purpose of life

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
momo
OBOD Ovate

purpose of life

Postby momo » 24 Mar 2014, 14:26

Hi
At the moment a question is very important to me: could it be a purpose of life to heal the pain of being separated from the whole? Once I hug the pain instead of pushing it away it releases so much and shows that all was just an illusion. Is it a purpose of life ?
curious about your thinkings
momo

TaintedxxBright

Re: purpose of life

Postby TaintedxxBright » 24 Mar 2014, 16:59

I agree with you. In life we cant go around things, or under them or over them...we must move through them. We must allow the emotions to engulf us and feel them wholeheartedly, and then release them gently.
I am this tainted, brighter shade...
of screams that sing, through clarity's ring.
The pieces, broken, were all....transfixed.

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 25 Mar 2014, 04:58

Sit with it and don't try and avoid it. You will achieve a whole new way of perceiving the world.
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 25 Mar 2014, 06:09

Only in druidry people have such short comments on the meaning of life :tiphat:

I can only agree: realising that duality and seperation are illusions and embracing oneness brings that stillpoint where all makes sense.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 25 Mar 2014, 09:39

Does there need to be a purpose?

Inasmuch as I believe there is one, it simply to be, to fully experience everything this wonderful and awe-inspiring natural universe is, as it is part of you and you are part of it. It won't all be sunshine and daffodils, but the all experiences have the value you assign to them. They are neutral in and of themselves.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 25 Mar 2014, 09:53

The meaning of life is to experience it. To experience it as a separate being, to experience it as a part of the whole. It's all part of the wholeness.

If the Unity is One Thing how can we ever be separate from it? Perhaps separateness is an illusion. And even the illusion is part of this Unity.

Duellist
OBOD Bard

Postby Duellist » 25 Mar 2014, 10:51

Submission to the Source-of-all.

That's it for me in a nutshell,
~n.
Not to criticise (mine is, after all, just another perspective), but submission has never struck me as very druidic.

Reverence, together with the respect for wisdom and power, seems more druidic. We are thinking, feeling, reasoning beings and submission has always felt a little too much like denying those traits which make us human. There is a time for acceptance, for a lack of illusions as to our choices and opportunities, but submission has always felt almost like an abdication of responsibility...

So what is the purpose of life? I suppose I just feel that the purpose in life is what we find or choose for ourselves. For some, that might be saving natural spaces from human greed. For others, their purpose is to inspire and support the next generation. For me... I suppose I am open to suggestions, but always a sceptic.
Sanity is overrated...

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 25 Mar 2014, 11:44

submission has always felt a little too much like denying those traits which make us human.
(....) submission has always felt almost like an abdication of responsibility...
Words might mean different things to different people. That's always the handicap on online boards. I can't speak for Nollaig but to me submission, used in the relationship to the divine or "all", doesn't involve dehumanising or relinquishing responsibility. It's more of an extatic immersion, in relinquishing the fiction of being an entity seperate from the whole. In that sense, submission makes you more; more human, more responsible.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 25 Mar 2014, 12:04

There is no wider purpose in life. IMO.

Live in the moment and make the most of every second. Drink every drop from every experience.

Thx
David

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 25 Mar 2014, 14:13

The meaning of life is to experience it.
+1

elementalheart
OBOD Druid

Postby elementalheart » 25 Mar 2014, 15:07

Interesting. When I read the OP my response was no, it's not the purpose of life, but the way to live it fully, to experience being the whole and not in denial of the parts we label as pain/negative/separation etc. And as this entirety of experience is embraced, it does indeed transform, the acceptance of duality becomes the experience of wholeness and THAT is the purpose of life, experience of the wholeness, without label, judgement or separation of what we want to be from what we don't. To be creator and creation, invocation and evocation, light and dark, all things and nothing.

I'm never as brief and concise as others ;)
Image Image 2013BS 2013LI 2013SB 2014IL 2014LI

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 25 Mar 2014, 15:21

+1
Surprised to see you capitulating to the Google world-dominance machine ;-)

Duellist
OBOD Bard

Postby Duellist » 25 Mar 2014, 15:34

I can't speak for Nollaig but to me submission, used in the relationship to the divine or "all", doesn't involve dehumanising or relinquishing responsibility. It's more of an extatic immersion, in relinquishing the fiction of being an entity seperate from the whole. In that sense, submission makes you more; more human, more responsible.
I must confess that this makes no sense to me at all. Submission, from my perspective, is saying to the divine "tell me what to do" and then doing it without question. Perhaps I am approaching it from the wrong angle...

My relationship with the divine is complicated, but I'd consider it a greater sin to blindly follow orders than to demand answers. Once you start questioning, you are not submitting to anyone, you are agreeing with them. Of course, I have never agreed with the idea of a 'perfect' and infallible deity of any kind.
Sanity is overrated...

Duellist
OBOD Bard

Postby Duellist » 25 Mar 2014, 15:52

Ah, but my first question would always be "why should I submit?" in this case.

It's not even a case of wondering what is in it for me, but more about whether I serve the greater good (in the long or short term) by doing so...
Sanity is overrated...

Duellist
OBOD Bard

Postby Duellist » 25 Mar 2014, 16:42

You seem to suggest the question was not rhetorical. I have encountered things worthy of my reverence, but never of submission...
Sanity is overrated...

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 25 Mar 2014, 17:13

I have an alternative tack. Which, if any, of the following are we considering?

The purpose?
A purpose?
My purpose?
My purpose now?

I personally do not believe in an extrinsic purpose of life-as-a-concept, but I do have a set of intrinsic foci for what I do with the time & energy I have in my life. They could be construed as a purpose, in that they feed a specific overall aim, but that aim is not immutable. So, it's not "a/the/my purpose" as far as I'm concerned.

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 25 Mar 2014, 17:27

I have an alternative tack. Which, if any, of the following are we considering?

The purpose?
A purpose?
My purpose?
My purpose now?

I personally do not believe in an extrinsic purpose of life-as-a-concept, but I do have a set of intrinsic foci for what I do with the time & energy I have in my life. They could be construed as a purpose, in that they feed a specific overall aim, but that aim is not immutable. So, it's not "a/the/my purpose" as far as I'm concerned.
Or,

In no particular order...

What is the purpose of a leaf bursting from a bud?
What is the purpose of a tree bending in the wind?
What is the purpose of a blackbird singing high in a tree?
What is the purpose of a dog lying in the sunshine?
What is the purpose of a maggot eating within a corpse?

I think the purpose of life; a purpose in life; my purpose in life; and my purpose in life now can be found in these questions.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 25 Mar 2014, 17:28

+1
Surprised to see you capitulating to the Google world-dominance machine ;-)
I am a surrender monkey....I am also using bit strips on FB now.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 25 Mar 2014, 17:32

Submission isn't a problem; it depends on what you're submitting to.

For me, the spiritual journey is a submission of the ego that takes me into higher, wider and deeper dimensions of self-knowledge.

In some circumstances I must relinquish momentary control, and trust in processes, relationships, events and people, letting them do what they must. But I wouldn't relinquish control to someone/thing I don't trust. And certainly not at the expense of life and existence.

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 25 Mar 2014, 18:50

@mountainheart

:)

My answer to each of those is "there isn't one" or possibly "because that's what it does" if I'm feeling circular.

The difference between your examples and humans is our large degree of sapience, our capacity for reflection. Perhaps the search for meaning or purpose speaks of a desire for guidance in how to live, given that we are capable of considerations which a maggot is not. It simply is what it is and does what it does. We have infinite choices, some constructive to ourselves, others and our environment, and some destructive. So perhaps a/the purpose is to become our uttermost selves, the quintessential expression of human-ness. This, I believe, may echo the sentiments above about the purpose of life being to simply experience it fully.

The concept of "the quintessential expression of human-ness", of course, leads to a whole 'nother set of questions!

Return to “The Common Quest”