IL, 2017 BS, 2017 LI, 2017 SB

"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito." ~ African Proverb

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Re: Circle Window Trim aka "The Ring"

Postby winterfire » 05 Nov 2017, 21:01

Beautiful!

Waldfrau
OBOD Bard

Re: Circle Window Trim aka "The Ring"

Postby Waldfrau » 05 Nov 2017, 21:05

Wow, that's gorgeous! :blink:

Selene
OBOD Druid