N-scale Railroad Druidry

Post and discuss your recipes, techniques for creating useful and decorative items. Show off your hints and tricks. Let us see your work.
Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

N-scale Railroad Druidry

Postby Tracy G » 11 Dec 2017, 20:00

Every year in December, my husband takes over the coffee table and sets up his N-scale (1:160) model train set.

This weekend, I claimed some territory of my own and installed a Druid hill. I’m now gathering firewood for the solstice bonfire…
Attachments
171211NscaleGrove.jpg
171211NscaleGrove.jpg (422.97 KiB) Viewed 290 times
“Herein therefore lies our present problem: to find forms of expression for the time-spirit of the seasons in such a way as to enrich the spirit of devotion to the soil, to express and to intensify co-operation with nature.”
...—Ross Nichols, “An Examination of Creative Myth,” in The Cosmic Shape (1946)

trinitylaurel
OBOD Bard

Re: N-scale Railroad Druidry

Postby trinitylaurel » 11 Dec 2017, 20:27

LOL! That is too cute. I love those little villages, although I don't have one myself yet... But when I do, I'm definitely making a Druid hill! :D
“Wisdom is not communicable. The wisdom which a wise man tries to communicate always sounds foolish... Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.”
― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

malcolmb
OBOD Ovate

Postby malcolmb » 11 Dec 2017, 21:06

That's the problem today. You find a nice, quiet hill. Lots of trees and a clearing. Cut and drag all the stones for miles and miles. Spend ages positioning and building your henge and stone circle to precisely match the Solstices. Bless it, invite all the local Druids, spend days cooking tasty treats. And what happens? Someone builds a **** rail-road right next to it! I feel a mass protest coming on. OBOD Unite! The Rail-road must go!
Peaceful Earth Grove: http://www.peacefulearthgrove.com/

My original "Druid Music" CDs (all proceeds to the charity "Pagan Aid":
https://lylemusic.bandcamp.com/

My original Celtic / Folk / Jazz music at:
http://www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
http://www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
http://www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic

“So many Gods, so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind. While just the art of being kind, is all the sad world needs.” Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Waldfrau
OBOD Bard

Postby Waldfrau » 11 Dec 2017, 22:04

Wow, that's so cool! :)

LeonaOigheag
OBOD Bard

Postby LeonaOigheag » 11 Dec 2017, 22:48

That's awesome! It looks great.
~ Victoria - aka Leona Oigheag
Blog: Lion and Dragonfly | Twitter: liondragonfly | Tumblr: leonaoigheag

Runefang
OBOD Bard

Postby Runefang » 11 Dec 2017, 22:50

Awesomeness personified. Model trains and Druidry, what's not to like? :)

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 12 Dec 2017, 00:07

…And what happens? Someone builds a **** rail-road right next to it! I feel a mass protest coming on. OBOD Unite! The Rail-road must go!
:warm: :trilithon: Haha! On the bright side, the N-scale grove is mainly comprised of hobos, and since their boxcars roll by at least once every minute, it’s likely that everybody will arrive on time for the ceremony!
“Herein therefore lies our present problem: to find forms of expression for the time-spirit of the seasons in such a way as to enrich the spirit of devotion to the soil, to express and to intensify co-operation with nature.”

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 12 Dec 2017, 00:28

That's the problem today. You find a nice, quiet hill. Lots of trees and a clearing. Cut and drag all the stones for miles and miles. Spend ages positioning and building your henge and stone circle to precisely match the Solstices. Bless it, invite all the local Druids, spend days cooking tasty treats. And what happens? Someone builds a **** rail-road right next to it! I feel a mass protest coming on. OBOD Unite! The Rail-road must go!
LOL Malcomb! Love that!
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Susan Jones
OBOD Druid

Postby Susan Jones » 12 Dec 2017, 10:07

Haha! brilliant! Love the train and the henge. Where's the bus station?
druids heath bus.JPG
druids heath bus.JPG (57.17 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Hope I've attached the pic OK...

Susan
Susan Jones

Briar Fox
OBOD Bard

Postby Briar Fox » 14 Dec 2017, 21:11

adorable! I love it!!!

Corbiniane
OBOD Bard

Postby Corbiniane » 15 Dec 2017, 15:02

You have me in tears :-) :-)

And Tracy what a wonderful tradition! I've only managed your average German "Adventskranz" ("advent wreath") and THAT is currently sitting in the oven not on the table because Crazy Dog has decided he likes to eat whatever we like to leave on the table whenever we leave for a time (including but not limited to pencils, pens, erasers, tissues, books, letters, and, yes, candles). The oven is the only place he can't reach OR open. I dread the Christmal tree :blink:
"Most of the doing is not-doing and all the results occur naturally when one is not striving to achieve them."
~Jan Fries

"This is beauty and this is beauty, and you are beauty, and love is beauty and we are beauty. We are divine, unchanged by time"
~Amy Tan

Tracy G
OBOD Ovate

Postby Tracy G » 15 Dec 2017, 15:23

Heehee! Corbiniane, just remember to take that wreath out of the oven before you next preheat it! I think it’s the candles that are supposed to be lit, not the foliage. :grin:

I like Susan’s idea of Druid double-deckers. But our little train town definitely needs some bike lanes, too. This shop kept coming up in my Internet searches, when I was trying to find images for my forthcoming Touchstone article on Druids and cycling…
Attachments
DruidCyclesLondon.jpg
DruidCyclesLondon.jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 208 times

Corbiniane
OBOD Bard

Postby Corbiniane » 16 Dec 2017, 14:51

That's a valid concern, Tracy G, I've been known to pre-heat the oven while a cake (stored there for much the same reason) covered in cling foil was still inside. I remembered JUST in time :shrug: :wink: I don't care much for the smell of burning.... plastic!

Those pictures are just so great. You don't find any Druid stuff in Germany, I don't think.

Since I saw your Druid hill, I've been thinking how to build a small one in our garden (somewhere my husband can be persuaded not to mow :whistle: ).
"Most of the doing is not-doing and all the results occur naturally when one is not striving to achieve them."
~Jan Fries

"This is beauty and this is beauty, and you are beauty, and love is beauty and we are beauty. We are divine, unchanged by time"
~Amy Tan

Return to “Arts and Crafts”