Polytheism

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
suntree

Polytheism

Postby suntree » 20 Sep 2010, 10:01

As a polytheist I am interested in finding out how many members would classify themselves as such. I am also interested in which pantheons members identify with and what members think of combining pantheons.

I personally view all gods as individual entities and just like many of our ancestors I have no problem with including gods from many pantheons in my beliefs even though I identify and work with the Welsh pantheon.

Over to you.../|\
ImageImage

Lailoken
OBOD Bard

Re: Polytheism

Postby Lailoken » 20 Sep 2010, 15:36

I work pretty much exclusively with the Welsh pantheon, viewing each deity as a separate an distinct individual. I rarely go outside that pantheon, but when I do I don't mix pantheons in the same ritual or working. Since childhood I've always had a fascination with ancient Egypt, so at times I've experimented with blending Kemeticism and Druidry, but other than that, I really don't feel the need to look outside the Welsh pantheon.
Room to grow...
Image Image Image Image Image

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 21 Sep 2010, 18:46

Yes, a Polytheist here.

I feel that all the Deities exist equally, and that it our mortal views that give names and other associations to these beings of light and knowledge.

To name the Deity is and think it is only that one name limits its power overall. I believe our Deities are endless in power, availability, and scope.

So yes, Quetzcoatl, Thor, and Vishnu may in fact be the very same Deity (please do not hold me to this association of names, I used three completely at random).

/|\ Mark
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

Scatterbat
OBOD Bard

Postby Scatterbat » 04 Aug 2014, 09:10

I Certainly feel I am in the same mind set. I feel strongly towards the modern Wiccan God and Goddess, but also feel that some places have their own local spirits and entities. Sometimes you could walk for days without feeling anything, another time they seem to be dotted about here and there. These energy points make great places to leave offerings. Two favorite ones of mine being near an Oak tree and the other being on a stretch of stream where I played as a kid. I feel there is something definite about the later site and often have talked to it and simply addressed it as the spirit of this place. Occasionally in the Bardic grade I have used a couple of names of Celtic goddesses but only one has made herself known and that was a really strong response that it made me sit up and take notice.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 04 Aug 2014, 15:57

I feel so mixed up sometimes as far as pantheons go. I really can't pick just one. I consider myself 'closest' with Aphrodite and Ares, but I also pray to Laima under our basswood tree, call to Brighid when I bless my house, mutter at Loki when I stub my toe, stop to pay tribute to cows in the name of Hathor, say a prayer to Gabija when I light my candles, tell my son stories about Zeus, honor Lugh on Lughnasadh, etc, etc, etc... Its something I've never been able to 'neatly' organize, and I doubt I ever will. When I stop to think on it, why should I? I don't, however, call upon deities from different pantheons in the same ritual, and I don't call upon two who don't really get along(for example, I probably wouldn't invite both Ares and Zeus into my circle). It just seems in good taste to do this, at least to me...
I do believe also in nature spirits that are separate from the Gods. It seems they exist in many mythologies, just going by different names.

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 05 Aug 2014, 08:01

I'm undecided.

My working view at the moment is the connected energy I used to view as non-sentient "deity" is nwyfre. Then there are spiritual entities of varying degrees of power, some of which are seen as Gods/Goddesses and some of which are not. Of those that are, I'm unclear on whether Herne and Cernnunos (to take a well known example) are the same being or whether they're actually different. Then there are genus locii and plant spirits, from the sentinel rocks in Monument Valley to the forget-me-knot flowers in the hedgerow.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 06 Aug 2014, 08:28

Striclty speaking, I'm no polytheist, but I find inspiration and insight in the myths and gods of the world.
They represent to me the symbolic description of the many forces around them that are cultural, natural and psychological, impersonal forces given a personal spin. The myths can tell us a lot of how the ancients thought about themselves their world, but because of their archetypal content, they can tell us about ourselves and our world.

Sometimes you can reconnect to the history of a place through mythology, and over the weekend I went on a sailing boat, which was a first for me, in the Mediterrenean sea. To think that this sea was covered with empires and civilisations and that their gods lived here. Whether you believe the sea is a god or not, you can feel its power and history, and it certainly deserves respect and reverance.

FoxRobin

Postby FoxRobin » 06 Aug 2014, 11:39

I would class myself as a panthiest, having said that though I do work with many different Gods. Years ago, I was happy to see the Gods as being archetypes, however after having many visit me and the relationships I have created, I no longer see them as archetypes, but as individual beings who have become aware of their "God nature", thus being viewed as Gods.

I have a close connection with a small handful of Gods from across many different pantheons. I tend to have a closer connection with more Celtic and Norse Gods, however do work with some Greek and Hindu Gods also. Depending on the context, I will ask different Gods from different pantheons to be present with me together at times, so far none have expressed any disapproval at this to me. I only do this with the ones I work closely with and know well however. I tend to er on the side of caution with Gods I am not so close or familiar with.

ennys
OBOD Bard

Postby ennys » 14 Sep 2014, 17:12

Not really sure on this one. On a rational level, I'd say I'm a holistic pantheist -Everything stems for the divine, is part of the divine, and the divine lives in every being. The 'we are all connected cause coming from and being part of the same source' thing. Nwyfre - life-power-essence.

But the concept of Gods has its use. Like archetypes, yes, and...as 'faces of the divine'.
I often 'feel' the divine as a mother Goddess, an being steeped in Celtic tradition, especially breton tradition, I tend to call this mother goddess Ana. The Goddess Brigit appears every time again in my life to keep me on track - she seems to be my guardian. The horned God has its own power in my life, although he keeps more on a distance, he is definitely there.
Do these Gods actually *exist* on an objective level?

This is imho linked directly to the question of why catholics have visions of Mary, muslims of Mohammad and Hindus of Hindu gods. While practitioners of Voodoo get into contact with voodoo gods but not with others.
The Divine shows Itself to us in ways that we are able to understand, ways that speak to out sould. If our soul speaks druidry, the divine will communicate with us in that 'language'. Same for other beliefs. But it is the same life-force that speaks to all of us. The all-encompassing is really all-encompassing and religions are just our way to deal with different aspects of it.....
Dancing to the music of the Web
Etre ar mor hag an neñv hag an douar

Linnende
OBOD Bard

Postby Linnende » 11 Feb 2015, 12:37

Another polytheist here. I also view the deities as distinct entities and not just aspects of the one goddess/god. I honour the Celtic (mainly Irish), Greek and Norse pantheons as I feel connected most with these. Also, my polytheism is about connecting with my ancestral past. I have Irish, mediterranean and northern European ancestry so for me to just focus on one pantheon would be dishonouring the other aspects of my ancestry.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 11 Feb 2015, 13:45

Beyond the belief/experience of the gods as distinct entities, I'm wondering what is the metaphysical thinking behind it (out of curiosity, not sceptic prodding ;) ).

What are they, and where do they come from? Do the myths reflect their origins? How are the gods of different pantheons related? How do they interact? What is the signifcance of/relationship to the natural and cultural attributes they are associated with? What is their relationship to the land and ancestry?

And finally, are these things important to consider or does a simple belief/experience of them suffice?

Return to “The Common Quest”