Hereditary Druid

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Re: Hereditary Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 14 Jan 2015, 14:39

there it is. i am 'outed'. i came in search of a 'hereditary' druid; one like I, and have been met only with misunderstanding and judgement. if there are any out there who can relate to what i have offered, please email me. i wish to share experiences.
I am not sure what it was you were hoping to find. I am at least a third or fourth generation Druid (depends whether you count atheist father or not) but I don't find that I can relate to your experiences any more than anyone else here. I'm not even sure that I want to as I don't believe that being born into a family of Druids is any more special than being born into a family of Catholics. My experience of being a Druid in Wexford and Derbyshire are totally different to yours of being a Druid in Canada for a whole host of reasons. One thing I do know from my studies is this - if you spend all your time trying to find someone like yourself you will never be satisfied and you will miss a lot of opportunities to be with people you like.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 14 Jan 2015, 15:06

I came in search of a 'hereditary' druid; one like I, and have been met only with misunderstanding and judgement.
Personally, I am sorry the OP feels this way and if I have contributed to that feeling then it was never my intention.
The medium of letters is an imperfect one at best and fraught with miscommunication and misunderstandings.

In a piece of synchronisity Damh has written about the various varieties of Druid here and that the big forest of Druidry has room for them all...
http://www.paganmusic.co.uk/the-forest-of-druidry/
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 14 Jan 2015, 17:14

I don't believe that being born into a family of Druids is any more special than being born into a family of Catholics.
Exactly. Many of us have been through periods of intense visionary experience, but then so have lots of Catholics - for example. The visionary experience is part of the human condition and not remotely limited to Druidism, although Druidism respects it as a Holy state more than some philosophies. But usually it is (while intense at the time) something that one eventually becomes comfortable with and is just a normal part of life, and a beauty of existence. That's part of the path, internalising the unimaginably astounding, and living joyfully with it in one's life. But it is also, in general, a very personal aspect of a Druid's experience and not something likely to be shared on the 'net except in poetry and the like.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Return to “The Common Quest”