Veganism

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Veganism

Postby Aphritha » 21 Feb 2014, 23:47

Apart from warn him how disgusting vegan cheese is,
Seriously...I think that needs to be made more clear to new vegans...though some of the tofurkey pizzas I've eaten are pretty good.
[I really am interested in why those who choose to exclude all animal products from their diet get their heads around the concept of monoculture agriculture (soy) or pest control because anyone who has ever grown their own food knows just how difficult it is to keep the slugs,snails, mice, bird and rabbits off their veg. Is it a case of minimising their effect or is it sticking ones head in the sand and believing not eating meat means no harm to animals?
I think for some it is a case of minimising. In my local experience, both animal and vegetable farming do damage, but the cattle industry(locally) does more harm. Also, the prices of meats that were produced ethically are unaffordable for some, though that also goes for soy based products. My husband isn't vegan, but eats very little meat due to this. On the other hand, we can find local vegetables that were grown thoughtfully for a reasonable price(in their correct seasons).
Health can also affect it. As some need to have meat to stay healthy, others don't do well with animal products. I'm still doing dairy on occasion, but dairy tends to make me pretty fat pretty quickly. I'd like to kick it completely, but yeah...that whole vegan cheese thing... My dad(who was very much a meat and potatos guy) has also recently discovered he does better on a mainly vegan diet. Health needs are as individual as we all are, of course! :)
I do believe the west eats far far too much meat and we should be consuming more vegetables and less meat. I also believe that the meat should be of the highest possible quality as well as more wild meat such as rabbit and pigeon.
Agreed.

AlainaFae
OBOD Ovate

Postby AlainaFae » 08 Mar 2014, 17:15

Almost every single post on this thread has been interesting, informative, and/or enjoyable for me to read, actually :D Thank you, Horizon, for starting the thread :shake:

I had correctly interpreted Horizon's general intent for the thread from the first post in requesting only vegans (which is very funny because I typically am cursed with eyes that read faster than my brain, resulting in numerous cases of misinterpretation and misunderstanding :oops: a very bad tendency for reading exam questions), so I was surprised to see people posting about vegetarian and omnivorous diets addition to their vegan (dietary and otherwise) experiences. That's the nature of forums, though; unless you're a moderator of a thread, people are going to post what they choose to with enthusiasm, freedom, and impunity (as they also can with drinking Guinness! :gulp: sorry, been trying to find a place to use that smilie :whistle: I like them way too much I think) This allows for a wide variety of topics and points of view to be brought to a single discussion and that's a great thing, but the risk of meandering, tangents, and sometimes complete topic derailment is inherently present also.

Reading through the series of Horizon's responses, the impression I got was that Horizon genuinely endeavored to prevent defensiveness being triggered from either point of view, lifestyle vegans and non-vegans alike. The wording used in the original thread post, citing in paraphrase-form this tendency for defensiveness in the differing views, was interpreted (consciously or subconsciously) as outright defensiveness, and I think that is what people were reacting to rather than any actual defensiveness on Horizon's part (I could be wrong, of course). From what I read, Horizon's responses expressed only frustration at the intent for the thread having been misunderstood or overlooked; I like to think that in this instance I absorbed the exchanges from a mostly objective-third-party point of view :anx:

ANYwho, I venture to suggest that another thread be started called "What you Eat, Why, and your Druidry" or something to that effect so that it's open for all manner of lifestyle commentary relating to food :D I tried to do some hunting to see if there already was a thread for that on the public or members forums, but.. I got sidetracked by other interesting posts (there's oh so many of them!!) :oops: If there is an existing one that I missed, I would appreciate a link to it! If there is not one, I might just go ahead and start one myself :wink: And it would be open and welcome to reposts/reposting pieces from this or other threads so that people don't need to manually retype things they've already posted.

Thanks again to Horizon and everyone else that has posted here! :hug:

From the abundance of the Glen,
AlainaFae
"Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people." - CG Jung Image

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 08 Mar 2014, 18:47

ANYwho, I venture to suggest that another thread be started called "What you Eat, Why, and your Druidry" or something to that effect so that it's open for all manner of lifestyle commentary relating to food :D
:tiphat:
Compliments to you for your wellrounded post...
I'm all up for a discussion as suggested. As far as I know there hasn't been a recent one so I'd suggest starting a fresh one instead of gravedigging in old topics...
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

moonlitewolf
OBOD Bard

Postby moonlitewolf » 07 Apr 2014, 01:10

Just typed the word 'vegan' into search to see what came up! And found this discussion....I deleted in and out of vegetarianism since I was 14. I have now been a vegan for 14/15 years now. I was never a happy meat eater, thinking about what I was eating.....if it breathed.....it upset me, so eventually I stopped fir good. Becoming a vegan was the next step...I unconsciously began to cut out dairy milk and swapping it for soya (never buy it now).
Personally I'm just not happy to eat something that lived..... there is still an amount of suffering that comes with the production of milk and eggs so they them out if my diet.
Is my spiritual belief wrapped in my choice to be vegan or visa versa, I don't really know for sure? I guess they are entwined (ahimsa, I'm a yogi of 18 years practice)..... and as my knowledge Self has deepened my need not to eat animal products did too....or was it the other way around. Which came first... the chicken or the egg?
I have had my time with people questioning my reasons for being vegan.... I never question theirs to be carnivore nor do I seek to convert.
Each to their own, one wo/mans meat is another's nut cutlet, which incidentally I had for lunch today, my partner had roast lamb and my son had roast turkey.... And it would totally freak both of them out if I ate meat now.

MLW

WildOak

Postby WildOak » 25 Apr 2014, 17:01

ANYwho, I venture to suggest that another thread be started called "What you Eat, Why, and your Druidry" or something to that effect so that it's open for all manner of lifestyle commentary relating to food :D
I'm all up for a discussion as suggested. As far as I know there hasn't been a recent one so I'd suggest starting a fresh one instead of gravedigging in old topics...
I would also like to participate in that discussion. I noticed that the idea was posted over a month ago, but I don't see a new discussion by that title; did it not happen yet, or did I miss it?

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 25 Apr 2014, 17:38

I would also like to participate in that discussion. I noticed that the idea was posted over a month ago, but I don't see a new discussion by that title; did it not happen yet, or did I miss it?
I think this is still the only game in town. Share!

Stone
OBOD Bard

Postby Stone » 25 May 2014, 09:55

I have enjoyed reading through this thread and am sorry it seems to have come to a halt :-(

I have been a meat eater all my life but have just turned vegetarian. I have thought about it for a long time and am so glad to have made the decision. It has made me allot more conscious of what I am eating and my diet in general. As well as not eating meat and fish anymore I am also trying to cut out refined carbs etc. I am really enjoying exploring new food and ways of eating and I am not missing meat at all. I have chosen not to become vegan at this stage but may well be open to change in the future.

I would be most interested to learn more about being vegan and how it has had an influence on peoples spiritual path :)
Best wishes

Stone

If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through. Chinese Proverb.

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 27 May 2014, 19:19

Here are a couple of great links if you want to learn more.

Vegan Starter Kit

The Vegan Society

Forest Dryad
OBOD Bard

Postby Forest Dryad » 08 Jun 2014, 22:43

I would be most interested to learn more about being vegan and how it has had an influence on peoples spiritual path :)
Well, from my perspective I don't see my veganism influencing my spirituality, nor the other way around. Rather, I see them as branches of the same tree - they're separate but part of the same whole. They share the same roots, and those roots are respect for the environment, honouring all life, acting in the manner I feel most responsible. That's what it is for me, anyway, it's why I'm a vegan, and why I'm pagan. They fit together, but it's not a "chicken and egg" scenario - neither is responsible for the other.

To clarify one point though, I don't see veganism as a requisite of being a "good" (whatever that means) druid, or pagan, or person. I see it is part of being a good me. If you think eating organic, local meat is for you, then that's your choice to make - enjoy that.

Stone
OBOD Bard

Postby Stone » 09 Jun 2014, 09:27

Thanks Bracken - will go and take a look :)
Best wishes

Stone

If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through. Chinese Proverb.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 09 Jun 2014, 15:07

Well, from my perspective I don't see my veganism influencing my spirituality, nor the other way around. Rather, I see them as branches of the same tree - they're separate but part of the same whole. They share the same roots, and those roots are respect for the environment, honouring all life, acting in the manner I feel most responsible. That's what it is for me, anyway, it's why I'm a vegan, and why I'm pagan. They fit together, but it's not a "chicken and egg" scenario - neither is responsible for the other.
I can grasp this concept: it's about authenticity and being true to yourself: in your life, in your energy and/or identity, animalproducts have no role. Would you eat/use them anyway, then it would probably bring you off balance, and by effect, disturb your spiritual practice as well.

So, trancending the debate on "meat, yay or nay" it becomes about discovering who you are, how your body functions best, and accepting the truth that seems right for you, while being open to other truths for other individuals.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Alanna5

Postby Alanna5 » 16 Nov 2014, 10:28

Or is it simply that by choosing a plant based diet one can ignore that there is no life without death?

Is it because western society has become so disconnected from the cycle of life, all meat is in plastic trays in supermarkets, that the very idea of having to kill in order to survive had become such an anathema?

My own personal approach is as follows:

1) Meat - sourcing meat from ethical sources, eating less of it and treating it as something special, eating the whole animal not just the choice cuts, making stock from the bones etc. I have bred my own chickens and raised the cockerels until they were heavy enough to eat, then culled them quickly and fast as I could.
2) Vegetables - buying seasonally and choosing organic where possible. Growing as much myself as possible whilst gardening in a organic way.
3) Dairy - again buying from ethical and local sources where possible. I do have a bit of a lactose intolerance so tend to substitute Almond milk for cows milk.
4) Eggs - Only ever buying free-range eggs or keeping chickens myself.
5) Honey - Bee's are in sharp decline and the majority of wild colonies have died out, so to ensure their future, people need to buy honey from small scale hobby beekeepers who live locally. I have kept bee's myself and intend to do so in the future, I try to keep them in an unobtrusive way only going into the colony when I really need to.

I do believe this means I'm connected to the cycle of life, in all it's shades. The juxtaposition of this is that I have been vegetarian, my partner is Veggie and I eat a 70/30 Vegetarian diet. I don't believe that just because I eat meat, I should eat meat all the time. Our ancestors didn't, meat was something very special and to be cherished
I share your point of view and in my eating habits are very similar to yours: I eat organic food (veg and meat), and I try to eat less meat and no dairy products. Recently i've introduce some vegan meals too (they are delicious to), i think the balance is the most important :)

Na paz do bosque

Return to “The Common Quest”