Druids, animals, and Spirits.

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
FoxPhantom

Druids, animals, and Spirits.

Postby FoxPhantom » 21 Oct 2010, 18:14

I have so much I want to ask, but I don't know how far asking every single thing I have in mind would help. So to frank, I am gonna add just three of the questions I seem to have a bit of trouble with.

1. Druids: I am now utterly confused on how a Druid is called a Druid, I remember that to be known as a druid is called a leader. But is the title available to everyone who has not gone through the coarse?

2. Animal guides: Just as a note, I do believe in animal guides, but I try not to call them much since I remember about them having there own agenda's. How does a person put's a leash on something that is not physically there?

3. Spirit: this is something I know little, but close to none. Isn't spirit something that exist all around everyone?
Mischief Managed. Problems Vanished.
This white fox remains.

wolf560

Re: Druids, animals, and Spirits.

Postby wolf560 » 21 Oct 2010, 21:43

Great questions Fox,

Druids-
Druids were so much more than spiritual leaders; they were educators, astronomers, healers, ministers, advisors to kings, and historians. For me, when I see the word 'Druid" I think that in their time the title "Doctor" was synonymous. For me although it is not necessary to have both a spiritual and collective education, it certainly helps me out. Having the knowledge of physics and history, mathematics and geography, gives me a background to use in what I study here. For instance, I know that the Druids did not build Stonehenge, they were 2500 years too late to do so.

Animal Guides-
I am an "Animist" so "putting a leash on an Animal Spirit" is not something I do. My Guides are all Animals (notice the capitalization) and they are not only equal to the Deities, they ARE Deities in their own right. To me, "putting a leash on an Animal Spirit" would be the same as trying to "put a doggie leash on Thor and walk him down Rodeo drive in an evening gown". Other people feel that Animal Spirit Guides are lesser beings and that is their right of course because they believe differently.

Spirit-
There are many definitions to this term, for me it is actually the plural form. I believe that there are spirits in everything and everything has a spirit. Trees, rocks, grasslands, meadows, forest, seas, oceans, and lakes... and maybe you could say that it is all one collective "Spirit".

Anyone can slap a title on their name and any organization can draft up a series of things to do so people can feel justified calling themselves by that title. It is not the Title that is important nor is it the organization backing it up.

What is important is that everyone tries to do things so that it brings some dignity and respect to the Title "Druid"....
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 22 Oct 2010, 15:53

Fox,

On druids, it would be possible to be self-educated but I feel to be really inducted into druidhood a formal education in druidry is needed. The ancient druids required extensive formal training. But much of that schooling today can be done in schools, or by reading books and/or the Internet. Stuff specific to druidry can be learned by taking a druidry course like that of OBOD or The Grove of Dana ( NOD ).

I myself have done a fair amount of reading on Celtic topics like history and mythology and I have been involved with tree organizations like the Eastern Native Tree Society and The American Chestnut Foundation and have had natural hobbies like Amateur Astronomy for years but I still don't officially feel like a " druid ". That is where the course comes in. It will tie all my other learnings together with it's teachings. Only then will I consider myself an " official " druid. Of course I also consider my Christian religious beliefs part of my druidic self as well as my formal schooling. Being a druid should first and formost fully permiate ones self with the reverance of the natural world in which we live. The love for nature should be the force that binds all druids together, regardless of differing religious beliefs.

This is only my view of druidic education. Others may have different opinions. I am open to their views. I am a student.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

FoxPhantom

Postby FoxPhantom » 22 Oct 2010, 17:30

Thank you Wolf560, What you said does feel like it fits in place.

Thank you Hawthorn Ent, Sounds like the info can be found in the Library, huh?

Thank you both, since you both mentioned that it can be learned through the schools.
This white fox remains.

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 22 Oct 2010, 18:32

Yes, much can be found in the library. Knowledge is power! By learning own your own. or with others and taking a course in druidry you can become a druid. That is my goal.

:awen:
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 25 Oct 2010, 13:40

1. Druids: I am now utterly confused on how a Druid is called a Druid, I remember that to be known as a druid is called a leader. But is the title available to everyone who has not gone through the coarse?
I think there are two questions here. Firstly, there's the comment that Druids are Leaders. I think it's reasonable to take the approach that a Druid may have been an advisor to a King or Tribal leader, so is part of the "Leadership Team" (to use a more modern term); it's possible that the Druid may head up a school, so again the term Leader can be loosely applied.
In more modern circumstances I think there have been sufficient culture changes to make this term more of an archaic reference.

As for "gone through the course". A challenge as there is little formal information that can be used to identify a course; that there are a number of Druidic organisations offering training using the three grades would imply some agreement, but also a lot of disagreement. Like Wicca, I would not be surprised if there weren't people who lived "Druidry" without holding an official title. Does that make them Druids? Perhaps not a Druid in a specific Order - but then, if I go to another Druidic Order is my grade transferrable?

2. Animal guides: Just as a note, I do believe in animal guides, but I try not to call them much since I remember about them having there own agenda's. How does a person put's a leash on something that is not physically there?
I'm not sure what you mean here. Why would you want to tie down that which would offer you insight and vision? My belief is that a spirit guide can appear however the recipient requires - whether animal or not - but you must allow it to present or not present itself as needed.
3. Spirit: this is something I know little, but close to none. Isn't spirit something that exist all around everyone?
Taoists refer to the Tao as the Great Spirit, exisiting in us and everything around us. To achieve spirituality (IMO) is to be able to see what cannot be seen, to touch what cannot be touched and to understand what cannot be explained. I'm nowhere near that yet!
But - spirit means a lot of things to a lot of people; all I can offer here is my own thought on it.

Good luck with your questions!
Blessings
Frog /|\
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 26 Oct 2010, 17:25

Here are some of my thoughts;

I find role of druid as leader a difficult one to marry. As a non hierarchical order, the OBOD druid grades bard, ovate and druid have equal standing and weight. The course is open to everyone, therefore everyone could potentially acheive druid status. Imagine a world full of druids! I know of druids who have not undertaken any correspondence course, who are self educated, who have learned from mentors and/or are 'living' it. These are often solitary, although I know of some who are members of druid orders. The correspondence courses vary, some require a fair bit of essay work/exams and there are those who do not seem to advocate correspondence courses at all http://www.cobdo.org.uk

I really like the way that the OBOD course unfolds. It suits me. Highly recommended.
Last edited by Heddwen on 26 Oct 2010, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 26 Oct 2010, 17:38

Additional!

RE:animal guides/spirit. I'm a bit unclear about them having their own agenda, perhaps you could expand upon this. I guess from looking around the board it's easy to see the diverse belief range here. We all have our individual perception of spirituality and we are united in our love of Nature and this planet. Just my opinions.

Blessings along your path,

Heddwen

FoxPhantom

Postby FoxPhantom » 26 Oct 2010, 18:43

Ok, so I think I now have what Druids, animals, and Spirit is. But only in the basic perception, since I remember about Druid as something that can't be described as something more or less spiritual. But rather being one with the core aspects of nature, and love. And that the coarse all have a different setting on many orders, At least I can start off with the book of Druidry by Ross Nichols. ( when I was looking around on here and stuff, there is one thing I think I noticed within myself, it was saying that I am not ready for the religious path of druidry, but the spiritual path is calling, with my christian path to be together in my life, also to add, it kinda adds more to my path on being an artist too.)

So as Frog pointed out, that there is more then animal guides. But I have to be open to them. (guess I forgot that, since I opened myself to seeing dragons as well).
I also remember one topic on the board saying how some person brought there animal inside the circle as if it was on a leash. (not sure who said that, but that's what got me a bit confused).

As for spirit, I don't know how I could forget this, but from what Frog, and Wolf560, said, that it fits pretty well.

Thanks Wolf, Frog, Heddwen, and hawthorn ent. From what I can tell, this does help me out on clearing what I think or believe on. But also improves what I believed in. Thank you.

_Fox Phantom
This white fox remains.

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 27 Oct 2010, 13:01

Fox_Phantom,
My pleasure. I find it rewarding to ask questions, to listen to opinions as they may just help define what you're thinking when you don't have the words just right.

A good question, with some great opinions. I love being part of this forum! :hug:
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Postby Tynan Elder Oak » 29 Oct 2010, 21:28

I am a Christic Druid priestess.... I was druid in my out look and philosphy from childhood, having been the daughter of a druid, but the course while not making me druid, made me face many issues that I would have been able to ignore if I was just doing all the 'druid stuff' in my head only. Being a druid is about 'being' is is experiential and enlightening. Being a druid for me is also being available to my community to mark their rites of passage, to stand in hte gateway for them, if that is what they want, to mediate if you like between this and 'other world'

To be a druid, I make use of whatever animal guides come to my aid when I am journeying between the worlds, they are not my servants, they are not my leaders, they are my support team, without qwhich I would be seriously hampered in my role.

As a Christic Druid Priestess (what a mouthful :-| ) I resonate with the concept of Great Spirit, and recognize that if we are truly seeking the truth, and if (as I beleive) that truth is absolute, then we will find it. So for me Great Spirit is over all things drawing together the weave of all things and that weave encompasses all our experiences and manifestations of that. Gods and goddesses are for me arcytypes and facets of the Great Spirit.

We ca not possibly know or even try to claim that we are like the Druids of old... so much of our oral tradition islost to us, but/and we can claim to be endeavouring to be what we feel makes us Druid today.... to encompass what we DO know of the ancient ones, to connect on a purely subjective level with the ancinet ones when we journey and try, as we all must to find a path through this life time we are currently living.

What a privallage to be able to make a life choice instead of just go blindly into the darkness.

Return to “The Common Quest”