Is Psychopathology the root of all problems big & small?

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Gallobhaí
OBOD Bard

Is Psychopathology the root of all problems big & small?

Postby Gallobhaí » 25 Jun 2013, 00:43

I came across an author from Dublin called Thomas Sheridan who writes about psychopathology for the common man; i.e. accessible without any academic and medical terminology. Its very interesting but he poses a strange proposition that the psychopath is a purely predatory consciousness that can appear in a family out of the blue and cannot be helped.
I am attaching a link of a talk he gave in London.
His theories do a very good job to explain a lot of what is wrong in the world and on a personal level. His writings can help you protect yourself from abuses by psychopathic institutions and people. I find they offer hope for the future provided we are armed with the information. Very interesting stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vosKV4O8Aq8

Enjoy and stay safe :)
With love,
Gallobhaí.
Beannachtaí,
Gallobhaí.
:acorns:

Bart
OBOD Ovate

Re: Is Psychopathology the root of all problems big & small?

Postby Bart » 25 Jun 2013, 20:31

A psychopath is a very distinct psychiatriac patient and should not be used lightly. The lack the connection between empathy and cognitive thinking. They can function normal, if not challenged.

To put the world as a psychopath place to me is trolling for attention.

Gallobhaí
OBOD Bard

Postby Gallobhaí » 26 Jun 2013, 01:33

His book 'Puzzling People' answered a lot of questions about encounters I had in my life that left me confused and very hurt and the odd behaviour of certain individuals who hurt people I knew well. The information made perfect sense of the situation I was in.
To address the credibility of his writings: they are taken from authors in psychology, psychiatry and neurosceince; he has just removed the cumbersome language so that the material can be accessible to the average reader. In the video I shared he even warns of labeling people who are not psychopaths 'psychopaths.
I just wanted to share this information as a means of stopping future hurt like what I, and people I know, endured; so that people may protect themselves; because, according to Sheridan, all you need to defeat them is knowledge of what they really are and how to deal with them.
I'm am sorry if it came off as though I was trolling for attention. I was only trying to help by offering what I thought was useful information.
Beannachtaí,
Gallobhaí.
Beannachtaí,
Gallobhaí.
:acorns:

Kalee

Postby Kalee » 21 Apr 2015, 08:41

When I came to Paganism, I kind of held a general 'god and goddess, and everybody else is just an aspect of them' kind of belief. Over time after working with the deities, I really couldn't say I felt that way anymore. They all felt very separate, and even to call too similar ones seemed just as incorrect as someone calling me by my sister's name. It was basically my own experiences that led me to feel this way, not so much anyone told me, or anything I read. Perhaps they share connections, much like humans, but that doesn't make them(or us) the same...

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Postby Hennie » 21 Apr 2015, 10:27

"The lunatics have taken over the Asylum!"

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 21 Apr 2015, 12:06

I agree that "psychopath" has become a word that is thrown around too lightly, and care should be taken in its use. It would be helpful if we had a more accessible popular vocabulary for psychological variations and disorders.

However, I also believe that responsible popularization of important, often complex, scientific ideas is a fundamental responsibility of the expert. Accumulating knowledge without using it in education is narcissistic (If I'm using the world appropriately.) Even if some of the subtlety of the idea is lost in explanation, the opportunity must be taken. Those of us who wish to learn will never turn down such an opportunity.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

gwendolyng

Postby gwendolyng » 23 Apr 2015, 20:10

Oftentimes, when I work with professionals, they have a tendency to wrap a lot of jargon and verbage around themselves as a way to support their position. I am of the belief that "keeping it simple" is the best way to function... And passing that knowledge on to as many people who want to listen as possible. Knowledge and information seem somehow diminished if they are not shared with others.
Gwendolyng
OBOD Druid

The smart ones sit back and let Karma do the work.
Joey Hernandez

Return to “The Common Quest”