Druidism and Shinto on TV Tokyo

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Druidism and Shinto on TV Tokyo

Postby Sciethe » 20 Apr 2014, 13:35

Greetings and Oestre joy to all.

A request- lately our seed group had a request from TV Tokyo to film and interview some of us, it was for a programme series on the history of the world for airing in Japan. The crew wanted to compare Druidism and Japan's indigenous spirituality, Shinto. Feeling that there was a great deal in common between the two paths, and having checked with the OBOD office to see if anyone felt they'd like to take over/ could do it better, a few of us agreed. It was a surreal yet heart-warming experience. Despite the language barrier there was clearly a great deal in common.

None of us will have access to the actual programme when it goes out, and it will air sometime soon, if it hasn't already. We'd be really pleased if anyone with access to Japanese TV and who speaks the language could report back on how they think it all went.

Blessings,
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Re: Druidism and Shinto on TV Tokyo

Postby Whitemane » 20 Apr 2014, 14:52

Seriously cool :yay: and I agree that there is a commonality.

I have several Japanese coworkers, and will see what they can do for us.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 20 Apr 2014, 16:59

Excellent, thanks Whitemane.
Attached a pic from the day during filming.
The ritual of course involves the use of the word "Hail". The last use of it, very loud, coincided with a sudden massive hailstorm out of a clear sky. A good omen I think. :grin:
S
Attachments
TV Tokyo Newlands 2014.JPG
TV Tokyo Newlands 2014.JPG (126.3 KiB) Viewed 18408 times
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Alwin
OBOD Druid

Postby Alwin » 20 Apr 2014, 18:54

Wow! Cool! Did you actually meet some people who practice Shinto?
Maybe you can ask the producer to send you a link if the series is available on the web.
2013 SB I • 2013 SB II • 2014 IL I • 2014 IL II • 2014 BS • 2015 BS I • 2015 BS II • 2015 SB • 2016 SB • 2017 BS
--
www.Lichtspur.ch
www.artflakes.com/de/shop/lichtspur

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 20 Apr 2014, 19:45

Wow! Cool! Did you actually meet some people who practice Shinto?
Maybe you can ask the producer to send you a link if the series is available on the web.
Hi Alwyn,
Some of the crew were very Shinto aware, it does not have the negative connotation or disconnection from the mainstream that Paganism sometimes has and is well embedded in the Eastern culture. There were no actual "priests" though, bit of an effort to ship them all the way to our Grove the UK!

I am advised that there are no plans to make this series available on the web, sadly.
S

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 23 Apr 2014, 18:28

Update, had an E-mail from the asst. producer:

"I am pleased to say that our episode on paganism will be broadcasted this Saturday in Japan.
We have a very short teaser up and running on our website: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/137/index.html
I hope I can get you DVDs when we complete our episodes on the UK.
Also, the presenter has posted your pictures on her production diary: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/137/diary/index.html
Thank you so much for taking part in the filming!"

Some of the Bing translations from the Japanese are priceless. All seems good though. :)
S

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 23 Apr 2014, 20:39

Nice pictures on the diary and the translations from Google were quite sweet.

Pleased to hear about the update. I have a couple of people keeping an eye out for this program.

BTW, you may have to make a DVD player region-independent to watch the DVDs, but it's quite easy, and as a bonus you can order DVDs from anywhere. We did this so that my wife could order some murder mystery DVDs from Australia.
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 23 Apr 2014, 21:10

Thanks Whitemane,
you are a mighty rock in a world with too much universal swirly nothingness. :shake:
S

Alwin
OBOD Druid

Postby Alwin » 24 Apr 2014, 09:15

Does your seed group already have a manager and an office in Japan to handle all the requests? :grin:
2013 SB I • 2013 SB II • 2014 IL I • 2014 IL II • 2014 BS • 2015 BS I • 2015 BS II • 2015 SB • 2016 SB • 2017 BS
--
www.Lichtspur.ch
www.artflakes.com/de/shop/lichtspur

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 24 Apr 2014, 14:18

I showed the trailer to a Japanese friend and she immediately became interested.

She identified two of the presenters as well-known TV personalities in Japan, suggesting a lot of resources and backing for the program.
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 24 Apr 2014, 19:25

Does your seed group already have a manager and an office in Japan to handle all the requests? :grin:
Stop it, you're scaring me :boggle:
I showed the trailer to a Japanese friend and she immediately became interested.

She identified two of the presenters as well-known TV personalities in Japan, suggesting a lot of resources and backing for the program.
I'd gathered that the young lady presenter we took to the woods and got a trifle muddy was an up and coming media phenomenon, but not until we actually met at the Grove. You never know, eh? It's not the first celeb. we've taken there though, John Peel came and recorded our drumming for Radio 4 a decade or so ago. It was a pretty cool party. :yay:

I just hope the result is a positive one for understanding of Druidism in the world at large. If we can make another link in Japan with Shinto then I'll be satisfied.
S

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 24 Apr 2014, 20:45

I didn't ask for a word-for-word translation, but just for a general impression of the trailer, but my Japanese friend thought it was generally positive and she is going to try and catch the program herself.

I don't think you need to worry ambush journalism here, any more than you did with John Peel. :drum:
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 30 May 2014, 12:10

Update for those interested,
TV Tokyo have very kindly sent me a DVD of the episode that our Druidic efforts were featured in, and it all looks good. There are Wicca Man and Cottingley Fairies asides, but they are put into context. There is a nice letter too, part of which attached. The programme does draw together and look at a few commonalities between various indigenous spiritualties including Druidism and Shinto. I'd say job done. :)

What do your friends think, Whitemane?
S
Attachments
DSCF4908.JPG
DSCF4908.JPG (196.83 KiB) Viewed 18232 times

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 30 May 2014, 16:00

:oops:

They recorded the show, but last I heard, they hadn't watched it.
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

ideagirl
OBOD Bard

Postby ideagirl » 13 Apr 2015, 01:13

Ooh! Is there any way to order copies of the DVD? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have it, even in Japanese--my husband speaks Japanese.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 13 Apr 2015, 10:57

Ooh! Is there any way to order copies of the DVD? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have it, even in Japanese--my husband speaks Japanese.
Hi ideagirl, I know of no way, unfortunately my contact at TV Tokyo has moved on to greater things. I can suggest writing a letter of enquiry to the address of the London Bureau which is at the top of the letter a few posts back on this thread. They're pretty friendly and helpful there.

Hope that helps!
Sciethe

Return to “The Common Quest”